working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

215,141 to 215,160 of 234,467 messages
XB
08/02/2013 at 20:15

Sounds like moisture, Cheesy. I'm usually toastie with just a l/s technical top and a jacket. Hat and gloves are essential and a buff to keep my neck warm is optional.

Did you take any food on board?

(I walk a lot)

M...eldy    pirate
08/02/2013 at 20:15

XBcan you get on a bus somewhere and run home?

Cotton tshirt will always hold water, your sweat will freeze and you will get cold.  Get a proper wicking base layer and things should start to improve

08/02/2013 at 20:18

Hello my lovelies

70!? Pah! My dad's 82 step Gran Gran 103 this year!!

ahh Westie, what a shame   but glad you're being sensible

4 layers!!?? Blimey Cheesey! I was in 3/4 trousers, long sleeve top and one pair of gloves this evening and was toasty  It's my hands that cause me trouble

But it was a lovely 4 miles round the park with DD pace seems to be getting a little better

08/02/2013 at 20:21

Cheesey all my LSR are run/walk!

and even some of my shorter ones!!

M...eldy    pirate
08/02/2013 at 20:23

R/W is good  

I was subjected to a 30 mins session on th cross trainer yesterday ... I will be so glad when I can run proper like again

08/02/2013 at 20:39

Hello again

I've managed to find a plan, a Hal Higdon one, after posting on the other side! 

Westy - Sorry to hear that you've had to pull out of your half, let's hope you can find another one in the future

Cheesy - I'm the opposite of you, I'm still running in a short sleeved tee shirt and shorts with a high viz gilet. I suppose that I'm lucky in that respect, I find that my hands and arms are cold for about 10 minutes but soon warm up after that. Well done on the long run though and as XB said you should invest in a wicking underlayer..

XB - You're much more practised than me at this running lark. Are there any alternative routes that you can run? Where I live I can go east or west into urban or countryside if necessary. Where I live is hardly picturesque and both of those routes mean that I run alongside the A2.

Podds - I've chosen this one as it's close to home and it also means that the family can come and support me and can cheer/boo me each time I go passed! Also, should I have to drop out then assistance is always close at hand. As mentioned above Gravesend and Northfleet are hardly picturesque areas so running multiple laps of the Cyclopark won't be a problem!

Here's a question for the parents out there, my computer faces away from the living room door and my son, 16, crept out of the living room and made me jump while I was reading something online. He does this on a fairly regular occurence, in revengewhile he was in the living room watching TV I took my sweaty pants out of my bag from todays run and rubbed them in his face. The question is should I report myself to Childline or be pleased with my revenge? (I know how I think!)

Forgot to say 8 miles done and dusted at lunchtime at an average pace of 9.50 which is quite fast for me! 

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 20:43
08/02/2013 at 20:44

morning

Good news C1 is improving but a little concerning she needs a phot of her insides as more trouble may be brewing. Sounds as though you're having a right mixed bag of weather at the moment, chuggs

Awwww, sluggy, I sad film always gets me - I'm still not over Bambi or ET   Good to hear Alfie is enjoying playing with you but a shame its not so easy to get pics of him.

LOL at you supervising FGO looking for his shoe, M...eldy - sweet   How fab you've secured the cycle ride place - will it be the same route you watched the olympians race on ?

Aww, Tubbs, yes, lets celebrate being friends - I count the WAISter chums amongst my most dependable

Cheesy, that does sound like a lot of layers - I'm a sissy but would only run in a top and light tech top.

I cannot believe your Ma is only 70, Podds - a gymslip Mum - both my olds are 80+

Pippi, love the story of the kid who was hoping to get Judge Dread as his kid bro - reminds me of when no 1 said he wanted another brother (he already had no 2) and the new bro should be called Senor Fusion (after a cartoon character)

westie, I hope you're taking care - most defo a WAISter meet is required this year - been a while since we all tried to meet up - just usually the northern hard nuts or the southern softies.

Oh darn, L'pool marafun cancelled - oh, and to think I'd just posted my entry fee to them

Oh Spence, at last, some sign that your parenting efforts are paying off. No 2 is so unforgiving at the moment - everything is black and white despite my efforts to get him to see the whole picture

I seem to recall we were all invited to DL's CP lesmanian hoedown but none of us had the obligatory check shirt  - now I have a wardrobe full

And woop, woop, Daffy's grade a flootle exam - I gave up after grade 3 violin - made the neighbours very happy

Nowt to report here - Ma's good eye has started to deteriorate again so she's now registered partially sighted, I managed to lose half a tooth but I dont know how- it has been patched up but left a hole in my purse. Just the usual this weekend - cycle to med, cake and football

Mwah

x

08/02/2013 at 20:46

GFB - be proud of your revenge  

08/02/2013 at 21:28

duffle coat, earmuffs, mittens and gummies for me on the  bike in this weather.

that'll learn him GFB.

08/02/2013 at 22:24
M...eldy wrote (see)

I appear to be the lucky recipient of a ballot place in the London-Surrey cycle ride, all around the Olympic bike course and a finish on the Mall 

Me too Melds but Mr P got refused

Hello Yumbly

I am not cycling this weekend - way too cold and windy for a southern softie like me and I am marshalling yet again on Sunday.......

XB
08/02/2013 at 22:28

Blimey. A Waister fest on two wheels. When is it?

08/02/2013 at 22:33

Err? good question!  Early August I think - Mr P entered us both in the ballot months ago but the confirmation / rejection came through today a la VLM style

XB
09/02/2013 at 07:24

Morning

I'm a man with a plan; call me the Plan Man.

How does this sound? Drive to Preston, jog around the Guild Wheel to the start of the parkrun (4 miles) run the parkrun (3 miles) jog back. That'll be a refreshing way to do a LSR and there'll be a tempo workout in the middle. Perfect.

09/02/2013 at 07:43

Sound like a plan man

I'm doing 10 miles in the sleet

and I put on 2lb overnight FFS!!

How can it be so easy to put on and so difficult to get off!!

09/02/2013 at 08:00
What are you doing weighing yourself that often spence?? It'll just be water or summat! Everyone fluctuates a bit day to day

Good plan xb!

My parents are only 53
09/02/2013 at 09:02

Morning

CBA to go for a run this morning - far too much effort!!

Will go shopping instead - will be interesting to look at the meat and processed aisles......although to be honest you could give me a pack of mince or a slab of meat from a butcher and tell me it was beef and I would have no idea if this was the case or not

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
09/02/2013 at 09:45

morning

I have a strong irresistable case of CBA today. Could be because I have a weeks leave (my deputy is also off next week so I may get the odd call). I've decided that I will just mooch around today doing little more than pottering in my jammies (wonder what heppened to her).

Spence, step away from the weighing scale 

Daffs, I've been reading your blog, you are so inspiring 

Nice plan there Mr Plan Man 

Shall we stop talking about getting together and trying to think of reasons to do so and just do it?

First we need to agree on a date. What about sometime during the school hols so the teachers and other school workers don't have to worry about having to get to work on a Monday? 

Then we need a venue, which I guess could be somewhere in the middle of the country and with a mainline train station.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
09/02/2013 at 09:49

What about York? (I know it's not in the middle )

but it has a mainline train station, lovely tourist type things to do AND Beanzie 

09/02/2013 at 10:14

Or we could support at Chester which is also in the middle

BTW Daffs - shut up! (about parents who are too young to have a doctor daughter!)

Now go away I've got 1000 words to write (including footnotes - which might mean I have to be fairly succinct ....)

XB
09/02/2013 at 11:47

Plan A worked. Almost like a dream.

The car was out of fuel so I had to fill up I was tight for time the first 4 miles were faster than I intended. Parkrun started and I eased into a comfortable pace and didn't look at my watch. 24.46. 5 minutes faster than I was aiming. Whoops. Then 5 miles back to the car at a significantly slower pace.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.