working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

215,161 to 215,180 of 233,034 messages
09/02/2013 at 12:01

I dont normally get that cold! I've run in way colder with less on! and yes, I was in shorts as usual, I like to keep my top half warm (not hot) and get rid of heat through my legs.

If its cold/wet I normally wear a fully water/windproof but very light jacket over my layers, but the last few runs I changed to that blue jacket as seen in my snow run pics, then a couple layers under it. That jacket isnt particularly water proof and it was a cold rain last half of run, so I got wet through. I think thats half the problem, so I will go back to my other jacket when wet/cold.

T Shirt I will change. If I cant keep heat in, that will make me even colder!

Meldy: Wicking top .. I have seen them advertised and talked about, Possibly a similar thing to my lighter running tops (summer ones) which never seem to get soaked! I wil try that instead. Makes sense.

XB Spence: I do wear gloves and a hat to wrap my head torch on. It was only my core getting cold, not legs/hands/head/other bits. When I have worn my water/wind proof in sub zero temps before, I have usually had to take layers off! this cold thing is a new experience and not one I like! (Insert southern softy quip here )

As for food, I had a whole yoghurt for lunch, what more could I need I also take a bottle of made up energy stuff with salt, normally eat a few dates on way round (didnt last night) but dont like actually eating before I go. Maybe I simply ran out of fuel and the fire went out  after all, it was a longer run than I have been doing recently.

Yums: I guess us softy southern WAISTers need the extra warmth

Meldy & Podds: well done on getting those tickets! that sounds a great route! I do remember when watching it on telly it would be great to do (along with the MTB course, and just staying alive for the same amount of time they run for )

Spence: you didnt accidentally eat the cat in your sleep did you? It will soon come back off

Nice run XB, that planned worked!

Not doing anything much today, got aquariums to clean, then some tidying up to do.

Oh yes, Roni managed to do her first ever continuous 10k Run last night Indoors on our tready, but she stuck at it, and is well pleased with herself! Thats on her Friday LSR. It wont be long before she does the same on our sunday forest runs

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 12:03
09/02/2013 at 12:08

well done Ronni and well done The Plan Man

53!   your parents ARE 53!!!????

I had the most miserable of 10 milers  it wasn't snow it was more rain with slippery attitude nearly went a cropper a couple of times and knee just gave way a couple of times too

On the plus side hands were toasty warm in three pairs of gloves

I can hear the boy cleaning his teeth whilst singing the national anthem!!!???

09/02/2013 at 12:23

Excellent plan Dragon Lady

I'm up for most things unless racing that weekend (and there aren't really many of those as I spend my time avoiding them!!)

Prepared to travel just about anywhere as going anywhere from my place is always a trek so it just boils down to preparing for a long trek

Cheesy - by wicking layer Meldy means any technical fabric running top - basically not cotton!  You can get them cheap or spend a fortune, personally i've found little difference between the two but would never do anything sweat inducing in a cotton t-shirt for reasons given

09/02/2013 at 12:58
Morning. I have done miles. Went to work with eldest which is near hospital where I work. Knew it was roughly 5 miles which was about right distance. Not a bad route as it incfew cycle paths. It's the way I used to cycle to work.
09/02/2013 at 13:54

*hands over  smug face to Amandax*

09/02/2013 at 16:22

Good to know the plan worked XB - oh dear, poor you, going 5 minutes faster than planned ... what a disaster!

I'm bored.

14 words over - but I've got my 10 percent to play with ... I did mean to run 15 minutes ago. ... hmmm.

I've got a conclusion to write andit's nasty and drizzly out there. But rain tomorrow. ??

Decision. Write essay. Get it done. Run tomorrow rain or not and how virtuous will I feel (if wet and cold)

Essay is a lot more intellectual and literate and better typed than my posts on here might imply.

09/02/2013 at 16:45

well done Pippi

We have friends coming for dinner, I might* have wine

*There's no friggin' might about it!!

M...eldy    pirate
09/02/2013 at 18:47

I have cycled for 3 and a half feckin hours.  It was miserable and cold and my feet were that feckin cold they hurt. It was the slowest I have ever done that route, I had to walk for 5 mins home just to get the blood back in my toes .... I have had a bath ( a VERY rare occurance) and squash risotto and I am now on coffee & chocolate

Mountain bikikng tomorrow  

Podds!!!  Thats excellent news, we will need a cunning plan  ...and all this talk of a WAISTer meet is fairly obvious??    They should all be stood at strategic points on the course to cheer us on of course !!!

Good plan XB and glad it worked

Spence ... when I woke up this morning and saw huge great flakes coming down I wasnt impressed .. surely it should be spring by now?

XB
09/02/2013 at 19:04

Blimey, well peddalled, Mouldy.

I have been lying prone on the sofa alternating between snoozing and watching It's A Wonderful Life. It's a wonderful life

M...eldy    pirate
09/02/2013 at 19:11

Managed to watch the end of the Wales v France game whilst I was troughing   !

09/02/2013 at 19:36

I've been mostly hoovering and cleaning floors

Found the t shirt and hoodie I sewed "WAISTERS" on to for Outlaw today Need an excuse to wear it!

09/02/2013 at 20:50

I think I may struggle to do York in a day or Chester for that matter and I dont have  avlid passport

*puts out alert in WAISTer lounge*

Be prepared for rambling posts - Spence is having wine

Nice plan, planman. I'm with Pippi - shocking you had to go faster and could manage it - I couldn't.

Woop, woop to M...eldy, Podds and Noggy making the ballot for whatever cycle race it is - shame Mr P is a reject but it does mean you can cycle with M...eldy and Noggs and not have anyone holding you back

*places HWB under M...eldy's feet*

Life here is ....riveting.  - is it bed time yet???

09/02/2013 at 20:53

Nearly bedtime here Yums, I'm bored of hoovering and cleaning now Changed sheets so hope you're nice and clean before you get in

M...eldy    pirate
09/02/2013 at 21:04

YUms I had to read back and check but I dont think Noggs mentioned being in the ballot ??

Nearly bedtime here as well

09/02/2013 at 22:19

Evening

I have swimbled and then picked up Mr P and we've spent a very pleasant couple of hours at a house warming for some plodpals from plodclub

Now a light supper and then bed before tomorrow's arctic marshalling

09/02/2013 at 23:22
Blimey Meldy well cycled!

Lovely evening dined,wined,chatted

My knee hurts
09/02/2013 at 23:27
Anywhere near an airport is good for us :0) I've told Mr Tubs I'm going to a Waisterfest :0) His mind is boggling :0)

(((( waisters ))))
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
10/02/2013 at 07:32

morning

It's persisting down here , schedule says 18 miles, can't see me doing that! Especially after last weeks 16 mile hard work! I'm off to walk the muppets with my mad friend in a bit, I may do something like 10 miles then, or really wimp out and go to the gym! (but I'm not doing 18 miles on a dreadmill!)

OK, WAISterfest, I don't mind travelling ahd staying overnight somewhere, but I understand that some people can't do the overnight thing (unless the boys were to go fishing for the weekend Yums?). If not, where in the UK could you realistically get to in a day where there is a mainline railway AND  an airport? Brizzle is one option I suppose, and if it were that close I could drive up and pick up anyone from the airport/railway station, although from preference I would prefer a train journey.

I suppose Bristol would be a bit tricky for the Norverners to get to.........

I propose that by the end of this week, we have a date and a venue?, if we keep saying, 'yes, we must do this sometime' it'll never happen! It's been YEARS since we all got together for a gathering

10/02/2013 at 07:33

morning each.

i've not entered any events or ballots yet, so i'm flattered at being included, but sadly it'snot right.

nothing planned here today, the weather's grim so no road ride.

10/02/2013 at 09:23

Morning

Hey Dragon bring us a cuppa before you head out for your 18 miler, there's love!!!  

Is there a race included in this meet ?
If I can be there I will be

Meeting folks at the first Windy was just fab!  Looking out of the hostel window and seeing the back of a woman's head and just knowing it was Pippi seeing a hippy getting out of a red van and just knowing it was Daffs  and then totally not realising it was Noggins sat at the table with XB

Friend has loaned me brad's book, guess what I'll be doing all day  I love Mr Spence working shifts

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.