working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

215,181 to 215,200 of 233,813 messages
10/02/2013 at 09:51

ooer, sorry, Noggs, didn't intend to enter you for a race you hadn't entered - I save that for Spence

Daffy, I made sure I was squeaky clean before I joined you in bed

How about we all descend on Chuggy - after all, lost  of places fly to Amsterdam And we mustn't forget that  for some, travelling any distance may be dificult for health reasons - just food for thought. How is Brum located for all ? Always seems northerly to me and then we could all stay with Spence   Ditching the kids isn't so much of a problem these days, Sue although once ex new baby arrives that may change - its actually Mrs Dawg who is more difficult. Anyway, good idea to set a definite date and venue soonest

I have a dilema. I have received a parcel in the post marked open on 14 Feb. Being a smart cookie, I surmise this might be a little Valentine something from my date last weekend. I don't feel the need to do Valentines Day, especially as I barely know them, so, what shall I do? 

Anyone got snow yet ? House work and fruitbowl today and possibly snow

10/02/2013 at 10:04

Thanks for thinking of me Yums.  Just rain here at the mo, HL and I have had a lazy breakfast now getting wet gear on for a long walk.

i love the idea of dropping in on Chuggs, we could get up to some mischief too.

I'm orf

10/02/2013 at 10:07

oooh Yummity how exciting  and you haven't opened it yet!? Blimey you are good  if you don't feel inclined to send anything then I wouldn't!  But how lovely that she felt she wanted to send something to you!!

Brum would be nice and easy for me

We could all enter Brum Half

and you lot coming would be the only reason I'd enter as it's two weeks after Chester !!

Still in bed  daught brought me up a cuppa

10/02/2013 at 10:28

I'm still waiting for HL to faff her last.

I had a chat with jnr in NZ yesterday.  My eldest grandson there, who is 7,  gets time off lessons at school to take part in a nation wide triathlon competition - all tailored to his age.

He swims, plays rugby, cricket and golf,  He cycles, scooters(?), walks and horse rides.  He's just a normal Kiwi kid,(with good parents) no wonder they produce such good athletes from a tiny population.

I hope that doesn't come across as self indulgent, I just mention it to compare it to UK youngsters and the opportunities and attitudes here.  

That was way too deep for a Sunday.

10/02/2013 at 11:30

That's ace Nogs  

We need a change of mind set here

10/02/2013 at 13:46

Afternoon all 9k forest run done with Roni, she completed that non stop too and although fatigued to hell the last 1k, she is well pleased with herself!Considering it was wet n cold too, she has never run in the wet & cold before so well done her !

I went back to my water/wind proof jacket and a couple layers, was quite nice not having the soaking wet T shirt on, although I wasnt going for anywhere near as long, I stayed warm for most of it. There is NO photographic evidence of anything remotely connected to me and wet T Shirts ....

Lazy afternoon now, got some awkward documents to write up for tommorow.

Nog: great going for grandson, its a real shame that kids over here prefer to play computers and wreck stuff instead. Lets hope he keeps it up and really gets somewhere in whatever part he likes doing most!

Brums about 3 hrs away, My son is stationed not far from there so would make a nice visit few days. Depending when it is, it would make a nice ride out!

Now I just need to get Roni inaugerarated into the WAISTers and get her along too

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 13:48
10/02/2013 at 14:37

Good afternoon all

Well the fridge called for 9 but it got 10 instead! It wasn't pretty, especially the last 4 miles which were all uphill and into the strong wind, with added rain as well. I was out of the door at 6.40 and back in good time. I took my keys today so didn't have the problem of phoning 3 numbers to get back in the house like I did last week.

A meet up sounds like a good idea and Birmingham isn't too difficult to get to, we could even arrange a visit to Cadbury World!

10/02/2013 at 15:18

I am sooooooooooooooo cold

I have been stood on the corner of a country lane in sleety wind for around 3 1/2 hours...... *imagine blue faced shivery smiley*

I had ski socks and fluffy ski boots, XC ski salopettes, short and long sleeved thermal tops, long fluffy sweatshirt, huge thick club fleece, thermal hat, scarf which covers chest and back too and 2 pairs of gloves.................so was hardly underprepared - or so I thought!!!!

I am now getting into the bath and then my PJs and I am not moving out of the house again today

10/02/2013 at 15:22

Very virtuous - went and did my LSR 7.3miles in the cold light rain. actually not too bad most of the time in the middle - had the wind behind me. Last mile or so felt  hard work - legs cold and stiffening up a big.

We've also done Chinese New Year in Liverpool. Not nearly a crowded as last year, but they did all have umbrellas to make up for it!!!! Legs a bit twingy as they started to stiffen standing round in the cold, then we stepped up a few high terraced steps - oo! that hurt a bit. But not so bad now I've moved and warmed up!

Birminghams good for me! Not sure about the half, but it's a possibility!

XB
10/02/2013 at 16:02

Nice running and marshalling. Double points and an extra slice for doing it in this weather.

I done sweet FA.

The house smells of Mrs XB's cooking. Unfortunately she left the heat on full power and has welded the contents to the pan. The stench of cremated veg is all pervading.

Luckily, I shall be in charge of tea.

10/02/2013 at 16:10

Brrr Podds! I feel for you! I'm in the same frame of mind - let's get home and not have to go out again. (not as bad as the forecast, mind you which was an amber warning of snow - not that I took it very seriously ....)

10/02/2013 at 16:11
Five of your Earth miles power walked, one Sunday lunch _ gentlemens portions_ demolished.

Settee waiting.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
10/02/2013 at 16:11

Amsterdam/Birmingham ...hmmmm

10/02/2013 at 17:13

lol Pippi!!

well done team

I've had a grand day sat on the sofa reading and then watched the ruggers don't tell Mr spence he's working!!

I did do a bit of tidying from last evening first! and now left overs for tea hurrah!!

10/02/2013 at 17:35

Fear not. The snow is here. This is the way it looked this morning: 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/165813/gallery/photo_(10).jpg?width=350

And by the time we left for church we had about 3 inches. Very pretty, but very cold with a horrible wind! 

So HUGE respect to Poddles for standing out in the cold all that time!!! And to all those who bravely ran and cycled through it. It's that time of year when the cold is really penetrating, so once you get really chilled it's very hard to get warm again. 

Nogs, how great that the NZ family are getting such a good sporting education. Whenever I get an English paper there always seem to be articles about obesity and things like that, but if the kids don't DO anything, how else are they going to be?

Yummy, I do admire you for just sitting and looking at that parcel! Aren't you tempted to peek and prod just a little bit??

A WAISter gathering sounds like it's deffo in the making!  Would love to think of getting over there, but this year the odds are against it as we are having to go back and forth all over Europe for the next 9 months, for all kinds of various family events. But if I know when it is I can at least partake at a distance!

I've had a fab afternoon. An old friend from the Bar (my pupil master, actually) is here doing a case in the Court of International Arbitration, so we had lunch together and I caught up on lots of gossip about friends in England and also developments in the profession in England. It was brilliant. I'm very happy here, but it's lovely to talk with someone from home, with whom I share memories over a long time. 

M...eldy    pirate
10/02/2013 at 17:45

Evening tribe

Just catching up with Africa from last week and have managed to watch the majority of the Eng v Ire match as well
I also shoehorned in a 2 hour mountain bike ride (should have been 4 but Barlos wimped out) and then I did 45 mins on the crosstrainer and turned it into a brick session
I too have demiloshed a gentlemans portion of chicken and pots and peas with gravy ... I may sleep well tonight

10/02/2013 at 18:26

Amsterdam - Birmingham

One has interesting canals, restaurants, art galleries - and the other's in Holland!

Was the gentleman cross, or wasn't he hungry, Meldy?

10/02/2013 at 18:50

Evening,

Just popping in to say 'hello' in between getting a meal ready (butterbean, chorizo and paprika stew) and tryin to catch up with the rugby. We have had some of the outlaws here for a couple of hoursthis arvo - most unusual as we often only see them at Christmas even though they are local!

Huge respect to those of you who have run, cycled and marshalled this weather. I bet you enjoyed your nice, hot bath/shower afterwards - I remember that as being the joy of this weather .

Well done on not opening your pressie, Yumms - and how lovely that your date thinks enough of you to send it.

Noggy, it sounds as if the family in NZ are having a great time and really making te most of their opportunties.

It is great to see a WAISTerfest being organised, it is wel overdue. I don't know whether I would be able to make it wherever it was held, but I will get there if I am up to it.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

10/02/2013 at 23:13

Nice number sluggy

Been blowing a hoolie and snowing again here   Weather has been so bad we haven't had any tv all evening as the satellite is knocked out - quite a salutory evening actually and has made me realise how much the tv is on usually even if I'm not really watching it....

however on the plus side it's supposed to change to rain later and tomorrow I have an offsite meeting in the morning which is always a nice way to start the week

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
11/02/2013 at 06:48

morning all

No work for me this week , lots to do though.

I guess it looks like Birmingham then - although I wouldn't say no to Amsterdam

The half marathon is on the 20th October, I have Cardiff half 2 weeks befor that, but don't mind doing Birmingham as well I suppose, but then October is such a long way away and not during school hols.

So maybe Birmingham if everyone is up for it, but maybe not October?

Shall we start a list?

Birmingham:

Sue

Spence

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.