working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

215,181 to 215,200 of 237,406 messages
18/02/2013 at 13:01

Acshully - I have been looking at races  - Shrewsbury 1/2 and Chester mara - and may do Guernsey mara (22nd Sept) as a birthday present to myself! going to ask Mr FF if he fancies a little holiday

and I may do Ashby 20 and Stratford mara depending on how training goes in the next few weeks - exciting except I'm skint and my running is the slowest its ever been

18/02/2013 at 13:50
Sunshine Snaily wrote (see)

Sun is shining here too, I can see it through my office window

Depressing isn't it?

I could be mooching along the beach under the sun with the pooches 

Having said that I have had quite a productive morning so all is not lost!

18/02/2013 at 13:51

Why always so long Jenni?

If you are skint and time pressured why not race shorter? Cheaper and shorter training sessions!

18/02/2013 at 14:25

And we have bloody tourists enjoying the sunshine  grrrrrrrrr   Though if I was at home I'd be painting anyway!

I drove 13miles yesterday and OMFG its a long way    

18/02/2013 at 14:36

It is when you look at it that way snaily, do you run on roads or trails? Personally I love trail running, there is so much to look at and enjoy, even at night, I find that makes the distance seem a lot shorter and the the time does drift by. When I saw the deer laughing at me Friday, that occupied my mind for ages after. I never got that feeling on roads.

Have you any trails near you that would be worth a try out?

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 14:38
18/02/2013 at 14:43

It's a lot shorter when you run it, Snaily!

18/02/2013 at 14:49

*awaits with interest Pippi's explanation of the above and to see whether Snaily will believe her...................*

18/02/2013 at 14:53

Hang on, I'm working on that ...

18/02/2013 at 14:54

"Trust me, I'm a teacher!"

[will that do it?]

18/02/2013 at 16:00

that doesnt cut it Pippi

No idea if we have any trails, but I'm sure I will find out when I start running further than 5k!   Havent lived long in the area so there is a lot to explore.  We have some great cycle routes which I need to go and look at, there must be loads of routes and trials off road.  At the moment I run on the sea front, we have a good route from Goodrington (home) to torquay, but it'll quickly get boring if I stick to that.

I was having a productive day......until I pee'd off my "job share" person.  Shes made a decision I dont agree with, we're at loggerheads.  I've backed down because we're not officially job sharing, (she makes the decisions when shes in, when she's not I step in), but in this case she is wrong*.

*IMO obviously

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 16:19
18/02/2013 at 17:20

Afternoon,

I has been another nice day here too just the kind that used to tempt me to put my running shoes on and go onto the heath. Cheesy, I agree 100% that running off road is more fun . However, I was kanackered after just 1 session of aquagym so I havent actually done anything else

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

18/02/2013 at 17:30

It aint so far with WAISTer mates

ahh Far Far, well jell about Guernsey mara, haven't been back since I left

and I can't believe Mr Far Far isn't allowed to Stratty and what about Gordie!?

Mind you last time they supported I ran a PW so perhaps best leave them at home !!

J will be thrilled if you join us at Shrewsbury

Tubbs has left and forgotten to pack me

Lovely afternoon catching up with a couple of mates lots of chat and cups of tea

M...eldy    pirate
18/02/2013 at 18:21

Evening all   

I see DL is in the sidings again

Blimey this is going to be a good ole WAISTer fest is it not !  Hopefully the races wont fill up too soon as I do not intend on parting with any money until Lanza is done and dusted

Today I went out on my boy, we havent been out for ages due to frost and ice and snow so we went somewhere a little different and he was a bit bouncy 

I had a very good swim and did a mile in 29 mins with some spot on 400 splits so I was pleased with that
Then I ran 10k for the first time probably since last August and I concentrated on knee lift which made it harder work than it should have been, R4/W1 and still managed a 1.03 so that was good too ... fingers crossed for the recovery !

Tomorrows bike ride had better be a goodun !

M...eldy    pirate
18/02/2013 at 18:22

Hang on a mo .... if Mr FarFar and Gordie are not allowed to Stratty does that mean no WAISTer van AND no dawgies???

18/02/2013 at 18:26
I know Meldy, I'm trying not to think about not having the WAISTer van !!

When is Lanza?
M...eldy    pirate
18/02/2013 at 18:30

17 May or something like that .... I think I am in denial 

18/02/2013 at 18:37
Cripes!!!!!!

Plenty of time to get mended ready for the WAISTer races!!
M...eldy    pirate
18/02/2013 at 19:10

Well if this last year is anything to go by I wouldn'y be so sure!!

18/02/2013 at 20:34

Well, I decided to do an experimenty thing tonight... I had been reading over the weekend about some top Ultra runners who work on a 5:1 run:walk for the whole race (between 50k and 100+ miles) and who swear by this method, as it helps keep them fresh for a massive amount of time compared to just running and rest when knackered style. Anyhow, it was an interesting enough read for me to want to try it over my distances, and as tonight was going to be an easy 11k run day, what better time to try!

I set my ismoothrun program to yell at me run: 5mins then walk: 1 min continuously, and set off at a comfortable but quicker pace (well, for me anyway) which went between 5.0m/k and 5.20m/k (its still a very hilly route hence the variation).

Everytime it yelled walk, I stopped and walked, wether on a uphill, flat or downhill, took a small drink or ate a couple of dates. Every walk dropped my HR back into zone 2, and it became very obvious after 4 or 5 k that this was really working in a way that made my running far easier. Perhaps there was something to it after all!

Each 5 mins almost seemed a doddle despite my 'quick' pace, and after each 1 min walk, I set off feeling, well, fresher and more eager than I remember doing before.

5k came and went, followed by 5 miles, then 10k, then, well I reached the end of my run. For once, I thought 'I could keep going for quite a bit further, despite the speed' it made a really nice change.

Once I got home, I checked runkeeper to confirm the times I thought I had heard, and all I can say, is RESULT!!

5km -    28.04 - slower than my PB which is 27.04 (but done only as a 5k, not part of a longer run)
5 ml -    46.10 - beat my old PB of 47.02 ish (again, done as a 5 mile)
10k -    57.45 - beat my old PB of 58.44 ish

All my splits except the last were similar, without the second half slowdown that I usually find. My average pace was 5:49 and av speed was 10.33 kph over the whole 11.18k, and I had slowed the last 1/2k as a cooldown!

After this little experiment, I will now be doing this for all my 10k+ runs, cos from my own results, and knowing how good I felt at the end which is a big point for me, it simply works! and im quicker through not slowing pace when fatigued. I would normally be a lot more achy by now too, but feel ok. Simples. Cant wait to try it on my next LSR which will be another 14miler. I predict an improvement on time, but wont be trying for a PB as I like to keep LSR pace actually slow... (its in the name)

I would definately reccomend anyone to try this 5:1 thingy. Morale: If its good enough for top Ultra runners, its good enough for me

WAIST well and prosper

M...eldy    pirate
18/02/2013 at 20:39

I think that 25/5 is a good one for Ultra runners too, most of us here are already converted to Mr Galloways thinkings Cheesy but in short, yes it does work!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.