working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

215,621 to 215,640 of 233,064 messages
21/02/2013 at 17:35

Snaily: Nice going little n often will get you where you wanna bee

Spence: If I remember right, it was around the devonport area, its actually my step dad, so early years are sketchy for me. We spent almost every year in cornwall, mainly based around Polzeath, then later Newton Ferras, then travelling around, visiting places and relatives. This all started over 40 years ago, so its changed alot since then. I have been back on my bike a few times, with a mixture of dissapointment on how much its changed since my childhood, and happiness at being back in that general area. Dads brother was still in devonport until 8 ish years ago.

Still not in a position to think more about November, still love the idea, but cant commit for reasons. Would do the half tho, and from the looks, they wont run out of places for some time. Would also do the evening social

Dawneeeeieee: Agree with Dragon about stretching, just make sure you only stretch on warm muscles, not from cold, so stretch after the run would be better, stretching cold can do more damage! also, go easy, very light stretching helps, trying to wrench another foot out of each muscle doesnt help and will hurt

A nice foam roller helps elongate your muscle, think of rolling pastry, bit like a self massage.

have a look at http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/staying-healthy/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching/484.html , I now only really do 1, 4,5,7 & 8 after my runs, and an active warmup before them.

OMG I am waffling again! I need to stop hitting keys and making loads of words come out, might be more readable that way

21/02/2013 at 18:05
Meldy - if I could be curled up in pjs I would - enjoy!!!

I can't believe what I did this morning - first run after the Sunday half, legs all ok, foot no longer hurting (and found an ankle support to wear for the run)....left the house, clicked the watch, started running and realised I was completely inadequately kitted out for the freezing weather...ran a very small 5 minute loop back home and felt very silly! I think with all the sunshine this week I was lured into thinking spring had sprung Didn't have time to warm up, wrap up and try again as I had a meeting. It's not like I've never run in the cold...duhhhhhh :/

So tomorrow is wrap up well and go for a few miles...and afterwards I will stretch!!

Cheesy - love the foam roller/pastry roller analogy, works for me!! Will put it on birthday list!
21/02/2013 at 18:05
21/02/2013 at 19:44

Im a bit late but tonight we're having pancakes!!!

21/02/2013 at 20:04

Jelous

M...eldy    pirate
21/02/2013 at 20:07

I'm going to bed in a mo - its effing cold here !!!

21/02/2013 at 20:27

same here! all the cats are in, and we're wraped up! just had a real thich chocolate drink to keep warm

The forcast for tommorow here is -1 with wind chill -8 think I may need to wrap up a bit ....

21/02/2013 at 20:38

We've spent the day in sunny North Wales at Bodnant Gardens. It is 10 years or so since we last went and I'm really glad we went again. Not only was it sunny and reasonably not-cold ... they have recently opened a winter garden, so it was good to see the winter colour and interest (bark, leaves etc). I'd forgotten what a nice place it is - you see pictures of the formal garden but there are woodland walks down to a stream.

I had a run when I got home - bitter in the wind ... !

21/02/2013 at 21:29

walked to the shop, its bliddy freezing, my ears are in pain from the cold wind.  brrrrr

21/02/2013 at 21:50
Where's Yums and Chuggs!!?
21/02/2013 at 22:02

Yums could have something to do with half term - stressed out mum!!

Chuggy is probably travelling between 2 countries again!

Very unlike them though

Think its time for bed.

21/02/2013 at 22:06
Zebedee!
21/02/2013 at 23:38
Thanks Cheesy for the links - can see it would help hubby too, and no doubt daughters would muscle in - forgive the pun
22/02/2013 at 01:19
Oh dear. I have succumbed to Key Lime Pie. I blame Snaily for having pancakes and weakening my resolve!

Our other credit card has been blocked so will book waterways when we've rung the UK tomorrow. We'll be having breakfast Sluggie :0) If we bring the Landy we can fit 5 in to go to the races :0) Having lived on the IoM for 27 years we no longer have any sense of direction and get very tired if driving more than 20 miles!! Thanks for the dates Westie, I've got a head like a sieve.

Still trying to eat healthily, apart from the sinful pie, my one lapse in 8 weeks. Steamed catfish however doesn't taste very nice so I've got some swordfish to try tomorrow. And butter beer is disgusting!

(((( waisters ))))
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 07:14

Good moaning all  

I had a very early night last night but didnt have the best of sleeps, nothing that a few coffees wont put right
A few hours at the crime face and then a spell in the gym on the way I home I think

22/02/2013 at 07:29
Morning

Can I just point out that this WAISTerfest thing is 9 months away. 9 whole months and I think I've already got morning sickness from it.

I have survived another Ofsted, and this one was at least a bit jollier and more positive. I may still have a job.

Think my mojo may have been lost in the post. It certainly isn't here.

Happy Friday one and all
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 07:54

You love it  

9 months of Spence nagging you !!!!

22/02/2013 at 08:35

ONLY 9 MONTHS OMG I WILL NEVER BE READY IN TIME!!! 

Lime pie, steamed catfish, butter beer what bloody country are you in Tubs

Hurray for a good Ofsted   

I learnt a valuable lesson yesterday, eating loads of foods makes you sleep really bad   It was a treat for me, but I'm still suffering this morning.  Sorry for the gurgling noises.

Friday, not much to do (well actually loads but nothing interesting) so going to try and plough through it and skive off early

22/02/2013 at 09:26

Morning

Key Lime Pie.....mmmmmm any left!?
Not suprised you feel a bit  that was a huuuuuge portion of pancakes Snaily!!

M...eldy wrote (see)

You love it  

9 months of Spence nagging you !!!!

The thought brings joy to my heart !! 

Plenty of time to train DL
I can send you a lovely training plan if you wish

I'm feeling a little  think it was the effort yesterday!!

22/02/2013 at 09:32
Morning. 5 miles last night. Achilles niggled but ok. Orthodentist with youngest today, it's been nothing but check ups all week.
May park run tomorrow but am doing night shift so will see.
I really need new shoes so may try and get to the shop today.

Still in bed as hol day! Have been up for tea and crumpets already though, and second wash is on so not a total slob!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.