working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

216,041 to 216,060 of 237,112 messages
16/03/2013 at 20:54

I'm afraid I upset a man in the pub after swimbling today when I saw the score with 5 mins to play and was happy

He spent the next 10 mins until his table was called giving me the evil eye!

Well cycled Melds - above and beyond the call of duty but it sounds as if it wasn't quite so dangerous (if equally unpleasant) your way......certainly we have no sign of crocusses, lambs or anything springlike despite being so far south

17/03/2013 at 06:37
Good luck racers!!!

I am off for a last minute shift on ward but only til lunchtime as going to theatre this eve with mum. Going to see Hormonal housewives- quite apt for me this week!!
17/03/2013 at 07:18
Go Go Pippi!!

See you later!!
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
17/03/2013 at 07:18

morning

Go well racers! 

17/03/2013 at 07:40

Go Spence yourself!

(that sounds a bit odd but you know what I mean)

Im hanging round for 10 mins until I have to get the train. and waiting for the garmin to charge which I stupidly put back on the cradle switched on ... doh!

It's a lovely bright cold day here. Perfect!

17/03/2013 at 07:52

Morning each,

Go racers.

An easy way to annoy the Welsh - lesson one.  When the Romans and,to some extent later, my lot, the Vikings invaded, the English retreated to Wales and took it over, causing the indigineous Welsh to seek sanctuary with their fellow Celts in Brittany so anyone now claiming to be Welsh is actually English. That one really cuts them.

No sign of spring here either Podds although the Heathers on a large rockery I look after have enjoyed a hard winter, they're starting to look very colourful

17/03/2013 at 08:31

Oh dear, to add insult, the rain here has turned to heavy snow.

Hope it's better for the racers

17/03/2013 at 09:25

Heavy snow?! That had best stay put where you are Noggs - we're driving to Bristol tonight and I'd rather not see ANY snow!

Good luck Racers!!

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
17/03/2013 at 09:42
Nog = N + 1 wrote (see)

An easy way to annoy the Welsh - lesson one.  When the Romans and,to some extent later, my lot, the Vikings invaded, the English retreated to Wales and took it over, causing the indigineous Welsh to seek sanctuary with their fellow Celts in Brittany so anyone now claiming to be Welsh is actually English. That one really cuts them.

and of course, the Irish are only Welshmen who could swim 

Edited: 17/03/2013 at 09:43
17/03/2013 at 11:05

Oh dear - see what the rugger has started now?

Snow Noggs?  Dry here and the occasional odd sighting of a round yellow thing in the sky for a moment or two before the clouds come in again.....but at least we're dry currently

My garden is in a terrible state as I just haven't got out into it due to the weather.  Also the cane which covers the back fence has been half brought down by the wind so that needs sorting, have only even half emptied last year's pots......and my lovely tall grass thing which was so well last summer is limp, bedraggled and hanging out of it's pot......where the dogs now also widdle up it

M...eldy    pirate
17/03/2013 at 11:21
Murph has had a wash & brush up and has gone out to roll in the mud

I'm heading to St Albans to see Holly and pick up my road bike that's been on a sabbatical and if I can arsed I may run before work tonight!
17/03/2013 at 12:18

The snow has just about done here, it's of the wet, slushy variety but there is a lot of it.

I've just turboed and set HL up for her first ever turbo session.

I managed zone 2 without hacking, I've set her on recovery to see how she goes.

17/03/2013 at 13:03
Hello my lovelies

I love running me

So, the plan was to do a steady 10:50 that would give J a Colchester Half PB !
I knew it would be a big ask as neither of us have had good races of late.

We set out watches at 4/30 aiming to walk when needed...

Off we went... First few miles around the 10mm... No walk breaks, up the feck off hill...got us to slow a little...
We saw J's sister, nephew and in laws which was fab!
We kept a steady 10:24 for quite a while. I was feeling great, couldn't belive it , didn't need/want a walk...

My watch was only telling me av pace, everything was good. Around 7 miles my knee started to hurt, no bloody way it was all going too well so I ignored it. At 9 miles it kept giving way. I ignore it.

At 10 miles j was struggling
, no feckin' way mate we're on this COME ON!!!

Pace steady 10:25 nearly there!
Into the home straight j struggling and tling me to go on, no way we were going over the line together!!!

Which we did holding hands, with a smile in 2:16
A Colchester PB by 4 minutes, outside our half PB by the same punt but we didn't care!!!!

A steady pace all the way, no walking, bloody thrilled

My second best time and after the last few races of misery the smile is back!!
Losing the weight has helped!!

There's a Speckled Hen with my name on it!!!

17/03/2013 at 13:40

Well done both of you!

17/03/2013 at 13:42

Roni and I have just done our sunday forest run, got her to increase to 8 miles this week struggled, but she did it!

No snow here yet but it did start to get very cold the last half hour, with cold rain too .

XB
17/03/2013 at 13:55

Excellent stuff. Running is great.

Just need the Pipmeister to get back and tell s her story.

There's a mahoosive Irish Stew in the oven. Bring a Guinness.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
17/03/2013 at 14:06

well done Spence - very well done 

and good for Roni as well.

My running went right off the boil last week. I dumped the scheduled 20 miler last Sunday and did just a couple of miles on the dreadmill (more as a warm up than anything) and 3 paltry miles in the week. It  just had no hwyl (that's Welsh for hwyl, there's not really a direct English translation for that word) Today, I bit the bullet and did 16 miles 5:1. So the marathon is back on and the hwyl is back. Sometimes the best training you can do is none at all 

XB
17/03/2013 at 14:15

I'm going to have a whip round and send some vowels to Wales.

17/03/2013 at 14:38

here's a few for you XB

ooooooooeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiii etc

Excelletn running there Spence, well done you!

Today I am mostly trying not to be annoyed that

(1) my week long holiday (for which I have taken an entire week of annual leave) has turned into 2 days at a friend's house because of (a) stupid people wanting stupid naff Irish songs sung at their stupid event all the way in stupid Leeds and (b) stupid other people wanting to sound check about 4 days before a gig starts.

(2) blah washing machine blah (can't even be arsed writing that one - ongoing 10-month washing machine saga which I won't bore you with)

However, I am quite enjoying my new saxophone

17/03/2013 at 15:01

I'm back.

2h 27 37 on the chip time (I had a text to  tell me - isn't technology fantastic!) My slowest, as expected, but I'm happy to have got to the start line at last, and even happier to have got to the finish! (Mind you, I'd have been a bit disappointed to have gone over the 2 1/2 hr mark ...)

It was great day. I drove to the local station park & ride and there were streams of runners getting there. the lady selling tickets asked what was going on as they weren't used to queues before the first train!

It was bitterly cold at the start, by the pier head and the Liver buildings and I was sort of wishing I'd gone for the long tights rather than 3/4, but warmed up once we started. It all started a bit fast (they always do, don't they?). Took the opportunity of walking up Upper Parliament Street (the clues in the name - it goes UP), but I'd set the Garmin to 6/1 (pretty much by accident, just jabbed at a workout -meant to do 5/1 but hey, what's a minute?)

We then went round Princes Park and through and round in a sort of squashed S shape round Sefton Park - two large landscaped town parks, surrounded by Georgian/Victorian villas, which 20 years ago were run down and dilapidated, but are now being renovated as they deserve. We had a half way chip timer there as well!

Down through another park to Otterspool Promenade with views back home! The sun came out and I was glad I only had on 3/4 tights and was almost regretting the long sleeves. Then a straight (ish run) along the front, through some light industrial units (good wide quiet road), and along the front again, past the Arena, Albert Dock - oh, look there's Pippette on a wall!!! yay a supporter! - past the new museum and back to the Pier Head.

Pippette took me for coffee and cake (I really wanted a flapjack but they didn't do them!) then we had tapas for lunch. Liverpool is full of people wearing leprechaun hats. There was someone wearing one of those clingy all-in-one suits that I can't think what they're called - in Irish flag colours ... not a good look from behind ...

Hot shower. Hot coffee. Warm fleece. It's raining now ...

Well done Spence and J! Speedy and no walks?!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.