working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

216,981 to 217,000 of 238,730 messages
18/04/2013 at 09:13

Morning All

((((Snaily, Snaunty and family))))

Hope you have as good a day as possible today Snaily and that Mr S spoils you rotten - twice over in fact

I'm afraid I'm another not converted to all these i-gadgets!!  It's very trendy to be into Apple and hate Microsoft and I don't know enough to say which is better (although most IT bods seem to prefer Apple) but I do know that when we have IT problems in school it's more often than not the Apple Macs.................

Sadly I may have to completely compromise my priniciples soon and actually go into a mobile phone shop - I've never been in one in my life  but my ancient old thing is beginning to give up the ghost and as swearing at it isn't making any difference I may need to be brave and buy a new one.......... 

18/04/2013 at 11:15
Reading, Skelmersdale, Norwich?

I've only read of these places in the holiday brochures.

A bit overcast here at the mo, but good progress at work. Some faffing and one more lawn and I should be done.

Should be time for a decent ride this afternoon.
18/04/2013 at 11:15
Yums, normally I'd agree about the man/3/4 length shorts, but these are the cycling sort and are a useful addition to the kit bag for days such
as today.

The looser fitting ones a still considered high fashion in Newcastle.

There were only 18 riders in the TT, it was blowing a hooly a across the airfield which explains all.
18/04/2013 at 11:37

2 burps Noggy?  That's just plain greedy!!

18/04/2013 at 13:07

Podds, I've never used an apple Mac but have heard they are a nightmare, Microsoft is heads above anyone else in the processing world.  However in the phone world Apple rule!  Why dont you take a BIG leap and just go for the iphone?????

Boss told of the situation, and I've told my team, mainly to stop the rumour mill when I'm travelling back to stoke on a regular basis they dont think I'm leaving!  Only just got some stability in the team!  So can now get back to work.

Cant remember if I said earlier, Snaunty is going to marry her long term partner, so there is a wedding to plan.  Which is always a positive because I'll get a new frock!

18/04/2013 at 13:18

ahhh Snaily!

18/04/2013 at 13:56

Oh Snaily, good for Snaunty. Having something positive to look forward to and plan for is good for everyone, even if the longer term is unclear. And good that you've cleared the decks at work. Who knows, this might even make people cooperate a bit more in order to keep silly things off your back. 

Podds, I used to be like you but I've changed my mind. After 20 years of Microsoft but  I've been converted to Apple by C3. He thought hard, then got an Apple when he went to uni, and has been really happy with it. He steered me to an iPhone, then last year an iPad, and I use both heavily and with no problems. My laptop is on its last legs now so I'm hoping to get an Apple laptop this summer and will know more after that. One big benefit: if anything is wrong, Apple will fix it. One stop shop. We got well fed up with the runaround when Mr C's HP broke down, which it often did (hardware man: it must be the software; software man: it must be the hardware). He got an Apple laptop last summer has had no trouble at all. So I'm hopeful. 

Anyway, Podds, whatever you get, a good mobile phone is a very useful item! You might just like it 

'Only' 19 C today, but such a nice temperature! What shall I do? Hmmm, maybe it would be nice to pull some weeds....?? 

18/04/2013 at 14:54

And C2 just sent me this. It was posted by an American comedian called Patton Oswalt after the Boston marathon bombing. 

“I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, “Well, I’ve had it with humanity.”

But I was wrong. I don’t know what’s going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, “The good outnumber you, and we always will.”

18/04/2013 at 16:13

Afternoon,

Wow, Chuggy, that is powerful!

(((Snaily and family))) I am so sorry to hear Snaunty's prognosis, it makes it even worse when you believe that things could have been otherwise if they had been managed better. How lovely that she has the wedding to occupy her thoughts.

Podds, I am one of the few people in the world who still has a basic mobile phone. I don't want a phone that is smarter than me .

Nice afternoon here, TM and I have just been out for our usual drink and chat. Eaters' club this evening, I really need it having missed last week and being away for the weekend!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

18/04/2013 at 17:00
(((( Snaily )))) (((( Snaunty )))))

Happy Birthday Snaily xxxxx
18/04/2013 at 17:11

Off home, its been a strange day with not much done.  But I have eaten 2 pieces of cake   Maybe I should be going the eaters club with sluggy!

Chuggy that is quite a statement, and makes us realise that the majority of us are decent people.

Oh it would make me smile if Podds got an iphone!  We could facetime podds 

ASDA then home, thinking its a pizza and wine type of night.

18/04/2013 at 17:17

Happy Birthday Snails - well, do your best.

The regurge earlier must have been me trying to wake up RW Towers.  I couldn't log in from my 'phone for some reason.

Chuggs, those are fine words but to counter all the evil idiots in the world we still need people who are prepared to get their hands dirty.

18/04/2013 at 19:07
Oh Snaily, what terrible news. And after all she (and you) have been through.

((((((((((((((((Snaily and Snaunty))))))))))))))
M...eldy    pirate
18/04/2013 at 19:57

It would appear I read several times today and posted nothing ... I must have dreamt it!!

Awake earlyish so had a wander round the market, fresh veg, fresh eggs, fresh cat biscuits and fresh fat balls 

I am not sure that pikey one needs feeding tho as there was a whole procession of dead mice up the stairs this morning which led me to the dilemma ... food waste, recycling or household?

My feet have been unearthed from a season of socks and slippers and appear to be fair game as well!

18/04/2013 at 20:05
I'm frozen ! watching the telly under 2 blankets!
M...eldy    pirate
18/04/2013 at 20:07

Weirdo  

18/04/2013 at 20:12

You know that run I promised myself today .... that was before I remembered the Infants' Disco ... now I can hardly keep my eyes open! I've had a 2 course dinner - chips at school and chicken that Mr P had left in the oven for me when he went on nights!

I've got some silly stuff I need to do though as I'm concerting tomorrow and Saturday - I need to print myself a passport photo for a library card, and sort out videos I've shared with our partner school in Italy, but now can't open on the antiquated system in school (groan!)

18/04/2013 at 20:30

I'm watching the animal awards, think there might be some tears!  I love pudsey.

We are so lucky HC isnt a hunter, not that he doesnt try, he's just not very good. 

Not sure I will make 9pm, but I'm hoping for a run tomorrow morning. 

18/04/2013 at 21:31

And C2 just sent me this. It was posted by an American comedian called Patton Oswalt after the Boston marathon bombing. 

“I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, “Well, I’ve had it with humanity.”

But I was wrong. I don’t know what’s going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, “The good outnumber you, and we always will.”

18/04/2013 at 21:45

Sorry about all the burping... 

Snaily, at this point if cake helps, eat cake!  And hopefully you'll be able to sleep tonight, and have a restorative chug in the morning. xxx

Sluggie, sounds like a nice day  And I admire your attitude toward phones, but if I used only machines that were dumber than me I'd prolly be limited to things chipped out of flint. Even my hoover has more options than I can fully understand! 

Nogs, totally agree that we need more than just words to counter the 'evil idiots', and I for one am deeply grateful for the people (like the police) who are willing to get their hands dirty. But surely one of the ways we can support those people is to believe in what they're doing and make it clear that they are acting on behalf of us all, isn't it? I thought that was kind of what that quote was saying. 

Melds, LOL at your socially conscientious response to the problem of mouse disposal!! Raises some important philosophical questions, like whose point of view counts. What to you is only 'household rubbish' is clearly 'food waste' to the GPO (or possibly just 'foodl!) 

Gosh, Pippi, you sound bizzy bizzy bizzy at the moment! Wotcher doing with those concerts? Playing? Singing? Attending? 

Everyone in the house is whacked tonight, for some reason. Mr C is asleep, Rossie is snoozing beside me, and I'm off to bed before I fall asleep where I sit! Nighty night all. xxxx

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.