working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

217,001 to 217,020 of 237,525 messages
18/04/2013 at 22:01

Attending concerts - 2 of my favourite folky acts happen to be playing locally on consecutive nights!

I've had a message from my Italian partner teacher to say they liked our videos, so she can obviously see them!

Had a long phone chat with my sister - not spoken to her for months (apathy rather than falling out or anything!). Her son who had the nasty bike accident while Ironman training has found that the neural pathways are damaged and that is why he gets so tired and can do so little. Been told he needs to work for only short hours each day. So far his school have been quite accommodating I believe, but I think this might all need to be reconsidered. Apparently if this had been found earlier, he could have been treated more effectively, but there should be some repair going on (maybe if he rests more). I suppose it's good to know the reason he feels so bad still, even if it's not what he wanted to hear! Other son is getting married at some point when they get organised, to his partner of 10 years. They got engaged for their anniversary. She's Spanish, they live there and have a daughter and a business.

18/04/2013 at 23:31
Sunshine Snaily wrote (see)

Oh it would make me smile if Podds got an iphone!  We could facetime podds 

You can WHAT me !???    Is that even legal ?????

I have no intention of being one of these people who spend their whole lives doing that silly thing to move things across screens or make things bigger etc

And ipads just make me laugh as everyone spent years getting their mobiles smaller so they could be slipped into pockets and now wander round with ipads that they haven't got anywhere to put as they're too big for pockets and many small bags.........

I'm far from sure I'm at ease with this 24/7 contact with humanity and the rest of the world

Melds - I love Chuggy's viewpoint of the moral dilemna you found yourself in Never looked at a dead mouse from such a philosophical perspective before

((Pippi nephew)) - nerves take months if not years to regenerate (if they are going to) so he may still have room for improvement on that front

Right - off to bed now - another attempt at an early night fails miserably!!

Sweet dreams all and I'll see you in the morning

19/04/2013 at 06:35
Morning. I also couldn't get in on phone yesterday. Quickly read back. ((Snaily))

Quick question - going to London on Sunday . Which are best spectator points? Travelling by tube .
19/04/2013 at 07:18

Morning

I'm also having trouble on the ipod

((((((Pippi's nephew)))))

I am reading stuff but still feeling  so just trying to keep my gob shut; at home and at school so I don't upset anyone!! I'm feeling more  than  today so that could be interesting!

off to have an evening with David Walsh this eve  hope the tickets arrive today

19/04/2013 at 08:06

Morning each,

Podds, I couldn't agree more about the phone/IPad thing.

The youngsters these days will all end up like Quasimodo, you only ever see them walking down the street hunched over a phone.

No one ever sees anything worthwhile these days, they're all too busy trying to film events on their phones/IPads.

I was watching some clips of the Thatcher funeral on Wednesday and there were people in the church texting and staring at their phones.

They have become an electronic security blanket for many.

I commend this statement to The House

A day off here.  I'm off out leafleting and canvassing for the County Council Elections -Chuggs, that's one of my ways of moving from sitting on the sidelines spouting about perceived problems, to direct action.

Then it'll be a bike ride, I'll try some speed work.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
19/04/2013 at 08:12

Morning

thanks for all the messages on FB - I'm fine about the decision. This mornings run was the final deciding factor. (for those not on facebook - I've decided to withdraw from the Great Welsh Marathon on Sunday).

My running has been suffering for sometime now and, although it is certainly a stress buster, some stresses can't be busted. I have a tricky situation to face on Monday, it's been dominating my thoughts for several weeks now and I need a very clear head to face it. This clear head would not be in evidence if I attempted this run in my state of (non)fitness. 

It'll be interesting to see once this situation is sorted if all my issues settle down. Sorry to sound mysterious,, but it's a work related thing that I can't talk about on here.

There are lots of WAISTers needed support right now, however, I would be so grateful for some positive thoughts and wishes for Monday. After it's all over I may well be able to explain, but suffice to say that my 43 year career in nursing may well be ending on a very sour note. On the other hand it may all be ok in the end.

19/04/2013 at 08:25
((((((Dragon)))))) you are always such a stalwart supporter of us all over the years. There will always be enough positive thoughts vibes and love for you from us lot in here. Running is about the enjoyment so if you wouldn't feel a sense achievement and would struggle, withdrawal is absolutely the right thing.

~~~~~~~~sue~~~~~~~
XB
19/04/2013 at 08:29

Crikey. That does sound like a very heavy burden; too big to carry for 26.2 miles. Fingers crossed that it gets sorted in your favour.

Spence, stop reading stuff. Or read different stuff.

God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I was observing 2 students on the train yesterday. They were conversing but one of them didn't take her eyes off her phone. The other one, looking for eye contact, was looking at the side of her head. Ignorant behaviour but not unusual.

19/04/2013 at 08:33

~~~~~~~~~~~~Sue~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those are wise words XB

19/04/2013 at 08:34
(((((((((dragon))))))))) sounds like the right decision, and many good vibes for monday, i do hope it goes well for you xxx
19/04/2013 at 09:10
((((((Dragon)))))) it seems many wiser words than mine have already been offered, so I will give what I can - some very viby vibes

(((((Snaunty, Snaily and family))))) same for you and yours

Difficult times for many - so ((((((()))))) and I'll leave some spares in the corner for the weekend

It might not surprise you to know that I am on a train. Soon won't be though.

Positive Fridays everyone - I'm thinking happy might just be pushing it today
19/04/2013 at 09:43
((((((Snailies))))) snaunty health news is a bitter blow and terribly sad. Take good care of yourself
19/04/2013 at 09:46

All is right with the world DL is on a train!!!

Jeez Dragon I really hope things work out on Monday, I can only imagine what a stressful situation it would be to end a long established career on a sour note.  Lets hope it doesnt come to that.

Had some upsetting words with MrSnaunty (not really surprising), but XB's quote is the rule to my life, and this is a situation I can not change so there is no point worrying about it.  Feeling more accepting of Snaunty situation because again its something I can not change so the plan is to sort out all the necessary stuff and get on to enjoy the remaining time we have with her.

I also ran this morning 3.5miles in 36mins and thats 3 mins off my quickest time.  It was one of those "feel good" runs, I bloody loved it.  There is a very calming pic on FB of my run, made me stop and think about being grateful for what we have, dont pine for what we cant have, and always take positive steps in your life.

OMG better shut up and do some work.

19/04/2013 at 09:58

Morning All

((((((((Dragon))))))))))) couldn't put it any better than all the others have said - and there will always be another marathon as and when and if you feel you want to do one

XB - my Nan had that quote on a little placard in her house and I grew up with it as a bit of a mantra

...........most of my stress comes from the fact that I struggle to find serenity when I can't change things I perceive as needing to be changed whether personal, professional or world issues.....

I shall be brave and step into DL's shoes and wish you "happy nearly weekend"

19/04/2013 at 10:31

What a decent crew Waisters are, very supportive and wise beyond our years.

We probably epitomise the sentiments expressed in Chuggs post of yesterday.

19/04/2013 at 12:42

Well said Noggs

and now...........in an attempt to lighten? lower?  the tone and because I fear Westie has mistakenly packed away his joke book............

As you all know, Saint Patrick walked barefoot as an act of contrition, this made his feet rugged and blistered.  

He ate an ascetic's diet which made him weak and gave him bad breath.   All of this made him a ................................                                          

super-calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis!

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 12:43
XB
19/04/2013 at 13:25

Good lord. Come back Westie.

In the meantime

I got invited to a party and was told to dress to kill. Apparently a turban, beard and a backpack wasn't what they had in mind.

After a night of drink, drugs and wild sex, Jim woke up to find himself next to a really ugly woman. That's when he realised he had made it home safely.

Wife gets naked and asks hubby, 'What turns you on more, my pretty face or my sexy body?'
Hubby looks her up and down and replies, 'Your sense of humour!

19/04/2013 at 13:35

tsk tsk, come back Westie

Its blooming gawjus outside, I'm whizzing through my work and am planning on using my stressful situation to bunk off early..........always a rainbow

19/04/2013 at 13:50

Groan XB 

Snaily - it is official - you are the new Daffy in terms of cheerfulness  Dr Daffs has competition

19/04/2013 at 14:00

HL surprised me the other day.  She said she wanted to try something different in the bedrrom.

She'd bought a new duvet cover

One hours worth of intervals done.  I was surprised how hard I was able to go.  It certainly opens the lungs up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.