working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

217,361 to 217,380 of 239,071 messages
28/04/2013 at 20:29

I had a good run this morning. Uploaded it to Fetch and noticed that the 5k and 10k predictions are exactly the same as last week's shorter run! Have I hit my optimum pace (I hope not as I want to do a faster 10k than that - and a faster one than Pippette!)

Succesful day at the library - they had my ticket and I fathomed out the self-service scanner to take books out - it's a lot easier than the ones in Tesco - no unexpected items in the bagging area ...

Then it drizzled a bit - the station said there was a fault on the line so I had to walk across town to another station in which time it rained properly. We all got on one train to get across to Birkenhead then change. Hung round for ages as the whole of my lines electric track was off so they could get to the tunnel in Liverpool to sort out the fault. Gave up after about 40 minutes so got a refund on my ticket and went to the bus stop - which bus will take me to the park and ride where I left the car? - no Sunday service - except one. I was just about to give up on that ever coming and phone Mr P (who should have been up by then) when it turned up ...grrrr Still I've got 2 books on Victorian crime and the press to read - both with melodramatic illustrations on the covers!

The outdoor instructor last week said in conversation early on 'Ive started a history degree with the OU' ... so we had lots to talk about!!!!

28/04/2013 at 21:38

XB, sounds like not only was your training top-notch, but you are so well-attuned to your body that you realised you could really go for it today. Really magnificent. No wonder you had a little blub---quite a few of us felt like that, and we weren't even there! 

Dawg, Pippi, that sounds more like a DL-type day! Hope the books turn out to be really good, after all that!

It will take a long time before the visceral reaction to the Boston Marathon disappears, but I've just come across this, which I think is truly heart-warming. It's from a website opened by the Boston Globe just an hour or two after the explosions:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoXVKFw1Uci5dFNpRGdWd2pXZTN4a3Fza0VhVTRVaGc&output=html&utm_source=buffer&buffer_share=52a68

Sometimes bad things bring out the best in people. And not just a few people, but thousands of them. As that other chap said, the good guys outnumber the bad ones by far, and always will. 

28/04/2013 at 21:46

I'm confused - young Inspector Morse is interviewing a suspect (Martin Jarvis) he will come across again when he is older, but the suspect is younger!

How's that work then?

28/04/2013 at 22:29

Evening All

Well run XB - nice shiny PB to end the weekend

Snaily - fingers crossed the running club is suitable but it may also be wise also to check whether they accommodate run / walk in their beginners group since as XB said reducing walking increases endurance (and he sure is living proof of that today ) and many clubs simply increment running time rather than run / walk

Loved the joke Pippi - a double whammy for Westie as it was both scottish and "bad!"

Nice riding Yums - I did a bit on the bike today too but sadly for me it was sandwiched between two eyeballs out runs in the last of the winter duathlons which was unseasonably hot and I had to work particularly hard on the 1st bike lap to shake a teenage lad who was drafting me   Still it was a gorgeous day to be out and about

LOL Pippi re Morse - Mr P made a similar comment!  We've been enjoying Endeavour, how are you finding it?

And well done to the elusive Far-far who has spent the last however many weeks telling us she isn't training but then apparently has a good run.........now that sounds promising to me - and they do say rest and recovery are the most important parts of the training schedule

Well sadly it is nearly the start of another week and I am rather tired from an excess of fresh air and exercise so I shall bid you all good night and good sleeps - especially XB - and see you all tomorrow

28/04/2013 at 22:41

another endeavour fan here.  We love the Oxford scenes and references, decent scripts and acting too.  

time for some zzzzzzzzz's

XB
29/04/2013 at 06:15

Bleurgh and double bleurgh.

Crap night's sleep cos I was too hot and achey. My legs don't work so well and my blistered toes hurt.

Add me to the endeavour fan list.

29/04/2013 at 06:55

morning

hope you can rest today xb

London mara ballots open !

29/04/2013 at 07:23

Morning 

((((((XB)))))) in the words of  someone whose name I can't remember 'fame costs and right here is where you start paying'  

((((Noggs lovely legs)))))

Don't let me stop you entering, mandax!

Well duathloned, Podds. All sounds like hard work and fancy taking on a teenager you know from experience how pesky they are.

Watch out world I'm afraid that I will not be able to make everyone happy today

29/04/2013 at 07:29

Morning

Hope you survive the day XB!!

29/04/2013 at 08:24

Morning each,

XB, have a day off, in fact, everyone can have the day off.

Not sure how you get your legs back after a hard mara, but I reckon cake is in there somewhere.

Speaking of legs, the Nog inflamed left pin is a bit easier today.  i got down the stairs fairly normally this morning.  More hozzie stuff for me today.

More coffee on its way.

29/04/2013 at 08:44

Morning all.

XB, sorry you're paying for the glory, but to have beaten even your aspiration by more than half an hour (!!!!!) must have involved your legs (and everything else) making a much bigger effort even than you'd trained for, so they're really entitled to complain a bit today. But hopefully it will ease off in the course of the day so you can really enjoy the sweet success! 

Wow, Podds, great going in that duathalon. Have to say, tho, I pity any teenage bloke who's dumb enough to think he can get a free ride from you!  Hope you had a better sleep than XB and are feeling good about it all today. 

Nogs, sounds like good news on the leg. Hope the hozzie is pleased with you today. Let us know, please.

Yums, radical thought to start your week: you are not SUPPOSED to make everyone happy! In fact, you can't: everyone is responsible for their own happy. You just be you, and that'll do everyone else fine. xxxxx

Oooh, Mandax, you going for London next year??

Thanks for the poll re Endeavour. We adored all the Morses, and the Lewises, but haven't tried the Endeavours yet. Sounds promising. 

'Een spotje regen' it said on the weather forecast (a little spot of rain). Yeah, right. It's chucking it down in handfuls. But a) we need it and b) tomorrow will be fine for the big day, so we'll settle for that. 

Still can't get used to waking up the day after a run and finding I'm not crippled. 

Time to go do some chores, I guess. WAISt well, all. xxxxx

29/04/2013 at 09:30

Morning all, better news on the leg front Noggy and XB you can take the week off ( I am )

But only have one thing to say this morning I think I am coming down with the dreaded " man flu " so am going to be quiet and feel sorry for myself.

Coffee still going down ok though

29/04/2013 at 09:32

morning

oh XB no wonder you are a bit achey, hopefully your legs will get moving and you'll be ok.  Dont sit for too long!!!

Noggs hope hozzy appt goes ok.

Chuggy, I cant understand how in this modern day the weather reports are still pretty rubbish, today we've been planned cloudy and cold.  Its currenty burn your eyes out sunny!!!

7k in the bag this morning in 50ish mins. quite pleased with that.  New shoes are ok, legs are not painful at all, but they do need a bit more breaking in.

Podds its what I thought about the club, I'm not sure I'm up to an hour running with hardly any walk breaks, but I've emailed so see what they say.

Ok better get on with this work stuff.

29/04/2013 at 09:48

Morning All

How about a gentle swim XB - works wonders for getting the kinks and aches out

Yums wrote (see)

Watch out world I'm afraid that I will not be able to make everyone happy today

Oh dear Yums  Monday morningitis?  Reminds me of a little door magnet I have on my door which says:

"I can only please one person per day and today is NOT your day.........tomorrow doesn't look good either" 

29/04/2013 at 10:46

morning all

haven't got time to catch up at the mo but wanted to say a massive well done to XB - that sub 4 has just been waiting to happen - I'm SO pleased for you  Any tips on how to get there would be appreciated!!!

I did Stratford half on Sunday in 1:57 - I was expecting to do around the 2:15 mark cos I've plodding along a bit lately and have a few niggles so I am well chuffed

29/04/2013 at 12:13

Superb performance Jenni.  Having seen you run I'm not sure you need too much advice but XB would be best placed to help.

Hospital done and dusted,  Bloods, injection, sample and X-Ray all sorted.  Just waiting on a phone call to tell me todays rat poison dose.  I'm back tomorrow, hopefully just bloods and injection.

The head nurse advised me not too cycle for a while,  (no swimming, running, hard gymming etc etc either) She said I'm probably safe but that's the protocol.

She also told me I'd had something of a 'near miss' as it could have been a lot more serious.

Another week off the bike doesn't seem to be too high a price to pay.

Another coffee on it's way then a quick lunch and a courtesy visit to a customer.

29/04/2013 at 12:42

Hello there

Woooooo hoooooo indeedy to the dashing duo XB and Farty pants. Much respect, awe and wonder.

look after yourself Noggy, cycling and wait until your leg is better.

Read back earlier this morning and have subsequently forgotten everything. 

I'm feeling a bit bleurgh. Think I need to look for a new job, though the thought of the whole application process fills me with weary dread.

Happy new week - hope the sun shines where you are

XB
29/04/2013 at 12:44

After my bout of self indulgence yesterday I must say that there were some sterling waister performances yesterday - Podds fighting to the death in a Duelathlon, Meldy getting her leg over and giving it some welly and of course, sneaky FarFar expecting to run at 10:20ish pace but running at under 9:00 pace.

Was it just a small prick, Noggs? Joking apart, it does sound like a close shave. Lady Luck was shining on you.

Poor Old Westie. Shall I send Nursey round?

That gives you some incentive, Snaily. Try reducing your run walk to something like 3/1 and see how you go. Also look at the run england website to see if there's a beginners group near you. We've brought a lot of runners on from nothing and now they're running 4 miles on a Monday night.

29/04/2013 at 13:03

XB, not a hint of self indulgence came through.  We were all in awe and celebrating yours and Jenni's  runs.  Yes. there were other mighty Waister achievements too but you deserve the headlines.

We just want to share the magic.

Right, just got my rat poison dosage phoned through.  I'm off to customers.

29/04/2013 at 14:10

Afternoon

No XB - as Noggs said, not self indulgence at all but righteous basking in the afterglow 

You've experimented a lot over the last few years with various styles of running and different types of training plans and it's paid off by finding what works for you which allied to good old fashioned application has paid off royally

((((((((((DL))))))))))) not surprised the idea of changing jobs is lurking - the amount of travel they expect from you is quite frankly ridiculous - a few odd weeks like that or may be one or two days a week max fair enough (if you knew what you were going into) but such quantities week in week out is just plain silly...

I am on the rampage (there's something new )

We have some work which must be with an exam board tomorrow and I am still waiting for ICT to get me the CD.....it has to go by trackable means so we're now looking at (I think) 1st class special delivery.  

The IT guy promised us it Friday afternoon, which became late Friday, which became Monday break which became Monday lunch...............I have now involved SLT and the Bursar who is his line manager and have been promised it by 2.30pm latest.............watch this space!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.