working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

217,361 to 217,380 of 243,229 messages
30/04/2013 at 07:28

Good morning WAISters! Happy day here in the flatlands. We intend to whistle a few tunes, and maybe change a crown ))

Queen Beatrix gave a beautiful speech last night, about how in a constitutional monarchy the king or queen is a unifying factor who gained value not from power or inherited right but from a desire to servie the country. She thanked everyone for their love and support over the years, and said also how much her husband, Prins Clause, had done to modernise the monarchy. 'History may well say that my choice of partner was the best decision I ever made.' (Marrying a German back in the mid-60's was a bold step, but Claus and she made a great team and he became the best-loved member of the royal family. He died 4 years ago and she misses him terribly.) 

Now Mr C and C3 are at the bakery (where else?) getting lots of orange-coloured pastries which will look great on the breakfast table (even tho no one but Mr C will eat them  Then off to the village to stand in the tiny little square where there is a bit screen set up so everyone can watch the Abdication presentation of the new king and queen on the balcony, then sing the national anthem, then have coffee and cake (obviously), then wander around and chat to people (all of whom, like us, will be wearing red, white and blue and orange). Then this afternoon we'll be glued to the telly to watch the formal installation of the new king in the Great Church in Amsterdam, where he swears to uphold the Constitution and defend the country and protect the liberty and rights of everyone who is here, and members of Parliament swear loyal to him under the Constitution.

Then there's this giant pardee in Amsterdam, and everywhere else. We prolly won't go back into town for it, but it will go on til late. They are running special trains to and from Amsterdam, the last one leaving at 4 am tomorrow. 

After all that, think I'll try to slide out for a little chug, just to recover  Should be a brilliant day, though. This country has really thought hard about how you combine a modern democracy with a monarch, and they seem to have got it right. 

Apologies for very self-absorbed post, but around here we talk of little else today! xx

30/04/2013 at 07:35

Oops, wasn't ignoring people.

Nogs, hope the hozzie goes well. And you never know, maybe as a reward for being so good now you will award yourself that bike 

Morning XB, LOVE the photo on your FB page of you finishing!!! It's a perfect picture of a perfect race!

Morning Spence

Podds, thank you for spreading the good word  I'm sure this is not the first time you've stunned Mr P by your comprehensive knowledge of world affairs 

And just saw that C1 managed to use the stuff I sent her weeks ago, and add a bit more, and she decorated her whole corner of the office in orange and had orange goodies etc  (Tried to post a photo but it didn't work 

30/04/2013 at 07:36

Morning 

Guess i fall into the anyone else category then, Spence? Anyway, hurry up, m.... Eldy says you need to start at 9.30 

Bravo on one up to you, Podds 

Happy troonswissel chuggy 

Look after that leggy, Noggy 

*waves to Tubbs* 

Having a tramp in the woods tonight with plod club 

30/04/2013 at 07:38

Sounds a wonderful way to celebrate the reign of a popular queen Chuggs.

Hope you have a cracking day.  I'll find something orange to wear to show solidarity.

I'd love to see The Netherlands 'en fete' - partying seems to come quite easily to the cloggies.

30/04/2013 at 07:39

Blimey, looks like we're all up at the same time.

That's how rumours start.

30/04/2013 at 08:20

Well, most of us would be honoured to be rumoured to be associated with you, Lord Nogs, sir 

Yup, partying is a Dutch speciality. They had a roaring night last night, apparently. The entire country is currently wearing orange, it's incredibly jolly. We shall shortly don our foot-high orange hats with a tastful patch of red-white-blue on the side. 

And you all need to be studying the words to the Kongingslied so you can sing along tonight. After all the kerfuffle, the organisers decided to keep it, and it's kind of growing on everyone. C3 had the key: 'If it weren't a compromise, it wouldn't be Dutch'. 

In order to help you learn the words, here they are with the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lRn6oBwWY

Now, this will show you the other people singing with you---this is nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEUKyKb4g6k

30/04/2013 at 09:30

Hmmmmmm, Chuggs just listened to the 'anthem'.  Without knowing the sentiments expressed in the lyrics and being an outsider to the bunting and frolics, it does sound a bit like a one size fits all Eurovison style corporate dirge.

If I were to embrace the party atmosphere I'm sure I'd be singing along with everyone else by the end of the day, or four beers (whichever comes soonest)

Have a great day and I hope you have the sunshine we have here.

30/04/2013 at 11:52

Bloods and jab done.

My leg is still swollen but much less painful.  Hopefully I'll be done at the DVT clinic by friday, I just need to get the warfarin dose settled.

A quick kit change the I'm out to work.  I have to empty my van out tonight as its in for service and MOT tomorrow.  That will require another medical procedure known as a 'Wallet Biopsy'

30/04/2013 at 12:03

Nogs, does that mean you will be done with treatment by Friday and all this will be over? Or do you have to go on with the warfarin?  I know DVT can be very serious, a colleague of mine got it on a long flight, but I don't know much about how they handle it. Are you signed off after this, or do you still have to take medicines?

And you are right about the song, as I said it wasn't met with wild enthusiasm, but it's relatively inoffensive. The melody is pleasant, though the words, as someone said, are more like a lullaby than a salute to a new king. Anyway, it will be sung tonight by lots of people so you might as well join in, everyone welcome 

And now we have a king. We stood around with hundreds of other people (all wearing orange somewhere on their persons) and watched them sign the act of abdication (the act being passed round just like an attendance list at a meeting) and cheered when it was done. Everyone is pleased that Beatrix can take some time off, and people are very optimistic about the new royals. 

This afternoon is interesting, because W-A will be neither crowned or enthroned, though the crown, orb, and sceptre are there in the front of the church, and he and Max will sit on their thrones. The thing is, here the monarchy is a special constitutional role, not a God-given special status. So the crown never 'belongs' to any person, and in fact is never worn. It's a subtly but importantly different view of monarchy than we are used to in England. But it seems to work well here. 

30/04/2013 at 14:53

Afternoon,

It sounds as if the country is having a great time, Chuggy, it's just a pity that the King's song is bland rather than being a traditional Dutch oompa. Nevermind, I am sure that is not going to spoil the occasion for anyone!

Well done Podds, I love the idea of you wowing Mr P with your knowledge of international affairs

Spence, when I was running, I used to be at half mara fitness pretty much all of the time with some 'speedwork' somewhere during the week. My times were certainly coming down when I was doing that. I have never been convinced of the benefit of starting from scratch again for every race.

Noggy, I am glad to hear that the treatment is going well. I guess that you will be on warfarin for about 3 months?

It is a beautiful day here, MS and I sat outside on the quay and did a sluggie, then had an icecream before we left. It is quite a sun-trap down there and was pretty busy. It was nice to sit and watch the Brownsea ferries potter around and there was a very impressive Sunseeker manouvering too.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

30/04/2013 at 15:07

Afternoon

Exciting times Chuggy, good that everyone is celebrating

OK XB will try r4/w1 as a starter and see how I get on, I dont have a fancy garmin so will have to rely on my app!!!  The app is trying to get me to run a whole 10k (no walk breaks) realistically I doubt I'll ever get to that. 

I need to sit down and work something out.  I dont do any other excercise at the moment either, not sure I can fit in any more!!! 

Core, what core!!!!

I missed my run this morning because of an early meeting, it was a very funny meeting though, which made me smile.  Not sure if I'll run tonight, we had a major family issue last night, and there has been a right old bust up.  I'm trying to calm it all down but it isnt happening.  So no sleep last night and I was particularly upset with the situation seeing as we're all trying to cope with Snaunty's situation.  My phone has been off today!

Families......cant live with em.....cant kill em!!!

30/04/2013 at 15:29

Enjoy the day Chuggy (I'm sure you will )

Noggy good that things are improving just don't scare the lounge again .

Snaily if I ever get going again it will like starting from scratch as i loose my fitness rather quickly these days. However lots of running last night all the wrong type and nose rather tender today.

A little light reading if you want Scott catching up on his running blog hope the link works.

http://runningwildinscotland.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=3

30/04/2013 at 18:14

Sounds like a grand day Chuggs

(((Snaily)))

(((Nogs))))

Makes perfect sense not starting from stratch, I guess I've always had my knees in the back of my mind and have eased off after each half......but as I always listen to XB I'm thinking of doing the Tewkesbury half in a couple of weeks....Far Far is up for it too Mr Spence is working so just need to sort that out...

OOOh the new King is on the telly!

M...eldy    pirate
30/04/2013 at 18:47

No wonder you are having problems if your knees are in the back of your mind, no one should run like that    

M...eldy    pirate
30/04/2013 at 18:48

I have had a busy day but looking around me I am not sure I have achieved much   !!

30/04/2013 at 18:52

Tewkesbury is close to DL isn't it !!?

30/04/2013 at 19:15

Well, thanks to a electronic link with the big Ahoy theatre in Rotterdam the new somg was sung to the royal family by several hundred thousand people. People in the Caribbean parts of the kingsom too. Now watching the progress down the IJ (Amsterdam river). Gorgeous evening, loads of boats on the river as well as the royal boat. They stop for presentations every few miles. It's the National Ballet just now, the last stop was all about high and low points in recent sports events (text delivered Inrap, very jolly). The three little princesses (9, 7 and 5) Re having a blast. 

30/04/2013 at 19:57

Well that's me and the Far Far entered

Anyone else?

M...eldy    pirate
30/04/2013 at 19:58
Spence wrote (see)

Tewkesbury is close to DL isn't it !!?

I'm sure its only a train stop away 

XB
30/04/2013 at 20:04

Windy pops that day.

Try this for size. Set your Garmin screen to show something meaningless and run to feel. Take a walk break when you feel you need one and just for as long as it'll do you good.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.