working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

217,621 to 217,640 of 232,852 messages
28/04/2013 at 08:42

Gooooooooooooo XB

He-Man yums, wasn't he Master of the Universe???

Spence, I'm with Chuggy I love my iPhone and wouldn't be without it, not sure I will ever be tempted away

i have NO plans today, apart from a run this afternoon. House is clean, ironing done, what am I going to do????

28/04/2013 at 09:32

GO XB!!!!

I'm off out for 6 miles -ish, then going to the Uni Library. I was going to go yesterday, then meet Mr P, but my phone was dead and meting him might have been a problem! Actually I'd rather go today, as he's on nights and I can take my time.

Belated birthday greetings to daffs - I hope you're having a birthday weekend of it!

SD - I never stretch before a run but I do afterwards. That could be just me. Take it easy.

28/04/2013 at 09:34

Hi Simon. 

I'm wrong person to answer you but sure someone clever will be in soon

i did run and pleased I did. 3.7 miles , blue sky and no gloves!  Cuppa and half hr on computer now before rest of house emerge. 

what time does XB start ?

28/04/2013 at 09:46

Can we track XB?

28/04/2013 at 09:50

Morning each,

Hi Simon, likewise, I'm probably the least qualified to mither about plodding.  Hmm, you mention that you cycle and swim.  You may live to regret saying that.

Go XB, I predict that you'll have a good un.

Hospital for me this morning.  I think it's just injection and bloods to determine my Warfarin dose.

I did think about cycling in but HL wants to drive me.  I may get a chance to cycle in another day - tomorrow, for example, is a bit more full on.  I have injection, yet more bloods, more tests and X-Rays so I'll use the car. Tuesday on may be a bit more relaxed though.

Daffs, 500 taters needs an explanation.

28/04/2013 at 09:51

Xpost Amanda,

Not sure if we can track him but he does have the tag the magistrates gave him

28/04/2013 at 10:35

I've had a poke around the Manchester Marathon site but it doesn't look like you can track individual runners  Guess we'll just have to baste our breasts and wait for XB's report. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GO GO GO XB~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nogs, I'm with HL. At least til things are a bit more settled, going to hozzie in the car is a good plan. Let us know what they say. 

Amandax, nicely chugged  Manchester officially started at 0900 so runners will be coming in all afternoon. 

Pippi, enjoy a nice leisurely chug. Those can be the best!

Snaily, there is a peculiar activity known as relaxing that you might explore. It can include anything: reading, snoozing, walking, watching telly, listening to music, meeting friends, even chugging. The only test is whether you're doing it because you like it, not because you have to! Give it a try, you might like it 

Hi, Simon, well done and welcome back to the running community! Others will be along who advise better, but I think the current medical view is that stretching before exercise doesn't actually help much, tho stretching afterward can be helpful. Otherwise, the main thing is to work at it slowly and enjoy yourself! We're a friendly lot here, so why not pull up a chair and tell us more about yourself? Needn't just be about running, we are nosey and like to hear about ANYTHING 

Yums, saying no by email is a lot easier than in person---just do it! The other thing is harder, but kinder. IT's going howhere from your point of view, and it's really better for all not to create expectations of a friendship you can't sustain. Not easy. 

((((((((((Yums))))))))))

Well, my chug was indeed slow and ugly but 3 miles were done. This horribel winter has put me back nearly to square one. Sigh. On the bright side: barefoot stuff does work for me  Nothing hurts  I'm determined to do 10 k with you lot at Stratty even if at a distance. 

Went for coffee with Mr C: spot the national celebrations in the bakery? (Hint: the national colour is orange....)

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/165813/gallery/2013-04-28_10.34.30.jpg?width=350

28/04/2013 at 11:29

Good morning my lovely WAISTers,

GO GO GO XB, RARARA

Hello and welcome, Simon. I think the two pieces of advice that I would give are 1) get yourself some properly fitted running shoes that are appropriate for your gait as that will help reduce injury 2) don't stretch cold muscles and 3) don't try to do too much too soon. Oh dear, did I say 2 peices of advice??

Belated Happy Birthdays to Daffy and Mr C  It sounds as if both had enjoyable days.

(((Yums))) saying 'no' actually gets easier with practice. I think the important thing is to make it clear and not to make excuses. If yoy say 'no, because...' the other person comes up with something to counter your reason and you then end up either having to think of another excuse (which they will also counter) or giving in and doing whatever it was.

(((Noggy))) I'm glad that you have got this sorted quickly. I must say that our local hozzie also has a bery good DVT service - but they tell people not to exercise. Which was bad news to the mara runner who sprung a DVT

Dragon-Sue, I hope that you are able to relax and enjoy your weekend. How many days is it now?

Snaily, Chuggy is right. Just do whatever you want today, you really deserve some down-time! I am glad to hear that people are pulling together to make Snaunty's wedding special - all except Mr Snaunty of course, but I feel sorry for him because he will have the rest of his life to regret his actions/attitude.

MS and I went to see this yesterday. It was certainly different to the kind of thing we would usually see but was very enjoyable. today we are planning a visit here - if I ever get my arris out of bed!!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxxxx

ps, My small font seems to have disappeared as mysteriously as it arrived...

28/04/2013 at 11:31

Coooeeee late in! Soon as I turned my iPod on this morning friend was Skyping from NZ

XB seemed to think we could track him!!?

I've done 3 miles, DD was getting lots of puppy kisses from an 8month Springer called Dizzy

Come on XB!!!!

and 'H' who's trying for a sub 4!!

28/04/2013 at 11:33

Thanks for the iPhone views! I'm very tempted... 

28/04/2013 at 13:21

XB 'll have done by now hopefully.

Hozzy d and d'd.  As I thought, bloods and a jab in tum.  

Not much planned for the rest of the day.  I'm feeling a bit beaten up at the mo so will chill today.  

Chicken, roasties  heaps of veg and the best gravy in the land, ready for 3.15 - form a nice queue.

28/04/2013 at 13:38

OM-FlIPPIN'-G!!!

Had a text from Far Far  who has quietly done Straford half in a stonkin time

and just come off the phone to XB who has had a FLIPPIN FANTASTIC race !!

he told me to come in and tell you....3:55:15    he ran for a bit with H, over took her, then she over took him!!

Oh I'm so proud !! Well done both

28/04/2013 at 13:49

Any tips for getting a good pace going ? need lots of tips ????

28/04/2013 at 13:49

YESSSS!! Just sawa XB's result----thud! He was hoping for under 4:30 and blow me down if he didn't come in under 4 hours!!! What man!!!

And now we hear that FarFar (she who hasn't had time to train?? yes???) has done a half and aced it!

WAISTERS RULE!!!!! 

Fantabulously well done, both! xxxxxx 

28/04/2013 at 14:00

Blimey,

Well done XB and well snuck under the radar Jenni.

Fabbo performances both, gold medals all round.

That's set the bar a bit high now.

Sorry Anna, you got a bit lost in the afterglow from two of our stars.  Some of our more knowledgable types will help you on the right track soon.

28/04/2013 at 14:13

Hi Anna

You need to speak to Far Far and XB

Honestly you'd think I'd run, I'm so happy for them I could cry!!!!

28/04/2013 at 14:31

H came in at 3:51  a 10 minute PB

XB
28/04/2013 at 16:35

Here's how it happened.

The plan was to meet up with a couple of Fetchies and run together and try and get a 4:30. That plan went right out of the window cos I couldn't find them at the start. Plan B was to run with the 4:30 pacer. That soon went out of the window cos I set out too quickly. Plan C was to catch the 4:15 pacer and go for a wee PB. That proved easier than I expected cos I was running faster than I've ever run in a Mara. Plan D was to hunt down the 4:00 pacer. I spotted him at 6 miles but it took me 2 miles to catch him. Instead of sitting in the big bunch behind him, I whizzed past and went looking for Mr 3:45. I never saw him.

I did see Spence's mate H and passed her but that didn't last long. Once I got to 18 miles, it started to get tough and she breezed past. I clung to her until the 20 mile mark and then I had to start taking regular walk breaks. (20 miles was something like 2:56:15 a 20 minute PB)

I knew I was on for a big PB but could I run 6 miles in an hour to sneak under 4 hours. Yes I could and I did.

I have known that I was capable of going under 4 hours and decided I was going to do it this year. Since February I've lost 11lbs and it has had a dramatic effect on the speed of my training sessions. I've also significantly reduced my walk breaks to try and build endurance. It's worked and I am well happy. I did have a bit of a blub to Mrs XB when I told her.

28/04/2013 at 16:42

XB that's amazing!  you worked hard anyour created reward! Well done !

28/04/2013 at 16:44

Bloody brilliant XB a great run and result and Far far slipping a quiet one in too a very good WAISter running day .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.