working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

201 to 220 of 235,773 messages
14/02/2004 at 13:08
Trin

It's Ok to walk for bits on a long run. That's what the more experienced club runners were saying today. But it's best not to stop completely, as the old leg muscles won't want to start moving again.

Hope tomorrow goes well
14/02/2004 at 18:11
thanks, ff

undecided on best course of action for 10m.

all I want to do is cross the finish line at some point before everyone goes home!

soo...

options are

- to carry on building mileage up to date of race (currently only doing around 5 miles continuous runs)@ 1 mile per week and 'wing' last couple of miles on the day

- carry on building mileage at a greater rate, but build in/increase walking element + taper off in final week

- give up as unrealistic (least desired option)

thoughts, anyone?
XB
14/02/2004 at 18:16
T1

Option 3 is out.

If it was me, I would go for option 2. The closer you get to the actual race mileage the more confident you will be that you can actually finish. More confidence = relaxed approach = enjoyable experience.

Which race is it BTW?

XB
14/02/2004 at 18:47
Hi all.
First day without ciggies and alls well so far. keeping busy and dreaming of the day when i can get full lungfulls of air whilst running.

T1 - 2nd option i would go for but be very carefull you ease off if you feel any extra soreness. you dont want injuries. You will probably find on the day you wont need to walk as the adrenalin will carry you along.
15/02/2004 at 09:18
Trin

I would add 1.5 miles run/walk/ to your long run.

That way, in 2 weeks time you will be doing an 8 miler.

I wouldn't aim for any more than that, because you don't want to overdo it before the following weekend's race.

If you can do 8 miles, you can easily do a 10 mile race.

Plenty of people run/walk in races, and they often finish well before tortoises like me.

15/02/2004 at 16:45
Hi all, well have managed to be out - in the end as feeling a bit 'fragile' after last night went for r/w option - 4x20 min runs + 5 min walk intervals.

was quite pleased to manage it (tho' was post ibuprofen hangover cure - so was probably running through the pain! )

will go and check how far i got (definitely further than last week - but ? how much)

Thanks for your help guys

how's Sunday gone for everyone else?

T1
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
15/02/2004 at 17:25
Not a bad day for me. I did the Atlantic College 10k in 64m 31s (my watch), which is actually a pb for me which I am pleased about.
The fact that it was my first race since Cardiff, due to being contiually injured really pleased me.

I'm havings some trouble with my pc and cannot join in the discussions for some reason, so I have to use my laptop, bit of a nuisance.

Good day everyone
XB
15/02/2004 at 18:15
Top running Caren. That's a good time...

A gentle 4 miles for me this morning. Suffering from a lack of sleep - twin 1 has 4:00am earache for 3 days on the trot. Yawn.

The best bit of the plod was the view at the top of the hill it was soooo clear I felt I could reach out and touch Ingleborough.

The only other person to share it with me was a lone horsewoman - we had a chat about how smug you feel when you get up early and get to see the sun rise on such a cracking morning.

Keep away from the fags, L

XB
15/02/2004 at 18:22
Well done Caren! Very similar to my 10K time (well, OK mine's a couple of minutes faster).

T1, I'm no expert on training (in fact you sound like you know more than I do) but I think you're right when you say you can 'wing it' on the day, but not for more than the extra mile, maybe 2 miles. The only problem is how much you're gonna hurt the next day!

Then again, if you can increase your long run up to 10m with plenty of walking, at least you know you can do it and will, of course, be able to do it a little faster on the day. So I reckon the second option would be better - at least it will give you the confidence that you'll get round one way or another!

Larraine - I gave up the ciggies a few months before I started running and it was fantastic when I realised I wasn't being hampered by my breathing anymore.
It did take a while (though I'm sure you'll feel some immediate effects) so stick with it. One day I realised that I was able to run do much further and my legs were becoming tired before my lungs and that was a good feeling, worth all the hard work. :-)
M...eldy    pirate
15/02/2004 at 18:45
Evening guys - looks like this thread is becoming popular - which is nice!!
They have restricted our internet access at work which means I get a nice little 'access denied' message each time I try and log on to RW!!! ruined what used to be a perfectly acceptable day at work!!

Keep up the good work every one - oh and Larraine - I to am no longer on the dreaded weed - 2 weeks tomorrow....
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
15/02/2004 at 19:10
Thanks for your support guys.

I gave up smoking just over four years ago, that was after more than 30 years!

I was up to 20-30 a day, I just had a gutsful of a wheezy chest and the fact that it was ruling my life!

If I was going anywhere, coach, train or plane, the first thing I would think of would be ..... how long without a fag!!!!!

Now I am training for a Marathon, a lifetime ambition for me.

Keep it up guys, count the days, they will soon be in double figures, then you can count the weeks, before you know it, you will looking at years, you will be rich, fast and your skin, hair and eyes will be fantastic!
15/02/2004 at 21:57
Caren- congrats on your PB.
My 10k PB is very similar to yours- 63.03.
It's nice to be posting on a forum where other people's abilities are much the same as my own.
Larraine & IMM- good luck with keeping off the ciggies.
15/02/2004 at 22:05
Hippo

How did you get on in the ultra?
15/02/2004 at 22:33
FF hippos race report is over in events.
15/02/2004 at 22:36
Thanks Hoover
15/02/2004 at 22:37
Run/walk ROCKS!
15/02/2004 at 22:45
I've just read your report, Hippo.

35 miles!!!!!- AND you can still use a keyboard.

Many many congratulations and ...
RESPECT

Guess the marathon will seem like a stroll in the park for you now!

Hope you recover quickly.
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
16/02/2004 at 08:24
Morning all

Well done that hippo.

I've just got a few minor niggles this am, otherwise feeling fine, I am eternally grateful to the Marquis for his leg massages over the past few weeks.

Muppets walked, it's a luvverly day out there, fresh and crisp.

Off to do the work thing now

See you later
16/02/2004 at 09:11
Morning all

Caren, well done on you 10K PB - it's a fantastic feeling isn't it?

Hippo - I take my hat off to you - I am seriously impressed. I know how much work it takes to train for ultras as our club won the London to Brighton team event this year (55 miles'ish) and I know how hard the guys worked and for how long.

My long run was mixed.
On the plus side I did about 10.5 miles which was more or less the target.
On the negative side is that I was much slower than my last long run which was less than a mile shorter and this morning I have a very sore ankles / lower legs.
I think the problem is that I tense my feet when I get tired with the result that I have a marginally sore achilles on one leg and on the other the muscle / tendon you use to pull the foot up (can never remember by ankle anatomy!) is decidedly sore.
Oh well unlikely to find time to run now until next Sunday due to crazy work and other stuff this week so plenty of time to recover.
D1
16/02/2004 at 10:42
Hi all - well done on the PB Caren and with the ciggies L! I only had time for a 60 mins run on Sat (usually my long run day) & still only 12 min miling but felt very comfy and did a bit of that dashing between lamposts thing. Managed 3 1/2m this morning on the gym tready in 38 mins after an 8m hillwalk yesterday. It's so nice to read about people's running that I can relate to on this thread (tho' I do enjoy following what the fast runners get up to too!). Good luck with your preps for the 10m, T1 - sounds like you've got the right strategy! I've just seen the timetable for our lunch hour gym running club and they have two runs a week for the 10/12 min milers (also intermediate & advanced groups on 3 & 5 times a week) so I'm going to start off with them which I'm hoping will help me improve. Must go and read hippo's ultra report - what a lady!
201 to 220 of 235,773 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.