working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

220,181 to 220,200 of 242,949 messages
08/07/2013 at 09:30

Morning All

It's 9:25 and I'm looking at the clock - had an early start for work today so in order to keep my routine up I had to do it earier - hence Ian in bed at 8pm last night!!

Thankfully the baby slept - in fact he was still sleeping when I left.

Struggling for a route that I like at the moment - my main problem? To many hills around me - everything is on a hill - sooo frustrating.

Thinking about getting in the car and driving to an area that it is mainly flat.  I don't mind hills but when living in a valley - everything is build on a mountain or bottom of mountain. I find it demotivating.

Anyhow - how is everyone this morning?

08/07/2013 at 10:16

Wholly crap it's hot out there, only managed a 10k (6.5miles) and it took 1hr17mins. My slowest run to date!!!  I did a new schedule r/sb/w

run= 3mins

shade break= 10mins

walk= 5mins

hee hee!!! Bit disappointed I didn't do the 10 miles but me and sunshine don't get on, being fair and covered in freckles means I get sunstroke in 5mins flat!!!

08/07/2013 at 10:23

Sunshine - I'm loving it at the moment - I'm trying to get my head sorted and my routines in place while its still sunny - cause when it rains I'm not going to like it!! So it'll be easier if I've got a routine set.

I went at 6:30 this morning at it was still 'cooking' my word it was hot. So I'm glad I didn't go later - I'd be likeyou otherwise - a puddle of water running down the road!!

08/07/2013 at 10:31

Ian, those hills are a bu$$er, aren't they?! They are bliddy good training though and will stand you in good stead if ever you decide to race. I always felt a bit guilty about driving somewhere to run, but it does open up so many more routes in nice places

Coco, I'm glad that you are feeling better today. I think it is natural, after a long period of illness or injury, to think that it won't last. It takes a long time to learn to trust your body again!

Yums, I do hope that you find somewhere with some air! It was already 20+ here when I left for aquagym at 7.30

(((Podds))), I hope that you are feeling better today too.

Nice to see you again XB, glad you had a good weekend. As Chuggy says, you will all have memories to treasure

Well chugged, Chuggy!

Glad the builders have arrived Snaily, what are you having done?

Out for coffee and lunch with bff, as usual on a Monday.

WAIST well xxx

08/07/2013 at 11:29

Ian _ I'm totally a fair weather runner, but now its too bloody hot!  I love running at the moment, but when the dark mornings draw in I cant get out of bed, never mind donning the lycra to go into the freezing cold!  Oh and I also hate hills, I live in a really hilly part of the country, so try to stick to a beach run where its flat, only problem is the further I go there is bound to be a hill somewhere along the route!

I have 3 builders in my garden, all with their tops off, not a bad sight

We are having the garden renovated, its only small (8mx4m) but there is a huge slate heap and its sloping so needs levelling off, some nice fencing, a shrub area, and all paved court yard style.  I really hope its as nice as  I want it. 

Right its my day off so there is a million things to do, tip, ASDA, few calls then have to write a new job description.  (but deffo no more sun for me today!)

08/07/2013 at 12:01

I want your training plan, Snaily  - and your view for the afternoon!!

Am contemplating skiving off this afternoon and going home to work as I don't have any meetings 

Planning a run tomorrow morning at 7am - as I'm not a morning runner, let's see if it actually happens.

My knees have just carried me painlessly down 5 storeys' worth of stairs but it is amazing how little I trust them, Sluggy - you are so right.  I decided not to use the handrail for one short flight of stairs and panicked spectacularly at the top - how stooopid is that???!!

I'm really praying this painfree-ness lasts for tomorrow's run!

And I'm with Ian on this one - I'm also trying to get back into it and build fitness and routines before the weather changes and autumn sets in!!  

08/07/2013 at 12:32

Snaily & Coco - oddly enough - when ever I'm in the garden with my top off I get nothing but complaints - mostly from my wife - I just don't understand women any more!!

Also Co-co I'll be running at 7am tomorrow - I'll be running wondering if you are also running or enjoying the blankets

Slugs - there's a number of places that I'd love to drive to to run but as I'm running and walking for about 30mins I'm wondering that's the point cause the places I'd go to demand so much more attention on the eye #outstandingviews - perhaps I'll do it on saturdays and take my time and walk more. Maybe an idea

08/07/2013 at 12:50

Hi everyone, i'm back as promised. Am finding it very hard to keep up with you these days but i'll try!

Snail, i have 2 builders over the road doing an extension. It really helps pass the time when i'm sitting on my bum feeding mini2.

i have had my post natal check today so i can run now, yay!

08/07/2013 at 13:20

Still in the office 

08/07/2013 at 14:09

woohoo Ellie, dust those trainers off and get out in the sunshine!  I saw a bloke the other morning running with a baby in a pushchair, it was 6.30am!  Obviously baby was an early riser!

Ian - never EVER forget to stop and look at the view on a run, you will often see me posting pics on FB and here of my run views, that's what encourages me outside, I've seen some amazing sunrises and wildlife I would have never normally seen.

I've made SW Ferrero Roche for tomorrows group, though I don't think I was supposed to lick the spoon clean of nutella

Right better get back to doing some work.

08/07/2013 at 14:12

oh and better dig out some summer clothes for work, going to be like an oven in my office tomorrow.  Yums I do have a window, the sun shines through it and turns it into a bloody green house!

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
08/07/2013 at 14:17

Dog it's hot out there!!! 

I hope all the lurgified people are feeling better today.

Yay for Ellie 

I've been digging my embroyonic veg plot over. It's taking shape well thanks to Nogs . It''ll be ready for planting my seedlings by the end of the week. I have carrots, cauli, swede, onions, spring onions and parsnips all sprouting nicely.

Lots of talk of running going on here - what's heppening? 

edit: the heat is causing my spelling to be worse than usual!

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 14:18
08/07/2013 at 14:20

Snaily - I've got a strap thingy coming in the post so I can strap my iphone to my arm so I can listen to music - I'm going to start taking some pics so I can start a little library - I'll post on on here when I remember

08/07/2013 at 14:40

"What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stop and stare?" (

So true.  I don't always manage it myself but I am a great lover of this world that we live in and there is always something lovely to be seen on every run, even if it's in the middle of an urban sprawl (where, btw, there are often the best canals).

I'm running on local roads at the moment but I am seeing the loveliest gardens and houses .  Look forward to seeing your pics, Ian - I haven't yet worked out how to get photos on here 

Welcome back to Ellie - glad the view is good where you are.  If I crane my neck to the left and peer through the slats in my office blinds, I can just about see blue sky.

I am soooo going home soon....

08/07/2013 at 14:42

Flippin eck Ian, I wondered what the hec you'd ordered, was thinking you were on the wrong forum

Yes I have a "strap" too, really good and it has a clear plastic cover so can still use the iphone while its in its protection pocket.

Oh eck the neighbour has been round complaining again. I don't know what she wants me to say, yes it'll be a nightmare for about 1 week, but then the gardens will be more secure for her dogs, and we've given her 3 fence panels for her other side, plus a good rotary line, and the promise of paint for the fence.  Its our bloody fence at the end of the day grrrrrrr

The neighbour the other side hasn't said a peep and we're replacing his side too, so I'm more obliged to give him paint etc because he's doing us a favour.  Think boundaries are the most common argument between neighbours!

Anyway, shouldn't be here, though I did come in for a serious question:

After a long run (or a difficult one) I feel ok, but then about 2hrs after I start getting a headache and feel a bit dizzy.  Any idea what it could be?

08/07/2013 at 14:47

At a guess, 2 possible things spring to mind, Snaily:

The first is that you continue to burn calories at a high-rate AFTER you've finished exercising for quite a while.  Obviously this is good because you want to lose weight, but I wonder if you are not refuelling properly and your body has run out of energy (and in particular sugar).  The dizziness would indicate low blood sugar and possibly some low blood pressure too as a result of that.

The second is similar but related to hydration and you may also be losing salt in this hot weather.  People often rehydrate with just water without realising that they lose salt too.

Are you taking on enough fuel, water and salt during and after a long run?

08/07/2013 at 14:48

Btw, I'm not a medic but I do have low blood sugar and low blood pressure and I tend to faint in very hot weather if I haven't got the food and fuel right.

08/07/2013 at 15:02

the low bloody pressure rings a bell, the doc mentioned it last time I went, saying it was very healthy, but I do get dizzy when bending down.

hmmmm I only drink juice, wonder if I'm dehydrated???  Is there some kind of drink to rehydrate fully (but low cal because of my diet?)

08/07/2013 at 15:07

I used to add water to orange juice to dilute it (about 50:50 if you can stand it that weak) plus a pinch of salt to rehydrate.

If you have low blood pressure then you need to make sure you drink plenty of fluids in the hot weather but I was warned to stay away from caffeine and carbonated drinks.  What colour is your urine?  It should be pale straw coloured if you are hydrated properly.  Anything more concentrated and you need to take on more fluid.

08/07/2013 at 15:12

Oh!? I posted an hour ago but it's not here!!

Snaily, I tend to have a yoghurt when I come in from a run talking of which I've done a very lackluster interval session what with the heat, 11 miles yesterday & Parkrun Sat I think perhaps I'm a tad knackered!!

Dotty Dog enjoyed it & found the one muddy puddle

But I forgave her as its her birthday!!  3 today! Can you believe it!!? Where has that time gone!!!?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.