working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

220,561 to 220,580 of 234,124 messages
08/07/2013 at 15:44

*croak*

Afternoon All

I am still lurgified  that's 2 weeks now but do feel I am slowly (very slowly) on the road to recovery but my energy levels are zero

Was going to do a very gentle sea swim at Dover this evening with the club but having just spent 2 hours being a glamorous starter's assistant on the fields for sports day I'm not sure I've got the energy  We'll see - got another hour before I have to decide.............

08/07/2013 at 15:44

Snaily: I have a pint of milk after most runs, and especially longer distance or time. Often an extra pint of water on a hot day. Even just water will help, but the protien in milk both feeds you and helps muscle recovery too. Salt in hot weather is a good plan, personally I prefer pure sea salt, as it tastes better.

08/07/2013 at 15:50

See this is where running collides with slimming, cant have too much milk and sugar, its a fine balance, but as my SW club guru says

"you slim in the kitchen, get fit in the gym"  (At which point I want to slap her!!!)

And she doesn't like exercise so always poo poo's it - silly woman!

Oh Podds, not feel great and spending the day in the sunshine will wipe you out.  Fingers crossed your journey down the road to recovery speeds up a bit!

08/07/2013 at 16:15

Yes, they do, but with you extending your time on feet and mileage, you also need fuel for the run and protien fo help your recovery. Dehydration is a bad thing too, water will help with that but it wont fuel you or help your recovery. As long as you burn more than you put in, you shouldnt come unstuck? (hides now before getting into a slimming conversation as I know it can be a dodgy subject 

08/07/2013 at 16:22

Afternoon all, Just to say hello from my " Lurking" days and let you know I am still on this earth. I have not run / jogged for a few weeks now so have been a bit p*ssed off.Anyway did dig the bike out and eldest son and I headed off to the highlands . I dropped him off for a 22 miles Xcountry ride from Blair Atholl to Braemar then drove round to Braemar and headed out to meet him. Now I don't have a mountain bike just a hybrid and have not been on that for months so felt a bit unsure on dirt tracks.I did manage a few miles without falling off and had a picnic out in the wilds waiting for him.We met up and rode back to the car loaded the bikes up and went to hotel for a night of beer and food.
good to see you are all doing well and have a few new faces in the lounge so continue to play nice and I will carry on lurking .

08/07/2013 at 18:49

A sea swim doesn't sound sensible Podds !

08/07/2013 at 19:03

Excuse me for being a bit blunt for a sec:

Podds - you're crazy.  You've been really quite sick.  About the last thing that would help right now would be a swim in the sea with a club.  Get better properly first. The sea will always be there for another swim.

Snaily - Cheesy is right.  Currently it sounds as though you are refuelling your body for a 20 minute stroll rather than a 10 mile run.  You are doing long distance endurance exercise in high heat at the moment.  Your body is consuming more than you can imagine - in terms of both calories and fluid.  Give it what it needs or you will get sick. You will still continue to lose fat and tone up but you may find the weight loss will slow down as you convert fat to muscle.  Scales can be very misleading when you are doing the level of exercise that you are. 

Okay - bluntness over .  But it is nice to see that I'm not the only one here who pushes her limits .

I have done my exercises and knees still feel pretty good.  Still crossing my fingers for a 7am run tomorrow - all joints being well.

08/07/2013 at 19:13

Hoorah westie-lovely to see you. Cycling is for retired/resting runners.  How lovely to get out with eldest son for some bonding 

Snaily, no advise to offer regarding the hydration/fuelling but geez woman, dontcha realise that babies are no respectors of civilised wake up times

Woop, Woop, welcome home Ellie  not seen Noggy on your travels have you?

Podds, I reckon a dip in the briney would have been kill or cure 

Oooh, watch out, watch out there's a Humphrey about well, cheesy will be stealing your milk

Well plodded, chuggy. I can't imagine hills as steep as that

Have you gone home yet, Coco?

Sluggy, I've not exactly been shooting the breeze but I kept my cool at work

Nearly time to collect French boy

08/07/2013 at 19:23

oooh that's what I forgot ! To wave at Westie!!

08/07/2013 at 19:35

Sorry yums,  dont think i've seen Noggs!

Podds, take it easy, pushing it too soon will just set you back...

2.5 miles mostly plodded this evening with a little bit of walking thrown in. Am pleased with that for a comeback

08/07/2013 at 19:38

Hmm, some of my post disappeared, i guess this new fangled forum doesnt like pointy brackets. It said...

[tries to follow own advice]

08/07/2013 at 19:43

Waves at Westie

Yes, Yums, I am home now.  I didn't try to do my exercises in the office although I'm sure it would have provided much entertainment for my team.  How is your butt doing?

08/07/2013 at 20:24

Hope Chuggie's enjoying herself in the 1930s - give my regards to Clemenceau and tell him not to put too much trust in the Maginot line!

Trampolining and hula-hooping, FP? You're not meant to be enjoying yourself!

Dottie Dog - 3???? - here have a birthday sock and a glove!

08/07/2013 at 21:14

Ahoy there - I hope this is the new pirate ship I found on Saturday ... technology permitting.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/103883/gallery/hoylake_pirate_ship_sm.jpg?width=350

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 21:15
08/07/2013 at 21:22

Brill ship  Pippi

I was sensible and didn't go swimming - good advice Spence and Coco - it's just that I am never more than mildy off colour for a few days and can't remember the last time I was as "bleugh" as this for as long as this

Went home to walk into the last salvo of bitchiness re the relays - remember the email of the other day - although to be fair I've also had a lot of support and some apologies too

Tomorrow is the last race and I will go to set up the trophies but have already forewarned people that I probably can't stay........I probably could although currently I'm exhausted by about 7pm - but I'm not sure I want to

Sweet dreams all

08/07/2013 at 22:39

Podds, maybe a dip in the sea might have shocked your body into behaving itself!  Nice to hear that a few people have had the grace to apologise.  

Pippi, great pirate ship.  Are you going to wear black and yellow and go and claim it?  A few years ago we were in Devon (Great Torrington) and they had built an authentic half size pirate ship from which they set off a fireworks display and then set fire to the ship.  That was an amazing sight.

Welcome back Ellie.  I'd seen on FB that you now have two mini people.  Congratulations and great to see you are still ready for the running.

Snaily, I use Zero tablets for hydration.  They are zero calories but they have all the salts and stuff you need to keep your body working properly.  There are numerous different flavours.  They have always stood me in good stead when I have been on long rides.

I worked out that the repeats of posts happen when I change devices but don't log out eg from laptop to desktop.  

Nice to hear from you Westie.  Bike ride sounds good.  Is it hot with you?

Walked to work and back today (about 6.5 miles in total) and have aquarunned.

Oh and had a great weekend in Shropshire.  Caravan was in a field virtually on it's own.  Short walk to the river (if we had known we would have taken the canoes).  There was a Take That tribute group on Friday night and an Abba tribute group Saturday night.  FP Jnr got a fast little ride on a jet ski with a total stranger and met Jason Grimshaw from Coronation St on Sunday.

Waves to everyone else  

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 22:43
09/07/2013 at 07:36

Morning 

Love the pirate ship' Pippi. How fantastic 

FP, sounds like you had a fantastic weekend away.  Tribute bands can be cheesy n oodles of fun 

Glad the bitchiness is almost over, Podds. Glad you've had plenty of support-quite right too 

No 2 child affable last night but tired n grumpy this morning.  Tonight's club run I believe is beach repeats. Very tough sesh n in view of my , I'm minded to plod steady in the shade of the woods. 

WAIST well

09/07/2013 at 08:03

Morning

Sound a great weekend FP

I use Zero too

Window measuring day yippeeeeee!

09/07/2013 at 08:43

Zero sounds like good stuff - I've not heard of it before.  Where do you buy it?  Although I think it may be a long while before I'm doing distances where I really have to worry about stuff like that 

I'm feeling very proud of myself because I managed my longest run yet this morning - 2.69 miles in 33 mins at 7/2 run/walk although I must confess to 2 extra mins walking when the long inclines defeated me.  Knees felt a little bit grumbly at points, probably because it was too close to having done exercises last night, but they feel fine now and I won't be doing anything til Friday morning now although I am seeing the fizz tomorrow eve.  Tried to focus on my form whilst running - not leaning forwards - and it did seem to help my hips and lower back.

Ian - did you run or did the duvet get you?

off to roller and shower before working at home today 

Have a good one all. 

09/07/2013 at 09:41

Co-co I was thinking off you this morning - and this morning was very hard to get out of bed!! But some how at 7:10 this morning I started plodding down the street. 

Running was harder this morning as well - so glad to reach the front door lol I'm still in the stage where it's a chore!! ha

How did it go for you?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.