working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

221,721 to 221,740 of 242,997 messages
28/08/2013 at 15:23

G'day each,

~~~~~~~~~~~~DL's Significant Other~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poo?, snot? any more of this and I'll be putting my fingers in my ears and humming loudly.

I went out this morning and did 62 miles over the finest roads Ox and Bux has to offer.  5 good climbs in the first 30 miles then some more sporting roads.  The pace, food and drink were spot on.  I didn't stop for coffee and cake in Winslow, I decided not to stop at all.

Hurrah for Wednesdays

28/08/2013 at 15:24

Bu883r, sorry Spence i forgot.

Happy Birthday I'll go to the pub and have a pint or two on your tab.

28/08/2013 at 16:03

It's quiet in here today!  Is Spence busy? 

I have had a most productive day .  I've amended a book chapter for a colleague and written a new one - jobs which should have been done about two weeks ago but never mind, they're done now.  I really enjoy writing so to me that's a well-spent day.

Tea anyone?  Just about to put the kettle on.

28/08/2013 at 16:49

Happy birthday Spence!!

I'm afraid that I'm with the Dragon when it comes to poo.

Yeo, you can have a hump any day you like. If it's good enough for Spence...

Well run XB + Yumms and well cycled Noggy. Hurrah for painfree knees, here's hoping that Coco's soon join that club.

Does anyone else suspect that Daffy and DL are actually the same person?

~~~ DL's OH ~~~

Have been out for coffee and a sluggie with bff as we missed out on Monday due to the bank hol. Her youngest is due to go off to college at the weekend, followed by the eldest going back to Cambridge in October after more than 2 years off with illness (he had a psychotic episode when he first went up and had to come home).

MS knocked over a glass of wine when we were away and the result was a ruined evening dress for me. I could have got an identical one quite cheaply but saw one today that I reeeeelly like and it was still a snip at £50, so it would have been rude not to...

WAISt well xxx.

28/08/2013 at 17:01

Afternoon All

Happy Birthday Spence - though I too will pass on the poo cake

Coco-Cat wrote (see)

glad the knee is feeling better Yums, you'd better tell me what your secret is!  Mine felt hugely better last week for just relaxing properly.  One day back at work yesterday and it felt stiff and uncomfortable first thing this ..

More like what does it say about your work shoes?  Didn't you say you live in mega high heels??????

~~~~~~~~~~DL's OH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice cycling Noggs - did you see the nastly little 30%er thrown into the middle of yesterday's stage of the Vuelta?  Fair cheered me up to see some of the pro peleton having to get off and walk even if it was more due to being impeded than lack of ability

Good shopping Sluggy

I was going to go up to the kennels this morning to do some dog walking then work from home this arvo but ended up not getting home until about 3pm and then walked my own lads so this is me starting work now!!!

Still it was a nice day to be out and about

28/08/2013 at 17:39

Thank you all for the birthday wishes

Been to Shrewsbury to see my lot Gran Gran seems to be ok, kept falling asleep during lunch but at 102 I guess it's allowed!! Ate too much, shared a bottle of white & feel blessed

Mr Spence had an attack of the hay fevers on the way back, wasn't sure which was safer; me after a sherry & half a bottle of wine or him with his eyes closed!!

~~~~~~~~DL OH~~~~~~~~

well done to runners/bikers etc

well done Tubbs on the 12 mile walk

28/08/2013 at 18:05

Podds, I saw the climb.  It was pure evil, like some of the white roads in the Giro.

I think I'd need an MTB witha 24 tooth chainring to get up any of them.  I can just about do a short 25% on a good day on a road bike.

28/08/2013 at 18:10

I'm impressed Noggs

There is no way on earth I could get up a 25% on any day  a climber I am not!!

28/08/2013 at 18:43

Waves to Nogs - thought about you on our holidays - lots of cyclists enjoying the alpine cols (Petit St Bernard, Cormet du Roseland) ... On our last day we saw a banner saying that a sportive had been through Bourg St Maurice that day. Got to the campsite to find it full of matching small Vango tents, plus a massage tent, bike maintenance, food and drink tents and dozens of MTB cyclist - lots of English. We never found out what it was, despite Google.

Tubs, I love your hats!

We're off to Yorkshire tomorrow to do a gentle bit of the Pennine Way as Mr P is feeling up for it. And we will take it easy and do other stuff if he isn't. At least it shouldn't be thigh deep in snow this time ...

M...eldy    pirate
28/08/2013 at 19:00

Noggs .. did you just have to do 2 more miles than me ?? 

Happy Birthday Spence, not bad for 70

Swim and gym for me today ..... I have booked the GPO in at the v.e.t on Friday for his boosters, it'll be like aweights session, talking of which, anyone want a wager how much the little monster will weigh in at this year??

28/08/2013 at 19:31

Fix the site for me for when I come back. It's very confusing ending up in 2008 every time ...

M...eldy    pirate
28/08/2013 at 19:36

Pippi .. strangely enough, today was the first day I was transported to yesteryear  

28/08/2013 at 20:01

Melds, I'm certain you did your 60 with much more style and panache than I managed.

I wanted to do 100k and that's how it worked out, I padded my basic 80k route and got lucky with the distance.

I could feel my 15 x 1 (and a bit) mile TT's from Monday in my legs though.

It was a glorious day to be out on a bike and, may I remind everyone that, a bad days cycling beats a good day at work anytime

M...eldy    pirate
28/08/2013 at 20:06

I lied about being transported ..... todays Retro Quote (it appears notmuch has changed)

M...eldy wrote (see)
awww Podds wants a photo of me 

I have been to running club and they had a bar and I had a pint of guinness ... I think I may join if thats the order of the day

28/08/2013 at 20:15

Podds - I was in flat loafers yesterday  (but very smart ones that I like a lot )

Meldy - my money is on 6.5 - 7Kg as he looks bigger than Jasper who weighs in at 5.5 and normally gets us told off 

28/08/2013 at 20:20

Mor mrning 

High heels you say, coco? Hubba hubba;-)  I'm sure you've covered this with ur fizz but if not from a complete numpty  viewpoint I'm interested in what Dr Podds has to say 

Glad grangran enjoyed ur butfdee, Spence and you did too 

~~~~~~~~~~OH`~~~~~~~~  what did you two do to have such difficult work lives? 

Fab  cycling there Noggs n m........eldy  but what is this 25% I hear talk ? No mere human could possibly.......

Pippi, I didn't realise you were time travelling with m.......eldy 2008 you say? Could you get me a better divorce settlement please?

Podds, how is DG? Oh and Mr P?(that's Mr Podds not mr Pippi))))

Shoes gotted n two sets of pedals. Can't get the old pedals off though! 

Sluggy, I agree with getting the new dress after all it must have been traumatic having wine spilt on you. Not only was your dress ruined but you have probably been phsycologically affected too;-) 

M...eldy    pirate
28/08/2013 at 20:26

Coco .. do you spend a lot of time at your desk?   If so I would go down the 'fluid nuild up' line and would encorage one of those underdesk exercise jobbies ...
I have some of the shoes that I used to wear and I am increasingly reducing the heel height and concentrating on core and stablilty both seated and standing which only has to do the rest of the body good ... if you are on your feet all day in heels then I would refer you to the previous paragraph and prescribe wedges at a push*

Thats 'wedges' and not 'wedgies' which are totally different but might take your mind off your knee

M...eldy    pirate
28/08/2013 at 20:26

Yums to be fair I think Sluggy was affected a long time before the wine incident 

28/08/2013 at 21:08

Thanks for the input, guys.  My job is a real mix.  I have the occasional day (like yesterday) where I am at my desk all day, but I can also be on my feet for the whole day (6+ hours) delivering training courses and on those days I rarely sit down for more than 5 mins at a stretch. In between those extremes I have a lot of meetings in different buildings which I have to travel to.  I have a mix of shoes for the various occasions - flat ones, mid-height heels, wedges, pumps and just recently have ventured into the kitten heel market .  My "shoe wardrobe" in my office is famous with my colleagues 

I also do a lot of walking and am on and off buses and the tubes several times a day a couple of days of the week as we have sites all over London.  I do tend to walk in trainers and change shoes when I get there and I tend to reserve heels for meetings and times when I'm sitting.

Meldy - the underdesk thing sounds intriguing.  Can you post a link so I can get a better idea of what you mean please?  I am keen to do the best I can for my knees but I do love gorgeous shoes 

28/08/2013 at 21:22
M...eldy wrote (see)

I lied about being transported ..... todays Retro Quote (it appears notmuch has changed)

M...eldy wrote (see)
awww Podds wants a photo of me 

I have been to running club and they had a bar and I had a pint of guinness ... I think I may join if thats the order of the day

I wanted a photo of you???  Why???? 

Mr P is stabilising slowly thanks Yums - his INR had gone from 2.8 to 3 on Thursday but they've kept the meds at the same level and he goes for another blood test tuesday.............he's still very tired if he does stuff but better each day

The DG is still winking rather than blinking.....shall leave it till next week then give the vet a call to see if there's anything else I should be doing....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.