working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

226,161 to 226,180 of 233,763 messages
27/12/2013 at 12:18

goodly afternoon and continued season's greetings

I'm at work - boo! nice and quiet though so getting a bit done. My thoughts are turning to marathon training and new year's resolutions  still got loads of grub to get through first though

27/12/2013 at 13:45

Hi everyone - I too am thinking about the expanding waistline and NY resolutions.  We are now staying in the perfect location for me to start running again - right on the beach front with a safe, flat promenade stretching for miles and marked out in half kilometers for runners.  The only trouble is that I have absolutely no mojo whatsoever. Apparently i have developed "Natal Fever" - a nasty affliction that affects visitors to the Natal region of SA - they react to the heat and humidity and SLOOOOWWWW down to a complete standstill.  My brain has turned to mush, I'm having difficulty deciding what to have for dinner and I can't seem to shift my expanding bum off the chair.

I may never be allowed to return to London. And if I do, I will be one of those annoying people who holds everyone else up by shuffling slowly along the pavement.

27/12/2013 at 14:07

Ah coco,  that's awful although I seem to have the same problem as my backside has become heavy and I'm struggling to move it off the sofa  

No expanding waistline or NY resolutions here. Just some thoughts sealed in the Buddhist centre box

Any chance you can do my maths homework while youre studying, miss pippi? 

27/12/2013 at 14:52

Afternoon all,

It's a quiet one here, Ive had 2 deliveries in all day and only 1 gone out, I've caught up on all my paperwork and am now waiting for suppliers to come back to me with correct delivery dates for outstanding orders, but it looks like most of them are still on holiday. 

27/12/2013 at 14:58

Belated Happy Christmas WAISTers 

Had an 'eventful' drive up to my brother in Milton Keynes on Monday, leaving Roni's eldest in charge of the house. Wet, windy and traffic  what a tiring journey!

Unfortunately when we got there, we got a call saying our power was out ... Now some of you may know I keep Tropical fish from lake Malawi, in two huge tanks , and had not prepared for a power fail this time for some stupid reason. Anyway, I have two large battery backup units which keep the tanks going for 3 or 4 hours, so a power cut isnt usually a problem, until it doesnt come back on that is 

FYI: when power totally fails, the fish can survive fairly well for another 5 or 6 hours with no filtration usually. 

Finding out that most of our area was down sent us into a minor panic, so a chat with RoniS1 set the tank up to survive the longest, but as the hours drifted by we started to think we are going to loose 60+ fish that we have had for many years, many from the lake itself, so it was a kinda sad Xmas eve for us

Anyway, RS1 kept us informed, and even after 12 hours from no tank power, they were still alive! somehow. Very cold and hungry, but alive ... Power came on at 19:00 Christmas Eve, so well over 24 hours, and no losses. They even survived the restart of the biologically dead filters! which can suck all the remaining oxygen out of the water 

Apart from that, we had a great Christmas, good to catch up with family, and got home last night, after a nice journey home. It was odd driving through a few closeby villages still without power, and realise we were very luck to get restored when we did. With no filters going, one fish death would have killed all the rest in a few hours. 

Managed a 6.6 miler Boxing Day along the canal footpath, nice to run on flat ground and not hills for a change.

I have Adam back for NYD so we are having another Xmas then 

Hope you all have great New Year 

27/12/2013 at 15:23

Yums, my maths so far is that if you killed your wife in Liverpool in the 1860s you were 64% likely to be convicted of manslaughter, and only 7% likely to be hanged (poor old Thomas Gallagher - the only case with nobody acting in his defence! - and his wife wasn't to 'blame' for being killed like the others!!!)

27/12/2013 at 15:37

Gosh, Cheesy, that sounds like a close thing with the fish! But how brilliant that they all made it through---and in time for you to enjoy the family Christmas. 

I've been worried about you lot! This second storm seems just as horrible as the first one, and there are still lots of people without electricity. It's a relief to find that no WAISters have had any major disasters, tho Tubs, it sounds as if you're still braced for the worst. Hope the power lines stay put---and do take it easy on your back! xxx

Sympathy to FarFar and Peter and anyone else in the office; although I used to quite like being in between Christmas and NY cos with so few people around you can actually get quite a lot done. Hope you both get home soon, though. 

Coco, Natal Fever sounds like just exactly what you need  After the tough 18 months you've had, slowing down to syrup pace is PERFICK! Enjoy every second 

Well chugged, Amandax! You were a bee-yew-tee-ful dwarf 

Yums, your mandala sounds exquisite--what a lovely prezzie! (Although I am puzzled by the jewel vomiting mongoose) It's so nice when someone gives you something that really fits and means something special to you. Since you asked--we've been going to Madurodam on Boxing Day for the last 6 years, so pretty and relaxing. It was built by the Maduro family in memory of their only son who died in WWII in a German camp. All the profit they make goes to children's charities. 

Nogs, fave is bliddy lucky you're around these days!! Coming back to a flooded house wouldn't suit her, me thinks! And I hope you weren't blown away on your cycle this morning. 

(((((((Westie))))))

Sounds like you and Mrs Westie are really suffering; and not being able to sleep makes it worse. FWIW Mr C and I swear by Contac (you can get it in any chemist)---takes the symptoms down to such a low level that we can sleep, and breathe, and all that. It's the one cold remedy that really works for us. (We bring back as much as poss every time anyone goes to the UK.) Worth a try? 

Spence, good luck to Mr S with the new job! But not sure why the iPad is cutting you short when you post? I haven't had that 

XB, was the computer in purdah over the hols? Anyway, it's good to see you back. When do you start the new job? 

Pippi, hope Mr P's knee is feeling better today; but if not, good if he sees the doc pronto. And maybe writing 'little but often' will actually help? Might give you time to think about things stepwise, as well of course as to enjoy the holidays. 

Dinner last night was fab. C1 suggested we go around the table and everyone say their high and low points of 2013 and their hopes/resolutions for 2014. Great fun, and really interesting. Today is a recovery day: wet and windy (tho nothing like the UK) so it's shopping, cleaning, washing etc etc. C1 leaves tomorrow  but she really wants to come home now so hopefully will find a job and move back in the course of 2014  Going to go do some studying now----that's one of my major resolutions for the new year!!!! xxx

27/12/2013 at 15:56

ah Chuggy - that all sounds fab - I do love to think about hopes and resolutions at this time of year - although mine will probably to make the best of what life throws this year

Cheesy - what an absolute relief, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it would have been to lose them all - love a happy ending

27/12/2013 at 16:05

Afternoon,

((( ))) for poorly peeps, sorely peeps, those who have to work, those who are troubled by the wind and anyone else who needs/wants one.

Cheesy, that was a close call! Glad to hear that the fish all survived.

Tubs, a power line in the field is a jolly good reason for keeping the neddies away! I do hope that things are sorted soon.

Yums, I agree with Chuggy - the pressie sounds lovely but I am perturbed by the puking mongoose! 

Noggy, thank goodness you were able to avert disaster. I wouldn't want even fave to return home to a house that has been flooded.

It has been pretty blowy here, although there seems to be a lull at the moment. I have been and raided Tesco, it was pretty busy but my 'I don't have to do anything' has finally caught up with me. It is our festive day tomorrow so food had to be purchased. SB and gf have looked at the weather forecast and wisely decided to drive down tomorrow morning rather than this evening. I will be on tenterhooks until they arrive though - timekeeping might be my obsession, but it is not one that they share!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxxx

M...eldy    pirate
27/12/2013 at 17:28

Evening all  ... 

I am here and I have read back but I am in the middle of roasting red peppers and cooking tea so I shall be back soon

I see Santa had a creative gene ... but no greyhounds!

27/12/2013 at 17:43

Goodness, cheesy, it was nearly fish n chips all round at your place! Sounds fairly incredible they survived so well done Roni son 1 

Pippi,  sounds interesting research. I'm glad times have changed. Poor Mr pippi if the nurse doesn't like the look of his knee. Fingers crossed it improves.

What a lovely idea to give the money raised from Madurodam to children's charities. Nice to know that you're enjoying yourselves and something good is coming from it too.

Hope SB n SBGF don't take too long to get to you tomorrow, sluggy or you'll be stressed out by the time they eventually arrive

The jewel vomiting mongoose represents the god of wealth Kubera in Hinduism. His Buddhist counterpart is Jambala. Apparently the jewels are stored in the mongoose and when the god of wealth presses it, it regurgitates jewels. Nope, I don't get iyv either!

I have spent the arvo snuggled on the sofa with Prof Brian Cox n some cheese footballs  

27/12/2013 at 18:02

Hi honey, your home  

Santa certainly doesn't have greyhounds as they don't do cold and they'd be fagged out after pulling his sleigh 400 metres. Actually, they wouldn't pull his sleigh!

27/12/2013 at 18:21

Printing off my barcode ... (and Pippette's - yes, she does know! )

M...eldy    pirate
27/12/2013 at 18:33

Aylesbury Parkrun has been cancelled for last few weeks as it is all under water .... I could win it 

M...eldy    pirate
27/12/2013 at 18:42

Right ... what a waste of time trying to roast peppers to go in a recipe tomorrow  !

So, I was up and at 'em crack of sparrows on Christmas Day, fed all the horses and put Murph out in the field so I could actually get him mucked out without his nose in my pocket
Whizzed back home, showered & changed and ripped open a few pairs of socks and then went to get Murph back in again so I could then hightail it over to the land of my father otherwise known as Essex, lovely run in, surprisingly a lot of traffic on the roads probably those who couldnt/wouldnt travel on Christmas Eve!
Arrived about 12.30 to find the Essex contingent all sat round in their pyjamas openning presents .. and the daykind of went from there really, turkey wasnt even in the oven and so we had a bit of a buffet lunch and a lot of booze and by the time the turkey was ready most of us didnt really care!   We did presents inbetween and I opened more socks

Boxing Day was a late affair, quick tidy up, breakfast, gather up my socks and back to do the horses and what have you and then on to friends Sues for the afternoon, buffet and board games ....

Today, I managed to ride my 'oss

27/12/2013 at 18:45

Did you wear your new socks?

M...eldy    pirate
27/12/2013 at 18:47

Fur cough 

27/12/2013 at 20:05

I have greyhound socks which I am wearing  

Which part of Essex, m...eldy? Not the sarf east as that would be too common for a classy bird like you 

27/12/2013 at 20:39

We have finished the last bit of the Christmas pudding, and now have coffee and chocs . I am having a go posting from the iPad so I can see if it does more than a three sentences, I can see what you mean about the pesky predictive text though. Ive deleted a bit for readability!

27/12/2013 at 20:40
Yums wrote (see)

I have greyhound socks which I am wearing  

Do they make you run like one?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.