working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

229,701 to 229,720 of 229,866 messages
20/04/2014 at 08:39

Yums, I made it through Lent with no choccy, sweets or cake and I feel the same as you.  I 'demanded' an Easter Egg after the Tri but a bit scared that I might not be able to stop after that.  Hopefully no-one elses chocolate will be hanging around and I aren't going out to buy more.

Welcome Andrew, work at it slowly and you will get there for sure.  We have nearly all been huffers and puffers and some of us still are.

20/04/2014 at 08:40
Hi Andrew. This is a great thread. Lots of friendly advice and tea

Good luck FP, see you later
20/04/2014 at 08:43

Go plod, noo. I'll keep an eye on the dinner 

Late forties? Huff n puff runner? You'll fit in here rather well  If its advice you need, I wholeheartedly recommend M....eldy who'll probably pop in later. Just do everything she suggests  

You tri ing today, FP? GO GO GO FP. You're fit n well prepared, it will be fun  

20/04/2014 at 08:44

morning all

good luck FP

Andrew - are you doing the Nottingham half? I am too

woke up with a sore head and sore throat so haven't been out on the bike at all

going to spend the day at the in-laws then I have a big chicken waiting to be roasted when I get back. It is the kids' favourite dinner!

Happy Easter everyone

20/04/2014 at 08:47

Happy Easter 

hi Andrew 

Glad NV is better Podds  I don't know whether it's because they are bred to race but Fling is very sensitive and has a low pain thresh hold.  I know if somthing is worrying him because he wobbles his lips. a minor knock to his knee required a veterinary visit. Couple of days off said the vet. Six weeks later Fling was finally sound! Megs on the other hand is very robust.  Literally. I don't know how but she managed to rip her new rug in the stable.  Another one she ripped whilst scratching on the fence and ended up with about a foot of rail inside the lining! 

Megs is very honoured you've psinted your fence to match her DL  Does it have four white socks as well? 

Off to pop horses out then out to judge Pretty Mares, Gorgeous Geldings Nd Cuddly Ponies 

((((( waisters )))))

20/04/2014 at 09:37

oooh, good luck tri-ing  FP!

welcome andrew

today i shall be mostly eating and doing no exercise whatsoever

20/04/2014 at 10:47
Good morning all,

Welcome in Andrew,

Good luck FP.

Cracking day here again, I've been a busy bee, hung the washing out, put a 2nd load on, walked the dog and plodded too, now its time for a sausage sandwich.
20/04/2014 at 10:49

I drank too much wine last night and plodded this morning  Just under the 2 miles prescribed by the physio and my hip feels fine at the moment.  I think I might be giving up the wine though - I don't sleep at all well after drinking even just one glass and it spoils the next day.  I'm figuring that the run this morning would not have felt so hard if I hadn't had half a bottle of red wine last night of course.

[waves to Andrew and Noo]

go go FP 

Hope everyone else is okay.  It looks like I am packing some boxes today for the great office move and helping MrC mend some things that have broken round here - like the toilet and the telephone.  We're having a bit of a time of the reverse-Midas touch at the moment.

20/04/2014 at 11:50

7 miles done

coco I'm the same with booze. Given it up now (one month till chester half)

Daff I like your plan

I fired up the laptop and now I can do this.........again. (I'm such a child)

Thanks for watching the dinner yummy.

shower. Back soon. I'm going to try and post picture of my lab

20/04/2014 at 12:34

Thanks for the welcome all,

yes Mathschick I'm hoping to do something like 2 Hours 45 ish for the half. I did the fun run last year and really enjoyed he atmosphere there, plus being from the Derby area its fairly local too It also gives me an incentive to do some training and push myself a bit.

M...eldy    pirate
20/04/2014 at 12:39
Morning all

Bit knackered - back behind the iron curtain

Sorry Nicki I appear to have drained the coffee pot
20/04/2014 at 12:58

Andrew - that has been my time in the couple of halfs I have done lately so we will probably finish fairly close together! 

20/04/2014 at 13:29

Happy Easter!

FP  pompompom - but it sounds like you've been and gone and had the Easter egg too. How'd it go?

good news about the dog, Podds - we had a similar do with the cat, very lethargic and bleary eyed, the by evening, right as rain, demanding more food.

had a short ride this morning - windy to start then got to the flat, wide, smooth, empty and sheltered bit of the prom and got into top gear, bombing along!  And went home up a hill. Slightly anxious in case it was hard work and I had to unclip, but thought back to childhood whenI did it regularly on the way back from friends house on a bike with either no gears or 3 at most. Actually, it wasn't even an effort - good gearing, not my super fit legs...

spence is in Liverpool?? 

Off to try peanut butter on hot x buns ....

20/04/2014 at 13:30

well that's easily fixed Meldy, 

Dinner is on. I LOVE Easter, much more than Christmas. I'm not religious but what makes it for me is the time of year. I adore lambs and ducklings and chicks (we don't have chickens anymore-at the mo) and freshly cut grass, light mornings and nights, warmer days. All so uplifting. And I really enjoy cooking a great big dinner with pudding, setting the children's Easter egg hunt. (That will be interesting this year, our new garden is about 4 times bigger than the old one. We moved end last summer, then got the dog) The whole build up really. And of course the Chocolate I did enjoy listening to the church bells this morning and I would go to church, I like the idea of the community all getting together but I'm not actually sure I believe in God so there lies a problem.

I'm babbling on. Best check the spuds

20/04/2014 at 13:32

waves to pippi

20/04/2014 at 13:52

hello all, thought id join in here as my absolute best for the mile is about 10 mins reducing to 11 mins over longer distance. furthest I've done is 10 miles in just over 2 hours (this was while on a break from work during nights so was pleased with that )

anyhow any tips would be great. i want to build on upping speed and distance. my main hobby is hill walking so being able to walk up em without sore calfs after would be fab too. I'm in cambridge if any locals about on here

20/04/2014 at 14:02

Afternoon All

Welcome Andrew from last night and lobbit from this morning - norty Yums though telling them to obey Meldy............. 

Good luck tri-ing FP and judging Tubbs

Lobbit - nobody really your way although a few lurking in surrounding counties....I would suggest to start with focusing on either speed or distance - it is very difficult to work on both.  Decide which is currently more important to you. Re sore calfs from walking up hill - hill repeats would probably help with those but do with care as if done properly it is an intensive session which requires a good warm up and cool down with stretching to avoid over tight calfs!

Having mucked up the dogs' food yesterday to account for the NV I was awoken at 4am by Sharkey's stomach gurgling so loudly it woke us both up and sounded like a particularly noisy bath emptying.......bless him he was too hungry to go back to sleep...........so we all had dog biscuits at 4am and then went back to sleep until 9am which was fab.......but meant yet another missed bike ride 

And this arvo is slated for work purposes whilst watching the Amstel Gold Race on the goggle box

Laters peeps

20/04/2014 at 14:44

Hello 

*waves* to newbies

Well done FP & Noo

We had a 1.5 hour walk along Woolacombe beach this morning, that sorted DD out!!She was going mental when we go there, racing up & down the dunes, running into the sea etc,etc on the way back she just trotted along side!! The boys then did an extra walk up a hill close to the cottage & Daught & I met them in the pub

I haven't run! And I have a half on Sunday!!! Oops! 

20/04/2014 at 14:47

Nicky - as I work in academia, I automatically assume that when someone is posting a pic of their lab it is white-coat and test-tube related.  I had to read your post twice before realising you probably mean a dog! 

Welcome to lobbit and Andrew - you'll find a room full of nutters and lots of tea and coffee here.  But the good news is that we don't bite   Most of us can't run fast either but that's another story....

We have just been to Car Giant to look at new(er) cars as I'll be driving to work on a daily basis with the new job (for the first time in 11 years ).  We didn't buy anything but it has started the conversation about what we want and what we can afford.  Unsurprisingly there is a chasm between the two!

And I am off to pack boxes of stuff from my home-office that can go into my new office.  What an exciting life at the moment!

20/04/2014 at 15:42

coco - I was also thinking of a science lab!! didn't think about a dog until you mentioned it 

ooh new car - exciting

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.