working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

231,441 to 231,460 of 235,769 messages
09/06/2014 at 08:23

2) Stretch

Spence is right here - you will pay later if you don't stretch properly now and regularly but this is hard to do until you've eased the muscles up with the foam roller first.  The Murphy/Connors book gives a load of great stretches that you should do every time you run, and preferably a couple of times a week in addition.

I also find this leaflet really useful - http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/media/assest/U&R-%20Stretch%20Leaflet_1.pdf

3) Strengthening

So after the release and stretching, the next thing is to strengthen the weak area.  This is really where an expert opinion would be helpful so that you know WHAT to strengthen specifically.  I have the following exercises which I do twice a week for strengthening hips and core and activating the glutes:

Squats - start with a two-legged squat.  Correct posture is to fold at the hip first and then squat down.  Knees should never be over the toes.  Progress to doing these one-legged but watch posture in the mirrors it's easy to get other parts of the body to compensate for poor hip stability.  (Running is essentially a series of one-legged squats done fast so it's a bit worrying that so many runners have problems with these exercises)

Lunges - again knees should never be over the toes

Bridges

Side planks

Step-ups with a weight (up to 5Kg)

Single leg dead lifts with a weight

You should be able to find most of these in the Murphy/Connors book or a quick google should help.

Also useful is this: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com

Snaily posted a link on FB a few days ago that takes you to a 30 day challenge that this guy is doing for free and he focuses a lot on hip strength, flexibility and stability so you could do a lot worse than to start there.

I really hope this is helpful.  As a "health warning" I would also say that if you don't know what the exact problem is then you risk possibly aggravating it with some of these exercises so proceed with caution.

I also got a copy of this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Runners-Jay-Dicharry-ebook/dp/B00AN5RZCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402298531&sr=8-1&keywords=anatomy+for+runners which I've found helpful.

09/06/2014 at 10:42

Morning all. Building up to a hot one here (was already 25 C at 10 am) and some big thunderstorms are forecast. Mr C is out desperately mowing the grass while it's dry 

FMR, don't worry about the park run. Sometimes you go faster than others, and the heat won't have helped. One question: you did 1 minute intervals on Saturday, then tried to move up tot 2 min intervals on Sunday? If you're just starting out, doubling your effort is a pretty big step. and it's usually advised to have a rest day between your runs, at least at first. So the park run may partly have been a sign to take things a little slower on all fronts. In other words: WAISt! 

Sue, Yums is right. We need photos of you and HWMBT please 

Yums, I saw about that runner. How very sad. As you say, every day is a gift to be thankful for. xxxx

Larry, Coco has given a far more compendious reply than I could. Two thoughts. One: I know stretching is the received wisdom, but my understanding (Sluggie can correct me?) is that there is in fact no scientific basis to the idea that stretching before exercise helps in any way; and there IS evidence that stretching a cold muscle can damage it. So if you want to stretch, do it at the end of your session.

Two: for lower leg my fizz advised squats (done as Coco describes) and also two other exercises. First, a dip: stand sideways on a stair on one foot (say, the left) with the other foot (the right) hanging off the step. Now bend your left knee and lower yourself until your right foot has gone down by 4 inches or so, and then straighten the left knee. It is important to a) keep your pelvis level, i.e. don't let it sink to the right b) stay upright---don't bend at the waist and c) don't let your left knee turn inward as you bend it. Do this ten times on each side, twice a day. The other exercise, which is to stretch and strengthen the muscles on both sides of the lower leg and foot, is to stand on a step facing the stairs, with the balls of your feet on the edge of the step and your heels hanging off it. Relax the back of your calves and let your heels sink down below the level of the step, then raise up on your toes. Do ten of these sink-and-lift movements, four times a day. Hope they help!

Spence, is your kitty home yet? If not, then you may want to start asking around as it is quite possible she has got into a garage or somewhere. You could also put up fliers in the neighbourhood, since someone may have seen her.  Hope she shows up soon, it is worrying even though the chances are very high that she's fine. xxx Oh, and you have made a splendid case for going to the fizzy. You need to do that now. Let us know the results, please. 

********Snaily*******

Hope you get the work problem sorted! You did some fine chugging at the weekend, so that should give you added fortitude.xxx

MC, nobly cycled, especially in this heat!

Sluggie, what a beautiful garden. A real oasis of beauty. Are you in the chair most of the time when you go out now? Must be so annoying. And well done on your quzzifying---you is well clever to win even without your usual team mates 

Pippi....

Pippi LS wrote (see)

I had a lie in, read a lot, went to church, made a strawberry cheescake, checked I had some lessons planned for next week, read some Victorian newspapers, made cajun chicken for tea, ate said chicken and cheesecake - not together- tidied up the kitchen 

If that's your idea of 'doing nothing' you can get out o

09/06/2014 at 11:05

Morning all

(((((Spence leg)))))))) I do hope your kitty comes back soon. Dan and Holly both lost their cats recently. Both times a neighbour found them. One in a garage and one in a garden, to scared to venture back out again. Each time within 4 houses of them. Our Douglas doesn't come in in this weather, prefering to be outside and its a worry when he catches enough food so doesn't come home to eat but we have a sigh of relief when he does turn up again and is pleased to see us again for a while.

Coco and Chuggy - thanks for the info about the exercises and stretches. I will definitely have a look into those books and start doing more of a routine.A couple of the exercises I am doing already but have only tended to do them regularly when I am getting pain or discomfort. When I have some extra cash I will visit a physio but these hopefully will help until then. 

Don't know what's happened to the weather here today. Very overcast although still warm. Mr L is also cutting grass, Chuggy. Its a race, I think, for him to get it all done before the rain comes.

Time for Ozdog wak.

09/06/2014 at 11:25

morning all

woooohooo for Scott!!

I do hope your pussy turns up Spence. I had a cat who got herself shut in an empty house and someone was feeding her - she'd been missing for months!

I did Aldridge 10k on sunday - 53:31 on my watch - pretty chuffed with that./ the last mile is descibed as "a sting in the tail" its an uphill slog and always costs me a minute so I am pleased - it was hot too!

I have a serious Monday feeling today, 1 week at work then 2 weeks off but I have so much to cram into a week!

09/06/2014 at 11:25

I fogot to say - A fantastic Well done to Scott. What a star

09/06/2014 at 14:05

Afternoon,

Woohoo, well done Scott!! 

(((Spence))) yep, you have justified time off for fizzy-ow. Have you phoned local vets to see if anyone has found your cat? You could try contacting your local cats' protection people, they should have details of local vets and other helpful ideas. Do your cats use littertrays indoors? If so, you could try spreading some used litter in the garden to try and encourage puss back. If not, a well worn piece of clothing from her best-loved person might do the same job. 

Snaily, I slept badly last night too, am feeling very  now but did manage a double aquagym session.

Chuggy, as far as I am aware, you are correct in that there is evidence that cold stretching does more harm than good.

Have to take MS for an eye clinic appt this arvo. Nothing serious, just something that crops up every time he has an eye test so optician wants it officially checked out once and for all. They will probably want to dilate his pupils, so he shouldn't drive himself home.

Still warm and dry here 

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

09/06/2014 at 14:09

Paul , Scott is running support for last 30 miles of sdw100 . GF number 343

Sharon law.

09/06/2014 at 14:18

Wow Westie, great going from Scott. Must have been brilliant to watch! 

Wow Wee Far Far, well done, on what was a very hot day

Kitty still not back A friend suggested emptying the contents of the vac bag down the garden....smells of home! I will do the cat litter thing too. Will be going round the neighbours this eve.

09/06/2014 at 14:27

Hope she comes home soon Spence.

I have done all the exercises and stretches as advised. I have most trouble doing the lunges. My legs/ knees wobble inwards so I did them looking into a mirror and its really hard to keep them straight. I have never rollered before exercising before. Usually do it afterward. The legs feel well knackered now! Thanks again.

Sun shining at last so its a bit of lunch then into the garden for a while. Oooh, I do love summer.

Well done Jff - terrific time and especially uphill at the end in the heat.

No news of Her Meldyship?

09/06/2014 at 14:48

Agree with Chuggy and Sluggy re cold stretching, btw.  Muscles should always be warmed up prior to stretching or you could tear something.

My physio also gets me to do the sideways dip on a step - very similar to a one-legged squat.

Having a real monday at work today   Didn't sleep at all well last night, in common with a lot of other people it seems.  Coco decided to play noisily in the garden til about midnight  and probably kept the entire neighbourhood awake   I finally got off to sleep around 2pm and was up at 6am.  Not impressed!

09/06/2014 at 14:48

Afternoon all

Hope the cat returns soon Spence, My sisters cat disappeared for a fortnight and then just wandered back in one day - no idea where it'd been

Well done to all those running in the heat over the weekend

tis raining lots here again, watching it on the river - love days like this!!

Been to Hospital this morning, saw a different doc. XRays to me don't look any different and he just said that the bone shape wouldn't alter much and I would get arthritis in the joint but hopefully this work will stave it off for some more years to come, he has referred me to physio, advised me to wear shoes with a harder surface rather than trainers and told me to get wiggling my toes and exercising it! 2 more weeks off work, I should be able to drive by then and will speak to work about returning to work in an office somewhere until I am fit for the wards again - there is always plenty of paperwork to do!!

Lil Flib turns 17 tomorrow so we are looking into driving instructors today so this is a warning to anyone in the area to stay away from the roads for a while!!!

09/06/2014 at 15:05

this is some photo' s of marathon don't try to look at them all but about 3/4 down this page is the a series of finish run in pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22960608@N06/sets/72157645089012045/page4/

09/06/2014 at 15:34

Thanks John, I'll keep an eye out at the two CP's we are working on! We may well, be stopping off at Alfriston on the way back too, just to catch some of the front runners, but that depends how tired we are as its a very early start for us.

09/06/2014 at 18:48

Just looking in to ask for some vibes, please. Tante Kit, Mr C's aunt, who is sort of like an extra gran for our kids, had a major stroke yesterday in the brain stem. She is in hospital, drifting in and out of consciousness. Too soon to have any idea what the outcome will be---she's 87, so if she should cross over gently it would not be sad at all---we just hope she doesn't have a long period of pain and disability. WAISter vibes would be appreciate, as much for Mr C as for Tante Kit. He has always looked after her, in addition to his own mum, and this is tough for him. xx

09/06/2014 at 19:00

((((((Chuggy family and Tante Kit)))))))

Sending you all manner of vibes, hugs and thoughts

09/06/2014 at 19:41

Oh goodness me ~~~~~~~~~~~Tante Kit and Chuggs~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ heard you talk about her so much over the years it's almost like I know her Like you say, hope there isn't a long period of pain xxx

09/06/2014 at 19:54

(((((Tante Kit, Mr C n family chuggles))))

Thinking of you all and wishing Tante Kit peace

X

09/06/2014 at 20:13

Ditto Daffs' and Yums' sentiments Chuggy

09/06/2014 at 20:16

((((((((((Chuggies and Tante Kit))))))))))))

As Daffy said, she feels like part of the Waister family.

09/06/2014 at 20:23

(((((((((((tante kit and chugs family)))))))))))

westie - that race sounds so exciting, massive well done to scott

spence - hope the missing cat turns up

like many others I had trouble sleeping last night, so tired and grumpy today, took a rest day from training. First GCSE maths paper today and one of my girls came to find me after in tears because she had done all the working out in pencil. I have no idea why but I think it will get marked anyway and she will be ok. Gave her a little hug - I have taught her for 4 years and am a little attached to her after 4 years of ups and downs

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.