working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

231,441 to 231,460 of 240,026 messages
17/06/2014 at 18:10
Evening all

A fitting farewell for Tante Kit. Hope you can now look forward.

Snaily - it will hurt, it will be hot and you'll wonder why you ever agreed to it. These thoughts should kick in approximately 6.5 minutes into the race and last until Spence convinces you that you should enter something else. The feeling of peace will last approximately 30 seconds and then the creeping doubt will begin again.

Nearly came home to 3 children tonight. It seems Jesus might have saved us. Religious family felt we may not offer their children the best role models.

Happy Tuesday
17/06/2014 at 18:12

Everyone is still breathing......for the moment!

Enjoy your plod coco

Chuggy - I have to stay the funeral sounds like something I would want.  Really personal.  well done on the chug.  hope you enjoyed the Latin too

Freezing offices...oh I wish.  Our office has huuuuuuuuge windows all around (think similar to a greenhouse) with a flat roof so it is feckin boiling.  Even today when it was cooler we were all melting.  Supposed to be getting air-con, but not sure what year!

Mrs Westie is a babe, and very fashionable, its all back in!!!  I'd wear that

Dear lord, I've only got a bloody blister, wore some summer shoes ive not had on for a while and have a big huge blister on the arch of my foot.  Very annoying

Kitchen is very close to being finished, just the flooring to fit which will be done this weekend.  phew

17/06/2014 at 18:29

Snaily - you need Compeed!   The ONLY solution for a blister that actually works, takes the pressure off it and lets you get on with life.

DL - love it.  I think it's a bit like how people are about giving birth - if you speak to them immediately after, they say "never again".  Give them half an hour and a pint of beer (marathoners, not new mothers obviously) they're looking on their smartphone for the next race.

17/06/2014 at 19:24
Lol DL both on the race and religious parent front!

I'm supposed to be working, but I'm bored
17/06/2014 at 19:31

I am still waiting for MrC to get home from work so we can run 

17/06/2014 at 19:46

Snigger at DL not being a good role model! How could you not be? I've met you!

17/06/2014 at 20:14

Lol DL !! Brilliant on both fronts

Well someone has got a shiny "one stone" certificate.

A "Club 10" certificate

And having lost 15 and a half pound is half a pound from target 

17/06/2014 at 20:15

evening all

chugs - sounds like a lovely send off for Tante kit

snaily - you will be fine, 5 runs of 10 and 11 miles is plenty of long runs

I love tigers but I wouldn't want to be too close, I don't think I would trust one..

M...eldy    pirate
17/06/2014 at 20:49

I don't have a choice MC !!

curtains hung (they deserved it) and bed made up in the spare room ..... I appear to have a new lodger, at least short term, she has two cats and is on a contract at the hospital for a few months and lives in mummy Podds land. 

Off up to see the FGO in the morning and then back for a long late shift

the GPO is booked in to a cattery when I go to Nice however I am now contemplating getting someone in to feed him as there are a few companies locally who will do this, I am of the mind that cattery will mean he will have to come back and settle in all over again whereas even a stranger coming in to feed him will mean that he is still in a safe environment??  What say the panel??  Cattery is more secure .....

DL, Jesus saves.

17/06/2014 at 21:36

Goodness Meldy, your lodger hasn't brought 2 cats with her has she?! Poor GPO! (or poor them, I imagine..)

Excellent work spence!

And snaily you'll be fine! But I agree with DL about regretting it from 6.5 minutes into the race

Speaking of which, probably a lucky escape there DL!!

Glum and out of sorts today. Curled up with hot water bottle wishing I hadn't inhaled all 3 chocolate bars at the station earlier...

17/06/2014 at 21:46

remind me again WHY I'm doing this half!!!!

Meldy I'm all for getting someone in to see to the cat.  Even our cattery lady says there is nothing better than them staying in their own home and a cattery should only be used if necessary.   its only OH that makes me take harry to the cattery, for some reason he thinks its better.  And I suppose they are more secure, but I think home is best.

I'm still working, readying the DBS policy, oh so dull.

17/06/2014 at 21:52

Cat-sitter definitely.  I used to put my two in a cattery until I realised it was only for my benefit and not theirs.  They are much better off staying in their own home and not having to re-fight boundaries etc.  You just need someone you can really trust who doesn't mind you texting to check they're okay.  Our cat sitter liaises with our neighbours if there's anything amiss so double peace of mind for me.

17/06/2014 at 21:55

We did our 2 miles and I'm now feeling so proud as it is feeling really comfortable and nothing is hurting!!  Also, when stretching my quad, I finally managed to get my left foot all the way to my bum - my poor left knee is finally bending properly again - 22 months after the accident.  

I know it sounds like nothing compared to half-marathons, ironmans and amazing cycle rides, but I couldn't be prouder or happier of my 2 miles right now 

17/06/2014 at 22:55

woohoo coco, well done, we all have individual targets and you just hit yours

Nice and slow now, don't go pushing things too much.

that's exactly what MrS is like, he puts Harry in the cattery, but he doest eat for 2 days,  he would be much better at home and our neighbours are more than happy to keep an eye on him, in fact he goes in their house anyway.  So annoying.

Had lots of compliments this week about how trim I'm looking, not lost any weight mind, if I could just get my eating under control I would give Cheryl Cole a run for her money!!!  However I do like to eat!!!

Doing well on my footy sweep so far, its made the WC more interesting!!!

18/06/2014 at 07:24

I love to eat too's just about eating the right stuff!!

Im eating loads and I mean loads folks at work can't get over how big my lunch is on a Friday!! The thing is I'm not missing the carp. I'm allowing myself the odd treat, & that is doing the trick.  I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel

18/06/2014 at 07:47
I know spence. Friend at work is starting SW on Tuesday, I've said I'll do it with her to encourage her at work.

Davina'd now off to work. Happy hump day!
18/06/2014 at 07:56

Happy hump day indeed!  The weekend is not that far away, folks.

Snaily - I suspect that between SW and all the exercise you've been doing, you probably have lost loads of fat and slimmed down greatly.  The problem is that muscle weighs more than fat and so the scales won't necessarily reflect it, which can be disheartening.  Have you gone down clothes sizes?  It's probably a more reliable indicator given how much running you're doing.

We'll probably increase to 2.5 miles in a week or so, and then when that distance feels comfortable, we'll go up to 3.  I really do have to take the increase slowly or will injure myself but for the first time my body feels strong and capable now instead of injured!  

Orifice today.  Yoga tonight.

Hope it's a good one for you all.

18/06/2014 at 07:59

morning all

coffee on.

18/06/2014 at 08:18

can someone sit by the door and wait for my parcel please?

18/06/2014 at 08:27

(Holds out cup for coffee) Yes please, Westie! 

Snaily, Coco's right. How you look and feel, and how your clothes fit, is more important than an abstract number. And since everyone is telling you how slim you look, and you're fitness has come on so superbly, I reckon you're doing great! 

And speaking of Coco----WOOOHOOO!!! As Snaily put it so well, we all have personal targets and you've hit yours!  It took a lot of grit and courage at times, so you should be very proud of yourself. And now you can indeed look forward to 3 miles as your next marker  I bet your dad is proud of you too! (He sounds like a marvellous chap too, I must say.)

Re cats: we've done it both ways, i.e. leaving them at home or leaving them in a cattery. I think it depends partly on where they are and how settled they are. If they are in a new place and you aren't sure they know it's home (like when we had the cats in France), then maybe a cattery. Once they are firmly grounded (and if I know the GPO, as long as he's been fed in one place for a week, he'll know it's home , if you have some reliable who will come in and make a fuss of them once a day as well as feed them, then home is nicer for them. At least that's our experience. But if you have a lodger, Melds, couldn't s/he feed the GPO? 

Daffs, that was a FAB outfit!!!! Sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit curled-up-around-a-hot-water-bottle, though---hope that by this morning that's all over with and you're feeling Daffy again! xxx

DL, loved your description of the race mentality  As for the stupid couple who didn't think you would set the right tone for their children---don't blame Jesus, he would be totally fine with it. I'm just sorry for the kids who missed out a chance to spend time with a couple of really good people. 

About to take C3 to the train station for a meeting in Amsterdam with his thesis supervisor. Did I tell you he's got a 4 month internship with the Legal Dept of the European Patent Office from September? Uber pleased with that! Next Thursday C2 has an interview for an internship with what sounds like a really good psychology place (big institution has opened special section to give psych support to expats) and we are really hoping he gets it. An internship is required for higher qualification, but with all the govt cuts there are nowhere near enough of them for all the students. Fingers crossed. 

Beyond that a day of paperwork, I think. What joy. WAISt well, all. xxx

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.