working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

242,341 to 242,360 of 242,545 messages
04/08/2016 at 21:53

I wish I knew how to get rid off all the cr*p on FB though

Maybe it's just me but because someone I know is tagged in something I get endless feeds of new babies and the such like belonging to people I don't know!!!!!

And I mostly use FB for work and charity purposes to be honest

I haven't got may friends!!!

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
05/08/2016 at 06:25

Morning

I, like Daffs, spend far too much time on t’internet, I also find myself on Facebook trawling through stuff that has no interest for me at all. I do like the fact I can keep up with friends and family through there though.

Podds, when you see a post you no longer want information on, up in the right corner there’s a little down arrow, click on it and a box opens with several options, you can click on ‘Turn off notifications’ and voila! no more news on that thread popping up!

05/08/2016 at 08:55

Thank you all for the info. I did think 5 days a week was a bit tough...will swap a few of the shorter runs out with the exercise bike. I horse ride on a daily basis too which keeps me pretty fit but I have found it doesn't get you running fit unfortunately!

So 3/4 runs a week should be sufficient? Don't get me started on swimming, I am far too easily swayed and have already considered a tri - I am brilliant at trying to run before I can walk!

05/08/2016 at 13:09

Meldy...............oh Meldy..............look what we've got..........   

05/08/2016 at 14:18

Oh dear!!! The only thoughts I have that are stopping me from attempting are (clearly more than considered this): the organisation on the day/fear of getting lost or doing something wrong (setting up transitions?!), practising on the bike - I only have a mountain bike and a fear of practising on the roads in case I get to a hill I can't get up! and generally being last!

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
05/08/2016 at 14:26

BecksF Meldy is your man here  - some of us have done Tri’s and the same thoughts/fears have been a feature. 

Most of the small Tri’s are extremely helpful and give clear instructions, the course is clearly marked with marshals in attendance. There are some beginner Tri threads around I believe that will answer any questions you have.

As for the being last, you won’t know until you see the results because of the way it’s all set up.

Meldy - did I do good ?

05/08/2016 at 14:48

morning all

oh dear Becks you fell straight into that trap! seriously though a few of us did a baby tri some years ago and it was great fun. off the agenda for me though I can't even think about getting on a bike

my running club was fab yesterday -  the Thursday session is intervals so great for me cos I just plod along otherwise. it was pyramid type thing for 5k - took me 27 mins in total so that's pretty good I thought  

M...eldy    pirate
05/08/2016 at 17:17
Well done Dragon
05/08/2016 at 18:07

Afternoon,

Becks, if you fancy a tri then give it a go. If nothing else, it will help you to not get bored with running!

Glad you have a good club session farty-pants.

I had a very good aquagym session this afternoon - in the tea rooms 

I wouldn't say that Alf and Sky are 'getting on' as meetings so far have been very short and supervised. But it's a good start, if nothing else.

Hope you all have good weekends.

05/08/2016 at 20:56
Ha Becks, bet you'd love a tri - I enjoy them more than straight running now you have to treat transitions as the 4th discipline, and 'organisation and admin' as the 5th - my most recent tri gave us an entire sheet of stickers to slap on various body parts and equipment

Training is much more fun than just running too

Gosh, I'm almost talkig myself into another one
05/08/2016 at 20:59
Also, I've been last in most of the races I've ever done - who cares? At least with a tri they start you one at a time into the pool, and they start the slower people first (sounds mad but works fine!) So even if you take the longest, there are still people starting the swim while you're finishing so nobody knows you're last anyway

So, any more excuses?
05/08/2016 at 21:01
Right - that's the plan for next year then! Loads of time to train on the bike and swimming. Thanks all, I'm sure I will be back to ask more tri related questions.

3 more off road miles tonight, feeling much more positive and the only walk break I took was in the last quarter mile up a steep hill. Definitely all in my head. Going to join the local running club too to keep me motivated.
05/08/2016 at 21:02
Haha thank you Daffs!! Almost tempted to enter a 'taster' one in September...but that may be a little soon!
05/08/2016 at 21:03

becks - daffs has already mentioned what I love about pool sprint tris, you can be home with a cup of tea before other people have started if you are a slow swimmer (or like me you can hang around and chat to people and watch people finish) - they are great fun

05/08/2016 at 21:39
There's a taster tri in September - 200m swim, 5.3km bike, 2.5km run. Seriously considering it - is that mental? Bike course and run course is dead flat, swim is in a rowing lake so the only thing that's stopping me is the lack of wetsuit... Someone talk sense into me please...!!!
05/08/2016 at 21:51

Gwan Becks, you know you want to! 

Meldy, do you happen to have done any moonlighting for a MacMillan ad??

06/08/2016 at 01:28
Not going to catch anyone in here talking you out of a tri becks, sorry...
06/08/2016 at 15:04

Morning All - bike with the club for the 1st time in ages this morning with a coffee and cake stop at Morelli's

Mr P is doing publicity with DFDS Ferries today with regard to how cycle friendly they are I declined as I do not like being filmed / photographed at the best of times and certainly not right now 

06/08/2016 at 16:49
Some serious considering happening!! May or may not be picking up a road bike tomorrow...!

7.25 hilly miles this morning, training plan said 8 but I'm counting the hills as making up 0.75 of a mile.
06/08/2016 at 19:38

becks - you may as well just enter

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.