working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

242,341 to 242,360 of 242,987 messages
11/08/2016 at 08:18
That walk sounds scary MC!

Well run Becks good to be able to bail if you don't feel up to it (as long as it's not *every* run!) Good to listen to your body.

Congratulations on your high achievements DL I don't even bother making goals like that any more

Don-t envy you carrying piddle through a class of 16 year olds Poddles i too like taking part in other people's research (and it's good for me to be on the other side occasionally - although thankfully my own research mostly involves 'a nice chat' rather than rectal temperature taking!)

Thank you for indulging my fitness questions most interesting I think people do judge themselves and others relative to those they know, so couch potato types will always tell you you're super fit cos you walk to work every day (cos they can't ever imagine doing that, let alone more), whereas if you hang round with peole doing ironman, walking to work seems a bit tame.

I suppose the answer is to stop comparing yourself to others and find a level you're personally happy with - but given most of us are human, comparisons are probably inevitable!

Giving up the decorating today and running away for the weekend. Hooray! (NB: running away will not actually involve any running)
11/08/2016 at 09:59

Goodly morning one and all

Daffers - you inspired me yesterday - I walked home from the station rather than getting a taxi. I came over all righteous and smug and maybe a bit fitter for it!

M.eldy is part of a medical experiment - it doesn't surprise me. And Podds was the prototype? Maybe we should all be afraid!!??

It's raining - this helped in my decision not to run this morning. However, on a positive not I haven't had any alcohol yet - you win some, you lose some.

Happy Thursday, hope it's a happy one

11/08/2016 at 11:14

Philosophy from Dr Daffs and alcoholic meditations on scientific experimentation from DL...........

I do so love the eclectic topics which waft through the lounge

It is raining here too........we got wet on our morning dog walk which hasn't happened for a very long time.........

Now in work having had to download some early exam results and the Head has been in to collect them and the Head of English had to have them emailed to her as she "can't wait until next week when she can get in" - in other words is still on holiday...........and has the cheek to ask me to email them to her from cold wet grey Kent!!!!! 

Realised that if I continue my normal pattern of working for the next 2 weeks there won't be enough time to get everything done........what a shame........

11/08/2016 at 14:11
Still plugging away at the C25K and completed W5 D2 last night.

My next one will be the 20 minute non stop run and I'm looking forward to that one.

Still running around the 9/10 minute mile mark and that does seem to be my comfortable pace. 

On Holiday tomorrow for the next couple of weeks so check ins may be sporadic but my running shoes are coming with me
11/08/2016 at 14:39

Good going Blisterz - it's so important that it remains something you want to do rather than a chore...........speaking from experience..... 

Right - off home now - going to work from home mind but need a break!!

Have had the laptop in work to catch up on Olympics while working on faster desktop computer Rather a good system if I do say so myself

11/08/2016 at 15:54

You're quicker than me Blisterz, keep going!

Podds that's a stoke of genius - thankfully we have TVs in the office so I've nabbed one for the Olympics....

I may or may not be considering a duathalon on Sunday - 2.5k run, 5k bike (flat tarmac), 2.5k run. No idea if I can bike 5k, nor do I have any clue if I can run from the bike. Can't decide if its a good idea and worth a laugh even if I do come last, or whether it's a waste of time. Please vote now

11/08/2016 at 16:08

Go for it  

11/08/2016 at 16:14

becks F - just get on and do the duathlon. it will be fun.

Good to hear SM is responding to the anti bs, sluggy.  And good t hear about Alfie and Sky. I suppose it takes far longer than we imagine for rehomed pets to feel secure with their new forever home. 

Daffy, you probably are quite fit - at least to look at  If I compare myself to my colleagues and other friends I am fit. If I compare myself to run club members, I'm not!

You doing something special this weekend, M........eldy ?

Guess you're pretty busy with results at the moment, Podds -A and AS and GCSEs later? How are the boys ?

Becks -your speed might increase if you ran less   Although by that reckoning DL would be up there with Usain Bolt 

I am on leave. To celebrate I cleaned the kitchen top to bottom. Dear goodness is all I can say. I need a lie down.

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
11/08/2016 at 16:15

Just do it - as they say 

11/08/2016 at 18:36

BecksF, just do it, there's nowt wrong with being last, you will still do better than all the lardasses sat on their sofas (of whom I am now one  !

Nice to see you Yums. As a general rule, I don't hold with kitchen cleaning. I do hope you are not too kanackered after your session!

The research sounds interesting Melds - but not the fasting! There is a woman soooo like you in the MacMillan ad, are you sure you haven't been moonlighting??

Good thinking re watching the Lympix Podds! How are the two boys doing without their mate?

Had a good afternoon with TM. We went to the riverside pub but didn't see any wildlife of note. The cygnets are growing nicely though and make me .

Conversation with SM yesterday was rather bizarre! One  went Me "I have popped in to check whether you have taken your tablets" Mum "Yes"  "Yes what?"  "Yes I haven't taken them" !  

WAIST well xxx

11/08/2016 at 21:53

Evening All

Oh dear Sluggie - SM does sound a tad confused

The remaining 2 seem fine Sluggy.  

The NV didn't even seem to notice but then he lives his whole life in a little bubble on his own little planet......and so long as his settee is available to him he's quite happy

The DG is settled now - not sure he missed him as such but he wouldn't get on the settee where Sharkey shuffled off for about a week and he still goes to check his food bowl at the end of dinner to see if there's anything in it (I can't bring myself to put it away just yet )

11/08/2016 at 23:15

back home and looking forward to sleeping in my own bed for a change .

will have a read back (well a little ) tomorrow.

play nice

12/08/2016 at 10:55
Thanks all. Yums I've cut back now so we will see

12/08/2016 at 13:26

August continues on its upwards trajectory. I didn't run this morning due to the hangover I incurred - well it was steak night last night which includes wine in the deal.

Helloooo Westie - nice trip??

A day off spent cleaning a kitchen Yums - deep joy! I know Buddhists are supposed to accept suffering as a natural part of the human condition but you can take things too far!

Sun is shining again - hoorah

Happy nearly the weekend

12/08/2016 at 19:24

one of the gerbils has died we had to tell youngest (they are his gerbils), because the in laws wanted to know whether to bury it or freeze it for us to bury. He wants to bury it in our garden but is very upset

we have been up to the highest bit of Mont Blanc that you can get up without having to do any climbing - very high and the altitude affected some of us more than others - that feeling that the world is spinning without you  amazing views though

no running after that - I think a few hours at altitude and climbing stairs at altitude is enough for anyone

13/08/2016 at 11:40

Morning All

Mont Blanc adventure sounds fab MC - one of the things I really want to do is do the cable car which goes over the top from Chamonix Courmayer  I'm guessing it's uber expensive and would require great weather but what a trip!!

This morning the boys and I met up with friends for an extended walk.......haven't done this since last summer due to Sharkey not being able to really go that far and some sort of training type neither pertains we had a lovely walk along the coast and back in the sun

Happy weekend  

13/08/2016 at 13:24

podds - yes, that is what we did, the cable car over the top to Italy- it was amazing but yes expensive - but seeing as we don't really go out/drink etc then we feel justified in spending what we want on holidays! The cable car was pretty scary and there is a bit where you feel like you are on a rollercoaster - I screamed and the kids laughed!

Really hot today, we have been for a walk but apart from a trip to the supermarket we are just chilling today. As I didn't bother getting up for a run while it was cool this morning I think I won't run today as it is forecast to still be really hot this evening. Shame because I love running on holiday but I am not going to run in 27 degrees +

13/08/2016 at 14:59

Sounds wonderful MC - would love to see some of your photos on your return

I love living by the coast but my fave holidays involve the Alps both summer and winter

M...eldy    pirate
13/08/2016 at 19:11

Evening team

Sorry for my absence, I'll leave a note on my desk

had an impromptu visit from a friend yesterday and as if by magic, 2 bottles of wine disappeared, then I stayed up watching the cycling, then i had a lie in and then I only managed 3.30 on the bike

back to work tomorrow sadly, I haven't done a early shift for a good while, this could get messy !!

13/08/2016 at 19:27

podds - I'll try to add you on facebook, I think I noticed you the other day but can't quite remember your name - I'll look again, I have put a few photos on my personal page

I hate snow so wouldn't like the Alps in winter!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.