working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

261 to 280 of 234,948 messages
D1
19/02/2004 at 09:59
Hope you're well on the mend T1 - hi Still Dreaming. I'd love to routinely get to running comfortably within 9-10 min miles, sounds like you're doing well. Thursday is speed-day (in erratic-speak) - only had time for 30 mins today so usual routine of warming up at 12 min miling & then taking it up in 1/2 mph increments for a min at a time with 30 sec recoveries at 5mph. Managed to push up to 9mph today (6.4 min miling!) but legs could only hold it for 30 secs, so brought it back down in 1/2 mph increments again. It does make the slower speeds feel easier (for a short while!). Was looking forward to rewarding Thai noodles with the girls at lunchtime today but it's just been cancelled boo-hoo (& I didn't bring any spare clean kit with me so can't even get an extra run in.....or shall I do it wet & sweaty....)
yeo
19/02/2004 at 10:13
love it when people talk about warming up at 12 minute mile pace

:-(
19/02/2004 at 10:22
yeah Yeo
specially when it IS ones pace

Slow means you get time to enjoy the scenery?

nope
19/02/2004 at 10:40
how's it going for all the run/walkers this week?

I know that your plans come on a lot in a week.

How's everyone finding it? ( particularly newbies)

Well done for getting through another week!

what are you all up to now (how much running, how much walking?)

larraine - saw your message about Southend on Sea - I used to live in Leigh on Sea.

Have you tried posting a separate thread about it here in beginners & on general - you are more likely to get an answer that way.

I think Steve SX is also a beginner in Southend (read his post a few weeks ago)

there may well be more - it'd make it easier for people to see if you make a separate thread.
19/02/2004 at 11:06
I am really new to outside running.I can run 5k comfortably on a tready but outside I struggle at 2miles!!!
I have entered the Great Welsh Run on May 3rd thinking it was 5k but realise now it is 5 miles.........can I do it??
19/02/2004 at 11:06
Went out last night for a run with a non-running freind. I knew she was fit but I couldn't believe she could run for 20 mins before needing to walk. It took me weeks to get to that stage!! Not fair.
Was nice running with someone for a change though - am so used to running alone.

T1 - I have also had glands like boulders. Very painful earache and sore throat as a result, so yesterday was first run this week. Also out on the town all next weekend with old uni mates, so no chance of my usual long run on saturday. Ah well, I'll treat it as an 'easy week'.
D1
19/02/2004 at 11:10
sssssoooorrrrrryyyyyy yeo, didn't mean it to sound like that - that was my stuffed-for-time 30 min speed session (which still comes out at over 10 min miling) - my steady run pace is nearer the 11-12 mark (don't want to get kicked out - i like it in here)
19/02/2004 at 11:15
Atters, you can do it, I think it's just a matter of getting outdoors more often - ideally for your longer runs (if you do longer and shorter runs that is)

I used to struggle outdoors when I was used to the treddie, but it didn't take long at all to get used to it. Apparently, setting the treddie to a 1% incline is supposed to simulate the effect of running outdoors more effectively.

If you can run 5K indoors, you can outdoors, it's just a matter of getting used to it. And if you can run 5K, that's really not far off 5m, so you're nearly there already!!
D1
19/02/2004 at 11:25
You have plenty of time between now and May 3rd Atters, if you take it nice & steady.
19/02/2004 at 12:16
Thank both, I am really enjoying this running lark.....and quietly looking forward to the 5miler x
yeo
19/02/2004 at 12:21
that's alright, erratic (sniff)
19/02/2004 at 12:40
Mornng all. or afternoon really. walking only today as I did outside run yesterday of 4 miles - really chuffed with myself as I only walked a little now and then. It seems a very slow struggle to get back to fitness after such a break but even though I was averaging 9-10 minute miles when fit it was hardly fast! its just that after running a marathon with no walking it sometimes feels that I'll never make it back again at this rate. having said that, I did get a buzz from yesterdays acheivement. 6 days no smoking now so I'm hanging in there and haven't killed anyone yet though I came pretty close to having a puff yesterday. Didn't though, surpised myself. keep it up all the other ex-smokers, its worth it in the end. Thoughts on posting a thread to find a running mate, its a good idea but now I've put it into words and not just thoughts its scary cos I don't think I'll find anyone as slow as me at the moment. I think I'll wait another month till I've improved a bit more.
19/02/2004 at 13:02
hey Carold,

sounds like we had the same kind of lurgy.

did it take you long to get over it? (or at least enough to run?)
19/02/2004 at 13:26
Atters
Dont worry
Its a friendly race and therell be lots of people who havent done 5 miles before
Stick to 3 times a week, and dont increase your overall distance by more thn 10%
19/02/2004 at 13:41
T1, it only took me a couple of days really. It was quite nasty so expected to be knocked out for a while but woke up yesterday and felt right(ish) as rain
19/02/2004 at 13:46
Trin 1 and Carold

Is it an internet virus, I wonder?

Woke up at 3.30am with a nasty throat.Today my tonsils have turned into squash balls.

With only 17 days to my 10 mile race, I was due for a good speed session tonight.

Guess it'll have to wait, tho'

Hope you both get better soon.

yours (croakily)

TFF
19/02/2004 at 14:43
oh dear Tff!

sounds like it is doing the rounds!

lots of hot drinks and ibuprofen for you, Tff.

hope you feel better soon!

19/02/2004 at 15:12
Hi you lot glad to hear you are all doing ok, sorry to hear that some of you have been unwell.

Couldnt run on Tuesday so am running tonight, have just received my number for my first half marathon in March and have now seen the route and am panicking.

I thought I would use it as long runs on a Sunday - so im driving round it this week to see what its like?!

Larraine, where in essex are you from? im from a fairly rural part as well maybe we could run together occasionally??
19/02/2004 at 15:25
Hi Tilly P. I am from Foulness Island which is very rural and the nearest town in Southend-on-Sea, about 10 miles away. I would be willing to travel a bit ( I have to travel anywhere from where I live anyway)
19/02/2004 at 16:51
Hi guys - need some advice. Went to osteopath last Friday and she said I had a 'micro-tear' in my calf muscle. Not massively painful to run on but is uncomfortable afterwards - so I have rested this week but I don't know when to start running again!! Clock is ticking - 8ish weeks to FLM and longest run so far is 12 miles - aggghhhghhg, deep breath,s stay calm. So chaps question is do I run tonight or not.....?
261 to 280 of 234,948 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.