working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

321 to 340 of 234,898 messages
22/02/2004 at 17:35
i can walk faster than i can plod at the moment unfortunately !

22/02/2004 at 17:37
join the club.
22/02/2004 at 17:41
Don't worry. You will get better at it. I am a beginner for the second time - I've had a break for a year and lost all fitness now I am run/walking again but improving. Just keep at it regularly and you will soon see the benefits.
22/02/2004 at 17:43
me too. i stopped outside once the weather got colder and my job took over. first 2 runs so far haven't been too bad.
22/02/2004 at 17:48
Have been plodding on treadmill since I started again, only been outside a couple of times but really need some motivation to get out there and do it. Its just that I find it so hard to get the breathing right when its cold and windy.
22/02/2004 at 17:50
hmmmm....its an internal shock to the system when you breath in the freezing air!
22/02/2004 at 17:54
Yes,my lungs just seem to stiffen up amd I can't get a full breath in. I just end up panting. Don't have that trouble when I run inside. Roll on summer. Brown legs in shorts and sun on face. Nice to dream
22/02/2004 at 18:00
lol.... only then you'll hear everyone talking about how its too hot to run and how they have to run early morning/late evening to avoid the heat!!! can't please everybody!!!
22/02/2004 at 18:03
Off to watch tv now. keep plodding, dream of warm summer sunshine, singing birds and NO WIND!
22/02/2004 at 18:20
I plodded on the treddie
Run walk
2 hours and a bit
22/02/2004 at 18:43
Well done Hippy. Used treaddie for some runs when training for marathon. I think longest one was about 1hr 50mins. I got so bored I couldnt stand it any longer. It is usefull for this weather though. I would love to get outside but I'm waiting for a nice calm day so I will be on treddie tomorrow. Couldn't last 2 hours. So far I've managed 50 minutes
22/02/2004 at 18:47
well done hippo!
22/02/2004 at 20:47
nice to meet other people as slow as me 11 min miles did 7 today miles that is not minutes
22/02/2004 at 21:05
My comfy pace is 11 min miles

unless its a bloody mara or ultra
22/02/2004 at 21:12
Hi all,

Welcome Bune and Ollie, and anyone else just joined.

Still ick, sadly - so no running for a whole week :( (thanks for asking TFF - hope you are better soon - especially since we are both racing on 7th,)

HOPING to be well enought to do a quick run tommorrow.

Still

at least I have sat in and finished the Fit to Run course - which has been mouldering away on the top of the microwave :)

lazy lou and larraine - I used to hate outside in the winter too, for similar reasons - but now (since I carried on outside through autumn & actually invested in some PROPER outside kit -thermal base layer and windproof jacket + hat and gloves) I actually enjoy it. For me, proper gear made all the difference.

mind you, if I had a treddie, I am sure I could be converted...
22/02/2004 at 21:39
Sorry to hear you're still not 100%, t1, but well done on finishing the Fit to Tun course. Hey, doesn't this mean we can all come to you for advice on fitness matters now??

Mind if I contribute to this thread now and again? For lazy lou and larraine, trin hits the nail right on the head by talking about investing in some decent kit for running outside. A good thermal base layer is a wise investment, and something to keep the wind off your chest. You don't have to spend a great deal, maybe you've seen the thread about running gear from Aldi? It seems to be very good value for money.

As well as gloves and a hat being important(no matter how self-conscious you may feel), another thing you could think about is something called a "Buffy". It's a very versatile piece of material which can be worn as a headband, headscarf, neckerchief - there are many combinations. I wear mine as a neckerchief, and it certainly makes me feel a lot warmer, and hopefully it could make you both a lot more comfortable breathing.

Anyway, it will be spring soon, won't it? Won't it????
22/02/2004 at 22:01
Hi coach B!

'corse you are welcome to join in :)

larraine and lazy lou - forgot to say got my base layer top (reebok) from m and m sports - they did have them for £4.99 - which I THINK is even cheaper than Aldi (don't quote me) - they only had lime green, though - but I'm not fussy - and they seem to do the job.

well, toodle pip all - see you tommorrow!
XB
22/02/2004 at 22:08
Hi All

No plod for me today but did manage to walk up the steep side of Pendle Hill with 4.75yo twin 2. I was so proud of her cos it was blinkin' freezing - twin 1, who really feels the cold, had abandoned half way up - and very steep.

Good to see so many new faces. Spring is definitely in the air - daffodils and lambs were spotted when I waddle d yesterday.

Night night

XB
22/02/2004 at 22:32
T1 What part of EA do you come from, lazy Lou and I are from Peterborough! By the way LL and I are related if you had not guessed. LL is my daughter!
22/02/2004 at 22:44
Hi XB and Still dreaming.

bless your little one, XB! we'll let you off running today for parental resposibilities!

SD and LL - I live in Norfolk in Attleborough (fondly known as apple-bog)

snowing here, now yuk!!!

Been saying for sometime there should be a RW eastern social.... now there are a few of us, perhaps we should lay one on?

Yeo (Norwich) and I are going to meet at the Wymondham 10 on March 7 - don't suppose you are about?
321 to 340 of 234,898 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.