(goes off to consult wall chart)

3 mins! so quite good
10/02/2004 at 07:45
OVER 50 minutes
10/02/2004 at 07:46
soo... is that good or bad ph?
10/02/2004 at 08:04
thats BRILLIANT

how long have you been running in this incarnation?

you know, i often wonder what happens to all the beginners who start hopeful threads on here
loads of them disappear again
its sad
10/02/2004 at 08:11
really only started PROPERLY again after Christmas

Did R4L last summer, was keeping up quite well, but then we moved house in Septmember (and then to temporary accom whilst the builders finished building the new house)+ finally to hear in mid-autumn.

Carried on a little in this period with the occasional 15 min burst - so had't ENTIRELY regressed to prevous non-run state, but progress had certainly gone.

Made running a new years res, and asked family members for various bits of winter-type kit for Christmas to give me an incentive to get going again.

'bout you - how long you been 'at it'?
10/02/2004 at 08:13
Since may 2002
god, nearly 2 years
i should not stillbe this slow
last year, never evn missed a weeks training
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
10/02/2004 at 08:23
Can I join please?
I have been 'running' for more than 2years now, it tok me a year to be able to plod for more than 10 minutes at a time. I read something about running really slowly which I did, felt a bit of a prat, but at least it worked to some extent.
I'm still very slow, dogged by injury, but I really want to do FLM this year. I'll be just behind you Hipps!
I was absent when they dished out the fast twitch fibres, so I don't know that I will get any faster ever, but I enjoy the running so much that I don't care anymore.
Let's just try and keep this thread alive and plodding
10/02/2004 at 08:23
Hi.

Can manage 10 min miles over shorter distances but average 13 - 15 min miles over the marathon.

I'm never going to be quick as I am completely the wrong shape for speed.

Been running on and off since August 2001 (off periods due to injury and laziness). FLM 2002 was my first marathon, NYC 2003 my second. Now training for FLM 2004.

There you go, potted history of Slow-girl Floosie.

10/02/2004 at 08:39
do you really reckon shape makes a difference
10/02/2004 at 08:48
I think your shape indicates your genetics (this is just my thought, I have no proof of this).

I can never been that lean and skinny runner shape (Paula Radcliffe, Sonia O'Sulivan, etc) as I have wide hips and big thighs (your classic English pear). I don't think height makes a difference - I'm only 5 ft but then so are a lot of the female elites - but I do think your genetic make up effects your ability. I'm just not a "natural" runner in terms of my physical atributes.
10/02/2004 at 09:47
Hello, can I join? I average an 11 minute mile on my longer runs (10-12km), but don't get much faster than that even when running much shorter distances.I sometimes get frustrated by how slow I am, but then realise that I really enjoy my long slow runs and hate speed training. But if I give up speed traing, I just seem to get slower and slower.

I've heard it said plenty of times that your size and shape doesn't matter, but I'm short and pear-shaped too and can't help thinking it must make some difference.
10/02/2004 at 09:56
Hi Fs, Caren and Carold - 'course you can join!

Welcome! now we just need to grab a few newbies, and we'll be up and running (or is that jogging/run/walking) tee hee.

Be good to see a few new faces before they 'fall off' the end of 5K training plans.

10/02/2004 at 10:35
Hi guys
I think shape does have an effect. I used to "run" with 2 friends both of whom are slightly taller than me but about 3 - 4 stone lighter and probably 3 - 4 dress sizes smaller. Not only did they have much less weight to carry round but their legs were longer and so were their strides which meant they were always travelling faster for much less effort. We don't run together any more as although they never made me feel out of it I made myself feel out of it.
btw - about 11 minute miling after 9 month lay off part due to injury, part to commitments and part to laziness! Am trying to get motivated again but find it so easy to find an excuse.
good luck to all
10/02/2004 at 10:48
Hi all
I'm an averagely-built fairly tall runner, but my pb for a 10k is 63mins.

I struggle to crack the 10 mm barrier on short runs and (oh dear) when i strap a hrm on and try to run at less than 70% max I do more than 12min miles. (and THAT'S better than I was doing a couple of months back when it was over 13min miles)

By the way, in training, the best I've done for 10 miles is 1hr 54.

I've been running for 6 months.

Do I qualify for the official slow club?
10/02/2004 at 10:56
hi poddler and FF,

both welcome to join if you want (haven't really set any 'official' slow marker) thought more it would sort of self regulate.

sounds like you are making good progress FF!

Poddler, good on you for getting going again, it's always hard after a break.

By the way, if anyone wants to set a marker on speed I'm open to suggestion.

At the moment I've kept away, because I kind of feel that even 'slow' runners are likely to vary there pace a bit depending on distance, and I kind of figured people who feel that they are up and flying probably wouldn't want to join a 'slow run' thread.

any thoughts?

10/02/2004 at 11:06
Trinity

I've met people who consider 8 minute miles to be slow!!!

I think it's up to the individual to decide if he/she is slow.

And off course, we can all post our stunning improvements (ha,ha!) on the thread over the coming months.

Move over Paula Radcliffe, the Fifer's coming through!!!!
10/02/2004 at 11:12
kind of thought that'd be the case, FF

but people who consider 8MM as slow, I think are unlikely to hang around with us bunch, so in effect I think they'd weed themselves out.

any way - anyone else out doing there thing tonight?

I've decided to go for 4 x 11 mins jogging/running with 3 min walking intervals and see how I get on.
10/02/2004 at 11:18
so slow i go backwards

unless there is a folowing wind and last orders
10/02/2004 at 11:18
I've already done my run for the day - 5 miles on the treadmill in the gym. I worry about my knees so generally do midweek plods on the treaddie, and long Sunday runs outdoors.

My first half marathon is 7th March and I'm SCARED!
21 to 40 of 229,653 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.