working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

141 to 160 of 235,452 messages
11/02/2004 at 22:29
Hi Gaz,

glad we didn't scare you off.

here's another thought...

have you considered doing the 'get you round' plan if the big chunks of increasing running mileage give you jip.

There's no shame in run/walking (which I think this plan covers ) - better to get round at a slower pace than not at all.

I think Poddler suggested before that at this stage you need to work on endurance. This could include building some walking in as well as running.

BTW I am overweight too (BMI 31) and I live in a small dark place with no streetlights and carpy pavements - so have the road problem too.

Hope you wear something nice an flourescent/bright if you are night running :)

I've just been down to the local gym and think I will join, so that I can use the tready and cross trainers occasionally.

TTFN, T1
11/02/2004 at 22:34
make sure youve got some good supportive shoes that are appropriate to your running style

and its worth adding some run walk - so you can lengthen the mileage /maintain the cadio vascular training (if you walk briskly ) and lessen the impact on your joints - whilst building up the time you spend on your feet - which is an important part of a get you round marathon schedule
11/02/2004 at 23:54
get you round is a good plan
theres a thread on the FLM one, nice peeps, go and say hello gaz

i also think you are building up a bit quickly----take care

Right
hadd test

the idea is to run 2.4 km at heart rates of 140/150/160/170/180/
note how long it takes you, and how your legs and breathing feel at each stage and have 90 sec rest between each
the idea is to determine your personal lactate threshold---better than an age related formula

more info on the base traiing thread on traiing--itss a hell of a read
im no expert

the
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
12/02/2004 at 08:16
Morning all

Legs a little tender after the rub down yesterday, but he says that he feels that the FLM is a very real possibility!!!
Have to build the mileage now.

Well muppets walked .......... in the daylight yay!!!

I'm off to do the work thing now

cya later,happy plodding all
D1
12/02/2004 at 10:14
Hi all - hope you're all doing well! Gaz, I'd echo the others about being careful on the buildup - after my first 10k I got a bit enthusiastic with 1/2 mara training, trying to go faster/further too soon which led straight to a hobble to the physio (but that was before I found RW & these forums - know better now!). Well, done my weekly version of speedwork at the gym this morning which always causes much mirth & merriment with the instructors (recoveries at 5mph with 1 min bursts at 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 3x8.5 mph). 3 miles of this took me 32 mins (+ warmup/cooldown) hey-ho but I live in hope that over time doing these might notch speed/aerobic fitness up a bit. Next run Sat's long-slow. Today's fab news - the gym's lunch-hour running club starts up again soon - yippee aye!
12/02/2004 at 10:43
Morning all
Thanks hippo for the info - another silly question though. How will I know which is my lactate threshold? Obviously it's going to get harder as I try to work at a higher heart rate and lactate build up will make it hurt but is there something I am looking for?
Hi Caren - yes daylight - nice - downside for me is that all the fair weather walkers start showing up now with their unknown muppets :o( and as one of mine is hormonally anxious she doesn't really like unknowns on her patch!
12/02/2004 at 10:50
Hi everyone. This thread sounds just what i need. I have been running for nearly 5 years and was doing ok (by my standards) until last autumn. had done some half marathons, 10 milers and FLM 2002 (5hrs 13) then split with hubby, re-united with hubby then had nervous breakdown resulting in hospitalization breifly and medication which all stopped my running for a few months. had no motivation at all and felt depressed because i wasnt running. Now, however, I've decided to start running again and get back to fitness. trouble is I started smoking when going through the bad stuff and now I am having real trouble with my breathing when I run. Would love to give up the weed but find willpower elusive. My times are 35 minutes for 3 miles and thats running/walking so I am a slow runner. Feeling that all the progress I gained before has gone and I am now back to complete beginner. Sorry for rambling.
12/02/2004 at 10:54
Larraine - welcome - this sounds like your spiritual home! I know there are other threads on quitting smoking - have you had a look at any? Might have a different slant on how to go about it?
12/02/2004 at 10:56
No, havent looked at other threads. will do that. have made appointment for doctors for tomorrow to get some patches and will try that. I just know how hard it will be as i gave up once before for 4 years. what a fool to start again.
D1
12/02/2004 at 11:06
Hi Larraine - there are a few threads on the weed with loads of tips and support & there's a book in particular that people seem to swear by (can't remember the name of it....) or else why don't you start a thread - people are v friendly & tend to rally round!
12/02/2004 at 11:30
hi,if anyone fancies talking another newbie i could really do with some like minded people to chat with. ive been running for a couple of years and im very slow, but just as i start to see some real progress and feel good about myself i pick up injury/illness and have to take time out. ive never entered a race, i always look at the race diaries but am scared to enter in case i make a complete fool of myself and get laughed at. im thinking about entering a 3k fun run next week, has anyone got any advice on what to expect and how to go about it. cheers,
chrissy
D1
12/02/2004 at 11:38
Go for it - enter the race! A fun run will break the ice for you & it's guaranteed you won't make a fool of yourself and nobody will laugh. That's exactly what I thought in my first race & I felt sick with nerves at the start with all these "proper" runners around (there were quite a few improper ones as well tho'!) - what I didn't expect was the massive support and encouragement you get from fellow runners, marshalls & spectators & how much fun it'd be on the day, so go on - have a go! You'll never know otherwise!
12/02/2004 at 11:41
Hi guys - well looks like you were all correct - went out for a 4 miler last night and had to stop after 2 as my right calf was starting to hurt and this morning its somewhat tender - have an appointment with my osteopath tomorrow to see whats going on - keep everything crossed for me!!
12/02/2004 at 11:44
Welcome laraine and Christine

Gaz, hope it all works pout for you
poddler, im no expert, btu i think lactate threshold is when you are very uncomfortable, rather than just working hard, and cant carry on
actually
it just before that point
12/02/2004 at 12:32
Thanks P Hippo

Chrissy - have you thought about one of the Race for Life races? 5k, women only, many people walk the whole way. They're for cancer charity and they like you to raise about £30 but it's not compulsory. The atmosphere is fantastic and despite being very different in some ways to "normal" races many things are similar - the support you get, the nerves, the feeling that everyone is faster and.....the queue for the loos.
I think the venues are due out for 2004 sometime soon (there is a thread on this somewhere too) and with about 250 venues in the UK I would imagine there is one near you.
As Erratic says the support is usually good at these races even from the whippet racers sometimes!
M.
12/02/2004 at 12:41
larraine

it wont be as hard as last time if you've only been back on the fags a few months. try the allen carr book for a new approach?

good luck
M.
XB
12/02/2004 at 12:53
Larraine

The Allen Carr book worked for me...I couldn't wait to finish the book and smoke my last fag. I had my last fag on 16 November last year and haven't looked back.

I also listened to a hypnosis cd last thing at night.

You can do it...

XB
12/02/2004 at 13:14
erratic and poddler,
thanks for the advice, i think ill give the 3k a go next week, that'll be my first big step! the race for life sounds right up my street so ill definitely be looking out for that. any advice on motivation?! im trying to get my butt out the door as we speak!
XB
12/02/2004 at 13:21
CF2

Just do it!! You know you want to...and you know what a buzz you'll feel when you get back. And it's not raining...and...and...enjoy

12/02/2004 at 13:28
Hi again all,

well done to everyone who got out last night/this morning.

I managed 4x10 mins run and 3 min walk intervals in between - felt like cemement boots - oh well, I suppose we all have days like that . It'll have to get better next time...

Gaz - sorry to hear you are a bit sore - rotton luck - hope you get it sorted out.

ff - was it you who braved the club? - if so, well done - sounds like you are coming on well. (if it was someone else - apologies and well done also - I'm a bit dopey today as was up 5 times in the night with kids).

got to fly,

hope you are all well

cf - do the race
larraine - good luck on the cigs

T1
141 to 160 of 235,452 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.