working at it slowly

for joggers, slow runners, run/walkers and newbies

161 to 180 of 235,749 messages
12/02/2004 at 13:31
Thanks everyone for encouragement. cant keep running and wheezing like an old steam engine and running is much more important than the fags, I keep telling myself.
12/02/2004 at 14:12
From one addiction to another...

I ate a days calories last night in the form of a McDonalds meal and dessert. As I was buying it I knew that I could get an alternative but I still went ahead. I haven't even attempted to make ammends and missed my run this morning! Not good. Bad Laura.
12/02/2004 at 14:38
TenTon

It may help if you try to look at food as the fuel for your running, rather than looking at running as a way of burning of the food.

You ate more than intended last night?-so what, it was still fuel, and it will give you the energy to go for a run today.

Get out that door tonight, girl!

12/02/2004 at 14:41
TenTon - that's the nature of addiction though isn't it? I'm the same with chocolate. I'll buy 2 or 3 of the largest bars you can get and eat them one after the other...about half way through I feel sick but I still eat them! fortuntately / unfortunately I am not sick afterwards (accidentally or deliberately)so the hips are ever expanding.
Am trying weight loss resources on the internet at the moment and so far it is making me take more responsability for myself so will have to see how it goes.
I remind myself that thinner me makes a faster me!
12/02/2004 at 14:56
Poddler

I look like I should be able to run fast- long legs, slim- but I'm still dog-slow!!

It must be my genes. I blame the parents, you know.

Seriously, I have had my own battles with food in the past, and I can identify with your chocaholism. I had a serious episode of it when my youngest son was a baby.

I ended up avoiding chocolate completely for a few months. I do occasionally eat it now, but only if it is, say, a chocolate biscuit or a sweet that someone has offered me. I never buy it for myself now.

Having a substitute, that you can eat unlimited amounts of, helps too. I filled up my fruit bowl when I gave up chocolate, and I still eat huge amounts of fruit.

12/02/2004 at 15:05
Hi all
to give up smoking I went out with my friend and drank endless cocktails. The next morning I was so ill. I realised that I'd had my last fag the night before when the pack ran out and haven't smoked since so if you want to give up, go out with my friend!! (And that was 10 years ago)
12/02/2004 at 15:16
What plodding has everyone done (or will be doing) today?

Someone at the running club suggested I try some hilly fartlek, so that's what I've got lined up for tonight.

Best done under cover of darkness- fewer dog-walkers around to overtake me as I stagger up the hills!!
12/02/2004 at 15:21
Hi FF - none today for me (rest day) did about 4 miles run/walk last night.

just as well it is a rest day today - as the baby and the toddler had me up 5 times last night.

My run last night was a bit pants. felt like lead boots.

such is life

sounds like you are getting on well with the club.

One of these days when my hubbie is not working late (so, like about 2010, then) I'm going to brave the local ac.

ttfn, H
12/02/2004 at 16:40
Hi guys
Sorry T1 for your broken night - boy am I glad I don't have kids - the dogs are enough for me. Hope you get some kip tonight.
Also not running tonight but only because can't run Mon - Fri at mo' for various reasons. Hoping to do a gentle 3 miles on Saturday and ??? 10 miles (gulp) on Sunday...

FF - sorry for your genes! At least you look the part when you're out and about. I just look like the porker who's just made New Year's / Birthday / Morning after the night before resolution. Glad you're enjoying the club - I'm going to get back to mine in a couple of weeks when things get sorted a bit.

FG - like your solution but a bit extreme! Was ill the other night (cooked for myself - never a good idea...) and having also had chocolate that day was hopeful that spending half the night with head down loo would cure me of everything I'd eaten in the previous 24 hours. Unfortunately anti choccie sentiments only lasted 48 hours. Have tried fruit etc but it's just not the same...
Happy plodding tonight for those who are
12/02/2004 at 19:19
FF I have the same problem - I look like I should be fast too, must be the Scottish genes.
12/02/2004 at 19:26
the one time in my life i might even be grateful for my solid frame and big appendages

im not supposed to be fast
13/02/2004 at 01:26
I'm into week two, run\walk for me at the moment, 3min run, 1min walk. Usually do the 3min run 5times over a set distance, don't know how far as such, just use markers.

Enjoying it very much, but the hardest part I am finding is patience. I want to do more than I am. Still, softly, softly catchee monkey!
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
13/02/2004 at 05:44
Morning
Off to RPM class then work, it's Friday so paperwork, meetings, more meetings and more paperwork.
See you later
13/02/2004 at 08:02
morning all!

just had to come and see who was about to post so early.

welcome breathless,

Hi Caren - what's RPM, then?

have a small session planned for tonight - 4x11min runs with 3 min walk intervals.

hope it goes better than the other night (had cement boots, if you know what I mean)

have a good day all, see you later
XB
13/02/2004 at 13:11
Hey

Quiet in here today. Good luck T1, it sounds like you'd benefit from a good run.
RPM? I'm intrigued.

I had a very gentle plod this morning on my sore ankle. It felt better but very tender. I'm off to see the (Podiatry) wizard this after - he thinks he will be able to sort it.

I hope so - I have my mother in law staying for half term next week and I'll need to get out of the house.

T'rar
M.
13/02/2004 at 13:18
RPM is another name for spinning
M.
13/02/2004 at 13:23
RPM is cycling on stationary bikes to music - it looks very hard!

I reached my 30min non-stop running target this morning. Woo hoo!!!!

No more McDonalds and no urge for anything sweet and sticky since Wednesday's faux pas.

On an anti-valentines night out tonight (with a bunch of bitter women). What's not too calorie intensive as far as alcohol goes?
13/02/2004 at 14:11
Gin and slimline tonic
13/02/2004 at 14:16
TenTon, try vodka and slimline tonic or diet coke - 50 calories a shot. Did 3 miles on treadmill this morning,run and walking. breathing bad. got patches from doctor today and hope to start using them at the weekend so hopefully the wheezes will soon be going and that will make running easier. sore hamstring today. rest or run tomorrow? think I know the answer really just don't want to have to stop now that I've got myself in the right frame of mind for running.
13/02/2004 at 14:17
Good on you TenTon
I've blown it I'm afraid and eaten large amount of chocolate today - don't really know why as not a bad day all things considered.....well pi**ed off with self. Will go for self denial tonight and be so busy that don't need to eat.
161 to 180 of 235,749 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.