Yet another newbie

4 messages
04/09/2012 at 17:43

I thought it was about time that I got fit and lost a few pounds.

At 43 I've always steered away from running and never been particularly sporty. I used to cycle and go to the gym in my late teens early twenties but then I discovered cars, beer and women.

I looked into running because it's cheaper than buying a decent mountain bike. Once I read about c25k I decided to give it a go.

I've now completed the second run of week 2 and am surprised how much I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been easy but I can already feel the benefits.

The only issue that I can see so far is being able to run often enough. I work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern of 12 hour days and nights. When I'm on nights it's not too bad as I can run when I get up at about 3:00 then have a bath and get ready for work. When I'm on days I'm up at 5:00 am then not back in until 8:00 pm. Then I still have to get a meal and sort sandwiches, etc for the next day. Will it be OK to have a 4 day break from running when I'm on days? That means I will run 4 times in 8 days but have then have 4 off.

Strange part for me is that even on a rest day I am looking forward to the next run 

Andy

04/09/2012 at 22:19

It might not be ideal, but it'll be okay, especially if you mix up your training runs. This might be useful I guess:

http://takeitinyourstride.co.uk/2012/08/finding-time-to-run/

04/09/2012 at 22:33

Cheers mate.

I will have to try and fit something in but not sure how yet.

Running to or from work is not an option as  I work 21 miles away from home.

Might have to be a much shorter run last thing when I take the dogs out. Not ideal for sleep though I guess.

Andy

23/09/2012 at 00:23

Well I've now completed the first run of week 5 and am feeling the benefits. I did find this one and the last run of week 4 very hard going though. This was probably due to a slight head cold. I had to really force myself to complete the 5 minute runs.

I think getting the pace right may be an issue when running for longer periods for me.

As I feared, I cannot fit any running in when I am on days. I do manage to get 6 runs in on the 12 days inbetween days shifts though so I think it will come good.

Looking forward to tomorrow afternoon so that i can do run 2 of week 5.

Andy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.