Yoga for runners..?

Does ashtanga yoga help?

4 messages
06/05/2008 at 11:49

Hi all,

So finally I fitted in a rest day yesterday and I must say I really missed going out for a run...

While doing some research on the internet I came accross something that said that Ashtanga Yoga was good for runners. 

I must admit that it looks absolutly fantastic in the videos that I have seen on youtube, but will it actually help my running?

Has anyone here tried it? If so, could you give me some valuable feedback?  

Thanks in advance... 

06/05/2008 at 12:07

Uhhh, I used to do Ashtanga loads. Mind you, it's quite strenuous. I would take it up again in a second if I could fit it into my schedule (pesky work hours!).

Not sure if it's any good for running, though. I've heard yoga is supposed to be good for stretching tight hamstrings and other parts of the body that tend to get a bit tense from running, and Ashtanga will certainly give you a good stretch. I'm a little worried it might be too strenuous to couple with another strenuous excercise like running. According to general beliefs, the body does need time off once in a while.

It's a tempting thought, though. Let me know how it works out if you decide to give it a try. 

06/05/2008 at 12:38
I will certainly give it a try. Just got to find a teacher, which is proving not that easy. I will find one though and keep you updated as to my progress

Tell me, how long did it take you to learn? Is it something that you can pick up in a couple of weeks or does it take years? I am not very flexible at present so it may take me longer I guess.
06/05/2008 at 12:53

Ahh, the eternal question. Difficult to answer. You can certainly pick up the start of series 1 in a couple of weeks, that is to say you can memorize the positions and their order, how many breaths per position and when to move from one to the other and whether to move on an exhalation or inhalation. Whether or not you'll be able to do the positions is an entirely different matter. Many people take years to complete the first series, let alone the 2nd and 3rd.

The good news is that you don't need to do very much at all to feel the benefits. And you're almost guranteed to sweat a great deal even if all you ever do is the first half of the first series. It doesn't matter how much you can do or how flexible you are as long as you do it. A little like running really. Doesn't matter if you're slow and out of shape, as long as you get out there. The rest will follow.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.