A public service announcement

18 messages
kittenkat    pirate
15/02/2013 at 06:52
K80
15/02/2013 at 08:57

I was expecting this thread to start with "Warning, Warning"...

15/02/2013 at 09:19
I think we all know who should read that. I found the over use of the ...........off putting to a point where I barely read her posts at all.
15/02/2013 at 11:56

Interesting...

15/02/2013 at 12:01

As annoying as overused punctuation marks are.........................and I do find them quite annoying............they're preferable to the e c cummings prose style favoured by some posters; a style that is particularly common in text messages and emails from one of my closest friends who along with poor grammar and terrible spelling likes to chain together long sentences often inserting subclauses and conditional clauses without any helpful punctuation to assist the reader in making sense of his ramblings do any of you have any friends who do this every time i get an email from him i have to read it as though he is reading it aloud to make any sense of it and even then they often contain ambiguities that could be easily rectified with a little judicial use of a comma or a fullstop

15/02/2013 at 12:11
How about people who come on here asking for advise?
Or the ones who have a blister on their heal?
15/02/2013 at 13:00
Must be two advise threads every day Millsy.
Edited: 15/02/2013 at 13:01
15/02/2013 at 13:05

or the threads asking whether they can achieve a goal?

like can i run a mara in 2:30?

15/02/2013 at 13:30
AgentGinger wrote (see)

As annoying as overused punctuation marks are.........................and I do find them quite annoying............they're preferable to the e c cummings prose style favoured by some posters; a style that is particularly common in text messages and emails from one of my closest friends who along with poor grammar and terrible spelling likes to chain together long sentences often inserting subclauses and conditional clauses without any helpful punctuation to assist the reader in making sense of his ramblings do any of you have any friends who do this every time i get an email from him i have to read it as though he is reading it aloud to make any sense of it and even then they often contain ambiguities that could be easily rectified with a little judicial use of a comma or a fullstop

15/02/2013 at 13:50

what a fool i've been. i obviously meant e e cummings.

15/02/2013 at 13:53
Formerly known as Orange Cummings
15/02/2013 at 14:56
How about the ones where

I was too lazy / late / disorganised to enter the race in time does anyone have a spare ticket?
Tommygun2    pirate
15/02/2013 at 15:07

Whats a ticket Millsy, are you refering to a spare place or race number

15/02/2013 at 15:23

Whats an apostrophe, Tommygun2? 

15/02/2013 at 15:29

I always look forward to a bit of M-Bingo in the run-up to the London Marathon, with lots of discussions about accomodation and using Immodium.

15/02/2013 at 15:42

As someone who's guilty of overuse of ellipses, I must confess that I've always thought that it was OK to finish a senrice with one, without the need for a period.  Much the same as using a ? or !

Seems like I was wrong...

Or actually....

But I don't like that, it looks wrong!

kittenkat    pirate
15/02/2013 at 18:30
40 minutes wrote (see)

As someone who's guilty of overuse of ellipses, I must confess that I've always thought that it was OK to finish a senrice with one, without the need for a period.  Much the same as using a ? or !

Seems like I was wrong...

Or actually....

But I don't like that, it looks wrong!

Hello you, I've just told Cole we're running tomorrow and he's happy.

kittenkat    pirate
15/02/2013 at 18:31
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I think we all know who should read that. I found the over use of the ...........off putting to a point where I barely read her posts at all.

I wasn't actually thinking of that person this time, but yes, I can't follow it either.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.