A race for all of us to meet at Part 2

Which will YOU do

21 to 40 of 101 messages
30/09/2002 at 14:23
Salisbury definitely. Is it another half marathon -oh dear, I'll start moaning now.
The others I'll have to think about...

Caz, I live near Salisbury Plain and I can't imagine it being less "undulating" than Windsor. But there might be fewer ups and downs and more long slow inclines cos if it's all on the top it's high and flat. Does that make any sense ?
KR
30/09/2002 at 14:24
Have just waded through the other thread - all sounds like a great idea! - I could do Salisbury and either Ironbridge or Coniston
30/09/2002 at 14:26
Does anyone know if there's a Salisbury web site so we can have a look at the course etc ?

Swiss Bobby, if you're out there one could do one of your dead impressive link thingies (that's the technical term...)
30/09/2002 at 14:27
Helsby and either Coniston or Ironbridge.
30/09/2002 at 14:27
Here's a few words about the Helsby Half Marathon.

Next years race will be the 22nd Helsby Half Marathon. It is very well organised, plenty of car parking, a little short on toilets and the weather can range from bloody awful to perfect. There is a limit of 1800 entrants which is always full well in advance. If you are thinking about this race, don't delay, enter today. Travel to Helsby is simple by car, take junction 14 off the M56. The course records are 1:04:36 for the men and 1:13:08 for the ladies (both set last year).

The race starts on the main road through Helsby (A56) and goes through Dunham-on-the-Hill, Mouldsworth, Manley before returning to Helsby for the finish. Most of the run takes you through the countryside on a series of country lanes past many farms and lots of farmyard smells. From my experience, even when it is windy you are sheltered from the worst of it by hedges either side of the road. It is undulating but there is from memory only one baddish hill. There is a clock at 10 miles and then the worst hill comes immediately after. This is more than made up for by the last 2 miles which is generally down hill and very fast.
Showers, hot and cold drinks and comfy seats are available at the end. You get a rather nice medal and T-shirts are available (long and short sleeve!!) to buy at a very reasonable price.
30/09/2002 at 14:39
Hi, Coniston for me even though RW mag July 2002 says that it is "Demanding" Gulp ! ! !
30/09/2002 at 14:45
Salisbury it is for me.
30/09/2002 at 14:53
Daisy dog, I get what you mean. Oh dear, well I need to overcome my dislike for hills and get out and run some!
30/09/2002 at 14:58
Caz, surely you'll now be bounding up them like a bunny??
30/09/2002 at 15:00
Slowboy, true, I'd better hop to it, boing, boing, boing.
30/09/2002 at 15:08
Tim, best not to though, ah.
30/09/2002 at 15:12
Re. Salisbury...

Is the race you are talking about here The George Dunster Imber Half?
BK
30/09/2002 at 15:50
Hi DW, yes I think Grumpy has clarified that it is called that on the Salisbury Events thread.

Any additional info on these races would be helpful people. Bear in mind I'm only going on your race recommendations and don't know these races personally
30/09/2002 at 15:50
Coniston would give me a good reason to train on hills (lets face it, I wouldn't otherwise!)

Not much interest for Inverness Half yet, but in case anyone is thinking about it:

Starts next to the river, near the sports centre, and runs along to the main bridge into the town. Flat until 3.5 miles, where there is a slight hill (nothing tooooo scary) to mile 5. Turns up a lovely wee leafy lane for a mile or so, then back into the east of the town. There is a small hill about 8.5 miles, but this is followed by a good downhill for recovery, and the last 3 miles are flat, back along the river on bith sides to finish at the running track.

Nice medal and T-shirt, and £300 prize if anyone beats the course record!
30/09/2002 at 16:31
I just had a nose on the Warminster Running Club site about the George Dunster Imber Half and the results for 2002, they only had 239 people listed. So I was thinking, could this event be too small for us as we'll flood it?

Does anyone know the limits for this one?
30/09/2002 at 16:37
BK, ah yes, just seen it! Bit behind today...
BK
30/09/2002 at 16:42
Foxy, can we have your views on this race as I think you recommended it.
30/09/2002 at 16:50
BK,
The Salibury one is called The George Dunster Imber Half, don't know anything other than what is on the web http://www.runningdiary.co.uk/go/view.cgi/201

Badger and I just decide that we were going to do it, that's why we mentioned it. (it looks a popular choice so I'm sure it will be good regardless)

I'm up for either Ironbridge or Coniston too!
30/09/2002 at 17:02
Coniston for me. I have done it twice before and whilst I wouldn't call it 'demanding' it is undulating but its one of those where the scenery takes your mind off the challenge of the course. Great pub across the road from the finish line for a swift one after!
BK
30/09/2002 at 17:04
Has anyone done this Salisbury race and can tell us what they think
21 to 40 of 101 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.