a thread for knitters

See pirates, it IS a knitting club!

181 to 200 of 493 messages
08/06/2010 at 16:38

Oops... that didn't go quite right did it!?

Slippers....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/338474/Gallery/slippers.JPG

Wow Helen, you're going to be busy by the sounds of it. Flower fairies sounds lovely. I loved looking at the illustrations in those books when I was little.

I'm planning on knitting jumpers for my nieces Christmas presents. I only have 2 but I'd better start soon as I'm not the world's quickest knitter.

08/06/2010 at 16:42

Nice slippers, Small

I have a week to finish Jonny Depp in cross stitch

08/06/2010 at 16:44

They look more like slippers!

Beebs - you have to post a picture of that - completely intrigued!

08/06/2010 at 16:45

Thank you Beebs

How do you concentrate...?

08/06/2010 at 16:51

He's Captain Jack, HL, its hard,small

I started him as a surprise for my eldest daughter for her 15th birthday, she has just turned 20

I had my reasons for the ling gaps 

She and her bf are coming to live with us in a week,she's been in Sweden with his family pretty much since the beginning of the year 

Pink    pirate
08/06/2010 at 17:07

My Christmas stocking practice run has stalled somewhat. I'm part way down the foot and if the toe is as hard as the heel I may stop there. It might not work that well as a stocking mind you...

Actually I think there's a flaw in the pattern - I'm sure it reverses at some point so you'd be continuing with the wrong side of stocking stitch on the outside. And despite the heel pattern looking as though I should end up with the same number of stitches I started with I managed to acquire a few more along the way.

Maybe I'll commission a couple from the MiL  

16/06/2010 at 13:53
16/06/2010 at 13:59
Beebs - you might want to check that link...
16/06/2010 at 14:00
What is the problem HL?
16/06/2010 at 14:02

doesn't look like a picture of Captain Jack to me* - I get sent to your facebook profile page

*unless you've been dressing up again

16/06/2010 at 14:06
It might mean you can only see that link if you are an FB friend, I'll try something different
16/06/2010 at 17:19

Glad to see this thread has been boinged again.

Great cross stitch Beebs - have commented on your FB page.

I have a question re knitting.  I am thinking of knitting a scarf in one colour with a motif on it in another. I have only ever knitted in rows of different colours ie bringing in the new colour at the start of a row.  If I am knitting in a motif/design, do I just carry the wool across the back of the design

Disclaimer - if that does not make sense I am happy to try and say it again

16/06/2010 at 17:40

It makes sense!

If I've understood properly, you're knitting something like 10 stitches of red, followed by 5 of black, then 20 of red, yes?

So for this, you have two balls of red, and a small one of black. Knit your red, start the black by leaving a long end, then work the black, then start the second red. For your next row, do the red, then before starting the black, twist it once around the red wool (like crossing it at the back of your work) then work the black. Do the same for the red at the end. You just need to twist the colours once so you don't get a hole iin between the different sections. If you carry the red across the scarf behind the black, you risk holding it too tightly and bunching up the scarf.

For a proper explanation, google "intarsia"

If you were doing something in checks eg 2red 2 black right across the work, you would carry the out of use colour behind the colour you're using. For short areas, there's less risk of bunching, but you will generally end up with a slightly tighter finished piece.

Hope that helps.

16/06/2010 at 17:47

Kwilter - I am trying to knit a dalek design into a scarf, so it's one colour and not necessarily blocks, but I guess the theory is the same.

And yes, the tension issue is worrying me

Thanks for the info tho as it has confirmed what I was suspecting (but did not know about the twisting to prevent holes)

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
17/06/2010 at 05:48

Schminkee - I've not forgotten about my little project and have sourced some nice wool, I've been a  litle busy, but it's on my list of "things to do".

Lovely cross stitch Beebs

17/06/2010 at 07:44
Thanks Sue, need to finish the blue tit I have had on the go for several years.
17/06/2010 at 08:25

I've got a cross stitch project I started in 1999, I was into Paula Vaughan Designs, so it's a rustic fence post, with lots of flowers and a straw hat.

17/06/2010 at 09:58
Kwilter
19/08/2010 at 09:27

Any updates, folks?

This is mine

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/200439/Gallery/Cross_stitch.jpg

19/08/2010 at 09:33

Broken elbow has put all on hold, which is a shame as I'd just got my mojo back

As said on FB, I am amazed by the fine count, you get such stunning detail

181 to 200 of 493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.