a thread for knitters

See pirates, it IS a knitting club!

21 to 40 of 493 messages
11/03/2010 at 15:14
Our local John Lewis has a fairly good wool selection but I tend to go to a small very old-fashioned drapery in a little market town outside the city for my stuff as parking is easier.  There is another wool shop in the city but I've not been to it yet.  But you're right Wilkie, yarn used to be sold in loads of places now you have to hunt it down
11/03/2010 at 15:17

There's one shop in town that sells nice wool, the local market sells bazaar type wools, and the co-op seems to be reducing what they stock. I make my hubby drive me 25 miles to a market town which has a wool shop and a quilt shop on the same street...heaven!

Beebs, I looked at your LYS website...it's lovely.

Wilkie, how dare they!! You'll have to be Wilkieie

11/03/2010 at 15:23
It is lovely, Kwilter, I know Maxine and Catriona through school and usually pop in for a squish if I'm passing
11/03/2010 at 15:41
Beebs- I still have my needlepoint  frames stacked up in the living room, but I don't do it as often as I used to.
Whatever happened to your Captain Jack pattern?
11/03/2010 at 15:43
moomoo wrote (see)
Beebs- I still have my needlepoint  frames stacked up in the living room, but I don't do it as often as I used to.
Whatever happened to your Captain Jack pattern?

In the unfinished pile moomoo along with a few others 

Its 4 weeks until Charlotte's birthday, perhaps I should get him out and finish him, only 5 years after I started 

Edited: 11/03/2010 at 15:44
11/03/2010 at 18:25

Can I join this thread.  I don't knit that often, but I do a lot of cross-stitch

And I am looking for someone with a knitting machine who may be able to knock me up a scarf.  Any takers?  Pleeeeeeease.

11/03/2010 at 18:29

Can't help you there Schmunkee, I'm strictly a needles knitter.

I've done a few cross-stitch and a couple of tapetries but I'm not at all talented at either.

11/03/2010 at 18:35

Not got a knitting machine either, sorry.

My walls are full of cross stitches, and lots of people have had cross stitched cards from me in the past. The threads are stacked in boxes in a big cupboard in my lounge. Just don't ask where all my quilting supplies are.

11/03/2010 at 18:55

Kwilts, this place that you go to for quilting supplies and wool, it wouldn't happen to be close to Dartmoor would it?

I was sorry to hear you didn't get your granny's knitting things mouse.

My nan died last year and my mum collected up all her knitting stuff and gave it to me. There wasn't much, just odds and ends of wool and some squares she had knitted. I've sewn them all together to make a blanket for our cat. There were a couple of nice pattern books too. One was from the 60's and I like to think that possibly she'd knitted me something from it when I was a baby.

I'm not knitting anything at the moment but I can feel the lure of the wool now....

11/03/2010 at 19:04

That's lovely small. I inherited my grandma's knitting needles, and she also had her sister's in her bag. Sadly I've ditched most of them now and a lot weren't useable. My auntie gave me a huge pile of baby patterns with all the names in of the people she'd knitted them for, including mine and my cousins.

The market town is indeed on the edge of Dartmoor, with a nice selection of coffee shops as well. I'm turning into a yarn snob as they've got lots of hand dyed and hand spun stuff there <drool>

11/03/2010 at 19:10

Is it Serendipity and Spin a Yarn, Kwilts?

11/03/2010 at 19:41
What's a pirate?
11/03/2010 at 20:17

This is a pirate...

http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/Images/storybook8.jpg

Sometimes seen on these...

http://bikehugger.com/images/blog/bike_knitting-thumb.jpg

11/03/2010 at 20:19
well done small! Are you in CID by any chance?
11/03/2010 at 20:22

Lol, no I'm in BT!

11/03/2010 at 20:50
Ah! That explains why you knew where I was describing.
iron fraggle    pirate
11/03/2010 at 20:57
I knit ---------------------->>>
11/03/2010 at 21:00

My Nan knitted all the clothes for my Tiny Tears so I never got rid of her.  She's still in the loft with all her lovely outfits, including hats, gloves and bootees.

12/03/2010 at 08:29
Mouse I was given a Tiny Tears for my birthday when I was about 6 or 7. My mum was on the telephone to my grandma, which was mounted on the wall at the bottom of the stairs as was the thing in those days. I ran upstairs to bed and fell over, sobbed and screamed,mum was convinced I'd done smoething awful, I hadn't. TT head had come off and I was devastated and terrified.
12/03/2010 at 08:48
KK, not the company BT
21 to 40 of 493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.