a thread for knitters

See pirates, it IS a knitting club!

401 to 420 of 493 messages
14/01/2012 at 12:19

Hopes Kwilter appears to help TP if needed.

14/01/2012 at 12:25
I won't be starting it until tomorrow at the earliest.  I have another cowl scarf to finish first.
14/01/2012 at 17:23

Wow Schmunkee, that is fantastic!

24/01/2012 at 10:33
Lidl has sock yarn in stock and some soft cotton and pompom yarn, the sock yarn is a cotton,superwash wool and polmaide mix. I've bought some to make a baby blanket. 4 50g balls for £4.99 apparently enough for 2 pairs of socks.
25/02/2012 at 15:11

I've been given a pattern for a twisted scarf by the lady at my LYS.

I've hunted Ravelry but can't find the pattern and I'm a bit stumped as to how I will be able to finish it off. 

She called it Twirly Scarf

Cast on 15 stitches 

Knit 2 stitches turn and knit 2 back
Knit 4 stitches turn and knit 4 back
Knit 6 stitches turn and knit 6 back
Knit 15 across the row

Repeat. 

She warned me he bottom bit would look like rabbit ears but I'd sew them up. She couldn't remember how to finish it off and I can't work out how I'll be able too. 

Help.

Thank you 

25/02/2012 at 18:26
25/02/2012 at 20:03
I did something similar with a bit of handspun, I just cast off at the end and left them. Maybe you could stitch the rabbit ears together.
26/02/2012 at 11:30

Thanks both.

I found a similar pattern on Rav, Schmunkee, only difference being that you do the 8,6, 4 rows only once and it specifically says you just cast off and it works. 

27/02/2012 at 18:01

Calling Beebs, Kwilter, and TP...

I am admitting defeat and packing up my cross stitch stuff primarily due to fading eyesight, but also because I do no longer have the wall space to hang the finished articles.  My mind is turning to knitting.

I can cast on, knit, purl, and cast off and I can just about make heads and tails out of a knitting pattern.  My project from earlier on a circular needle has been put to one side as i am not very good with that or carrying wool across the back.

I have looked through Ravelry and, being a Dr Who geek, I have fallen in love with Amy Pond's scarf or Rose Tyler's fingerless gloves.  I am pretty certain that the scarf is beyond me at the moment but I was wondering what you thought of the gloves as a project for a novice ie the cabling etc

Thanks

Edited to add - it's obviously an American site.  How do I know what the UK equivalents are for the brands and yarn types?

Edited: 27/02/2012 at 18:06
27/02/2012 at 18:42

My first thoughts:

Rose Tyler's mitts: Nice pattern! I might queue this for one of my Christmas knitted gifts. Practice the cabling before you go out and buy wool at £15 a ball. Gloves are often done on dpns, again, it might be worthwhile to have a practice with some cheaper wool as you can sometimes get looser stitches where you change needles. It's made with double knitting wool, so widely available in the UK

Amy Pond scarf: Tension's less important on a scarf than something that has to "fit". The cables and lace would make it a challenge if you've not done them before. The chart is clear to read and I like the option of following written instructions. Sport weight wool, personally I'd sub DK or aran depending on what I could buy.

I'd use a solid or semi solid yarn for either project rather than multi colour as the cables will show better. Hope that helps, and doesn't sound too patronising (some patronisinhg is good, just not too much )

27/02/2012 at 18:55

Not patronising at all Kwilts as I have no idea of the expertise needed to complete these tasks.

I realised the dpns when I looked at another pair of mitts on Ravelry so have carried on searching.

Now I have found this which I am seriosuly considering as there are plenty of youtube clips to help me

Only thing is, I have now made two scarves so dont really want a third but as one scarf was Rio Can Can and the other has been fisherman's rib, I suppose I could justify another one on the grounds of learning

27/02/2012 at 22:30

No idea about how to do cable but love first scarf.Have learnt short rows,which sound scary but are pimps

This latest link is gorgeous!

05/03/2012 at 22:50

So, I went to Hobbycraft at the weekend and bought this book together with a ball of 3-ply and 3.25mm needles.

I am doing eyelets and forming a diamond.  I am doing the ones that slope from left to right ok, but not the ones sloping from right to left.  I think its something to do with my 'skpo' in that I am not passing the correct stitch over.

I can see that the yarn forward creates an increase which the pass over then cancels out but which stitch is actually passed over.  The slipped stitch should be the second stitch on the right hand needle, but with the yarn forward it becomes the third stitch.  So is it the second or third stitch which is passed over

Any help and advise is wecome and I don't mind being patronised

Oh, and would I be better off doing it on bigger needles with DK wool until I am happy I can do the pattern?

iron fraggle    pirate
06/03/2012 at 15:23

it's always the slipped stitch that is passed over (ie the one not knitted), so if there's slip1, knit1, psso, then it would be the 2nd stitch on the right needle; but if it was slip1, yo, knit1,psso the it would indeed be the 3rd stitch on the right needle that you pass over.

you were correct, and I hope that wasn't remotely patronising

iron fraggle    pirate
06/03/2012 at 15:24
oh, and your second point, it may help having a practise with dk and bigger needles, i don't as I'm a bit mmore 'jump  in and see how it goes' kind of knitter lol
11/03/2012 at 21:08

Thanks Fraggle et al

I realised my tension was slightly too tight making the 'pass slipped stitch' difficult.  Have loosened tension and now all is clear.

Below is my attempt at just getting familiar with the pattern.  I have also added beads to see how that works

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/200439/gallery/knitting_1.jpg?width=209&height=350&mode=max

I have now cast on again with a border each side of reverse stocking stitch and am going to turn it into a scarf until I am really comfortable with the pattern

I do have to say that is nicer doing more than K1 P1, but I find I lose my way in the pattern quite a lot.  I have lost count of the number of times I have unpicked it all and started again.  I am afriad I dont have the knowledge or experience to work out exactly where I have gone wrong and how to correct it.  It seems far  easier at this stage to undo it all and start again

11/03/2012 at 21:17

That's very pretty Schmunks

The knowing how you've gone wrong bit comes with time and confidence.  In no time you'll find yourself 'knowing' what comes next just by looking.

I have just finished a lacey patterned scarf in very thin wool.  I'd a real struggle at first remembering how the holes worked out but I soon got the hang of it.  Just need to wash it and pin it out now to get it into shape.  Then start another one as my mum saw it and wants one too

11/03/2012 at 21:31

Here it is as I am working it now.  3-ply wool on 3.25mm needles.  I have never done anything so fine before

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/200439/gallery/knitting_2.jpg?width=350&height=209&mode=max

11/03/2012 at 21:35
That is about the same thickness as my sock wool.  The mohair mix the scarf is done is like hairy thread.  Took me ages to get used to it and I caught it with my nail .... that'll be an unscheduled hole in the scarf then
11/03/2012 at 22:08
Erm, hello?
can any running knitter join this thread?
I've just finished a rather large blanket for my son that had lots of scary terms in it.thank heavens my mum knits. I'm doing fairly basic squares to make one for my daughter cos apparently she doesn't remember all the ones I made for her as a baby. (wonder why!)
401 to 420 of 493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.