a thread for knitters

See pirates, it IS a knitting club!

81 to 100 of 504 messages
M...eldy    pirate
13/03/2010 at 18:39
Currently trying something new with some chunky knitting wool ... bit of an experiment and its not knitting,  my mother gave up trying to teach me that!

Ribbon Embroidery is very pretty tho, have a few yet to start and a few finished somewhere around the family !
13/03/2010 at 18:47

I'm currently knitting a jumper which, when finished, will come half-way down my shins. After freezing my buns off all winter, I figured it was a good way to get rid of the wool I won't use and keep cosy at the same time. It's mustard yellow at the moment. Can't remember what that wool was for originally.

I also dabble in cross-stitch and crochet but I can't seem to get the hang of the tension in crochet, so things don't work out right and I can't wear anything I've made - too much of a 'home-made' look. And who wants a crocheted bikini anyway? I made some nice cross stitch things for the seating at the table this Christmas which nobody took any notice of except my mum and sister. But it kept me amused for about a month.

I've done some dress-making too (curtains and trousers and stuff) but I'm rubbish at that too, though it's probably nothing some classes, time and patience couldn't fix.

Why can't I win the lottery and not have to work?

M...eldy    pirate
13/03/2010 at 18:48
I get given all the coats and rugs to mend from the stables ....  I apparently do have my uses !!
13/03/2010 at 18:55

Beebs - No, it's a complete mystery as to what happened to those. I shall have a rumage in my button tin later to see if I can find 2 matching buttons again.

LN - Love it!

Meldy - That's a gawjuss kitty!

Azacaya - I'd love to be able to crochet too, my granny taught me how to do a chaim about a million years ago but I've not done any since.

Lol at crocheted bikinis. My MiL once knitted her OH a pair of swimming trunks. They stetched to enormous proportions when he got them wet!!  Not a good look

M...eldy    pirate
13/03/2010 at 19:01
One of my future projects is to make a button handbag ... I am sure I can put something together with a charity shop rummage !
13/03/2010 at 19:03

I taught myself to crochet using a Ladybird book.

I don't think the crocheted bikini is for wearing to the pool, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should start a thread about it?

M...eldy    pirate
13/03/2010 at 19:04
I'm still waiting for my knitted Tri suit  
13/03/2010 at 19:06
Knitted Tri suit, LOL! Remember to put plenty vaseline on all yer bits!
14/03/2010 at 11:09

Hope it doesn't sag too much.

I finished a sock last night, but made a mistake on the toe shaping, so I'll have to re-do that bit. Already cast on and started the second one before I realised, so hope to do that a bit better.

14/03/2010 at 11:19
Meldy

I'm, intrigued by what you are doing with your chunky wool

Small a mystery

Aza you'd need to line the peep hole bits up carefully

Kwilter you are a knitting demon
14/03/2010 at 15:28

Aza - I had a knitted bikini, but that was as a child when, frankly, it matters less. Pale blue with pink trim. And it didn't stretch when it got wet, but it did feel like it had been knitted from plastic string. Nice!

I know what yoe mean about wanting to try all these things, but real life gets in the way. I'm dabbling in making clothes for my god daughter and her tiny tears doll. She used to be mine, a present from my god-mother and mum made her a whole wardrobe of fabulous clothes. i can now do repectable gathers, but have trouble with zips

Cross stitch is just a matter of being able to count - or at least, it is the way i do it.

14/03/2010 at 15:50
HL I have visions of those plastic pan scourers, sounds very uncomfortable

I can still miscount with cross stitch
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
14/03/2010 at 16:03
Is knitting the new pipesmoking?
14/03/2010 at 16:04
knitting is the new rock and roll and sex and drugs, Barly
14/03/2010 at 21:38
And to prove it, I've just finished knitting a pair of socks
14/03/2010 at 21:42
Which presumably you knitted whilst taking drugs and having sex? Careful with those needles
14/03/2010 at 21:43
I am taking my needles and new yarn on the train with me tomorrow.  Gawd help anyone sitting next to me who encroaches on my knitting space.  I shall practice my best stern glare.
14/03/2010 at 21:48
I find it best never to annoy someone armed with pointy sticks
14/03/2010 at 21:49

Ooooooo, I will post piccies of my cross stitch series.  Had a phone call from my framer last week to say that they last one is framed and ready for collection.

Does anyone here do/have done bobbin lace making?  I used to about 15 years ago and still have all the bits and pieces in the attic.

14/03/2010 at 21:50
Never tried bobbin lace, but have admired it. I can tat.
81 to 100 of 504 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.