a thread for knitters

See pirates, it IS a knitting club!

161 to 180 of 493 messages
28/05/2010 at 17:50
M...eldy wrote (see)
I cant help with the knitting Q's

Of course you can't Melds.  It's not a knitting club for you  

Funny how it all comes back to you.........My mum taught me to knit when I was about 12.  Did not have to google in the end.  Remembered you just knit the same stitch twice. 

But that still does not mean I have not already ripped it off the knitting needles and started again

M...eldy    pirate
28/05/2010 at 17:59
My mum taught me and a friend to knit and I can do rows and rows and rows and rows and rows and rows ........

Guess what she never taught us to do?
28/05/2010 at 18:02
Cast off?
28/05/2010 at 18:02
You're right Schmunks, knit the stitch but don't do the slipping onto the other needle bit, then knit into the back of it
M...eldy    pirate
28/05/2010 at 18:03
cast off and turn corners and all the stuff that doesnt end up with a scarf on a knitting needle !!
28/05/2010 at 18:19

TP - I knew I had forgotten something as I was just left with a big loop when I purled the next row.  Have undone it three times now and also trying it on normal DK wool until I get it right.  It's not doing the fluffy wool much good keep knitting and unravelling it.

Were you also told to knit into the back of the stitches when you cast on?  That's another thing I remember my Mum telling me, but not sure whether that's one of 'her things'.

LOL @ Melds

28/05/2010 at 18:37

Sorry this is becoming a bit memememememe

TP - Thanks for the tip about knitting into the back of the 'increase' stitch.  I have now done 6 rows and it's starting to take shape. 

Another thing, does everyone else slip the first stitch of every row or is another of my Mum's 'things'?

28/05/2010 at 18:40

I only do this if I am going to have to pick up stitches along the edge, like for the heels of socks and suchlike.

I don't knit into the back of stitches when casting on but I know people who do.  I have no idea what difference it makes.

I shall be on the sofa with my sock and a G&T all evening so no problem helping out if you get stuck again Schmunkee

28/05/2010 at 19:22
Cheers TP.  The next step was to do 21cm of stocking stitch so I have cast off using DK.  I am gonna start all over again with the 'proper' wool.
28/05/2010 at 20:02
OK, I have now cast on the 8 with the proper wool, increased at each end of every knit row til I had 16 stitches, and now I am doing stocking stitch for 21cm.  Found tension was quite hard at the start but now it's coming good
28/05/2010 at 20:33

Soon have one cosy foot Schmunkee

I am charging along the foot bit of a sock.

28/05/2010 at 20:35

I love knitting socks now TP. I'm doing a pair that have come out in stripes for H.

28/05/2010 at 20:43

I use that self patterning wool that comes out looking a bit Fair Isle-ish pattern.  This pair is blues and purples but I got some which is greens/grey/orange today for the next pair.

Everyone is having socks in with their Christmas present from me this year

28/05/2010 at 20:47
I am having fun now , esp when the pattern says 'intermediate'.  But I have read on to the slipper upper
28/05/2010 at 20:55
Don't worry about that Scmunks, just carry on enjoying the bit you're doing.  If you're really fretting about it, scan in the pattern and email it to me and I'll have a look at it .... and then I'll forward it on to Kwilter who's the real expert!
28/05/2010 at 21:03
28/05/2010 at 21:07

Should be a  Kwilter.  You're the real knitting guru experty type person. 

I just get things to turn out looking how they should just by luck and knowing when to improvise.

30/05/2010 at 12:23
Good news.  Have knitted the sole and the upper and it was easier than I was expecting.  The wool is a faff to cast on and increase stitches, but looks great in stocking stitch. Just need to knit some ears and make a pom pom then I have one completed mouse slipper.
08/06/2010 at 14:28

I did finish my slippers, Kwilts, some time ago actually but have only just got around to photographing them.

Slippers mark 2

How are the projects coming along then?

08/06/2010 at 15:50

Small - I'm struggling to see where you put your foot into the cute pirate-y kitten  

I'm just getting back on track with a cross stitch Afghan for a friend's child. About 3/4 of the way there, G, Q, L, W and Y left to stitch.

On the list is a quilt to finish, curtains and cushions for the spare room and I'm trying to plan the next birth sampler. I'm one child behind on my cousin's production rate - I've told her to slow down, so I can keep up! I'm thinking something along the lines of some flower faries - she's called Grace.

161 to 180 of 493 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.