Accidents - What have you broken and how?

Most serious? Most funny?

101 to 120 of 153 messages
Nam
18/11/2007 at 13:56

Burnt forehead falling on heated towel rail while putting knickers on in bathroom.

Genius!!!!

18/11/2007 at 13:57
Squirrels: the animal of choice when trying to explain unexplainable injuries
18/11/2007 at 13:58

Wish I'd seen the squirrel one!

KK, I unsuccessfully tried to rearrange my hair to cover the forehead burn too!

gingerfurball    pirate
18/11/2007 at 14:51

I've never had anything broken thank God but we've had some spectaular injuries come into our clinic (MrGFB is an Osteopath)

He has a bunch of guys he calls the 180 club...3 men he was treating concurrently who had broken/dislocated one of their feet so badly they were facing in the wrong direction...backwards...in totally unrelated accidents!

A guy at the minute who had a digger bucket fall on him and broke his leg in 8 places.

A BSB motorcyclist who came off the bike and lost all the skin off his feet...

Another BSB rider who came off his bike on a race and was hit from behind by another speeding bike....serious back injury but got him back riding again (won a championship)

Needless to say MrGFB has a very strong stomach!

gingerfurball    pirate
18/11/2007 at 14:56
...yes you can!!
18/11/2007 at 14:59
Is Mr KK a paramedic?
gingerfurball    pirate
18/11/2007 at 15:05
aw...I didn't realise...sorry....
18/11/2007 at 15:09

Interesting job kk, though not for the faint-hearted I imagine.

I've seen a good range of gruesome injuries on field and in clinic but no deaths.

A friend I went to uni with trained to be a paramedic - she had a great one-liner when blokes asked her what she did - "I see dead people" That would usually sort the wheat from the chav (sic).

18/11/2007 at 15:09

Nothing really to compare to that.

I did tread, bare-footed on a drawing pin when I was a cub scout. It would've hurt a lot less if I'd just i8mmediately took it out, instead, I jumped around for five minutes screaming "OW!"

At a similar age I managed to set fire to a pair of plimsolls using a fan-heater. Good experiment that one. 

18/11/2007 at 15:11
LOL BCDB! were you wearing the plimsolls?!
18/11/2007 at 15:14

No, thankfully!

I'd managed to get them wet, thought I would get in trouble, so decided to dry them out byputting them next to a fan heater on maximum heat. Went into the kitchen to get adrink, came back ... "ARGH!", acrid smoke everywhere.

gingerfurball    pirate
18/11/2007 at 15:29

I put my head through a window of the caravan we were staying in for our holidays!!  I looked out the door and the wind caught it and swung it closed...I didn't react in time!    Plus I set my hair on fire using the gas grill!...now if there was a thread on how many stupid things you have done thats another matter!

18/11/2007 at 15:35

I got my fingers in the dog's choke chain once and it decided tpo go back indoors. The more I tried to get the dog not to move the more it moved.

Fliiping painful. 

18/11/2007 at 15:39

Like it gfb!

Someone I know put her springer spaniel in the back of the car and noticed throughout the journey how still the dog was sitting, instead of running around the backseat etc. Turned out she'd trapped the feathery bits of its flappy ear in the car door so the poor thing couldn't move!

At a concert once I got my hair entangled in a guy's leather jacket who was standing behind me - he zipped up his jacket complete with my then waist-length hair

18/11/2007 at 15:57

Just been talking about this thread down at the Brighton 10k and it reminded me of another animal related one - I tripped over a dead badger when I was out running one morning. How did I not spot that???

Most serious accident though was a car crash when I was 17 - I was sat in the back and a car came onto the roundabout at 70mph (apparently he didn't realise there was a roundabout there) and hit the side of the car where I was sat. Just remember seeing the bonnet inches away from em and thinking this is it. Woke up in hospital a week or so later with badly broken left leg, three broken ribs, punctured lung, fractured pelvis and skull. Still on the bright side, the compensation paid the deposit on my first flat! 

18/11/2007 at 16:07

You must've been on the naughty a long, long time KK

18/11/2007 at 16:07
Oh, forgot I dislocated my jaw in the accident too - cos I got thrown across the car as I didn't have a seatbelt on. But the firemen said later that if I'd been strapped in, I'd porbably be dead. My Mum and Gran who were in the front seats walked away without a scratch!
18/11/2007 at 16:08

"naughty step"

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/11/2007 at 16:21

Not my own misfortune but a mates who I was with at the time. 

Two mates and I were going to visit a friend in Southampton, I was driving they were drinking heavily!  Pi$$ stop number 1080948 was somewhere near Southampton railway station, my mate paul jumped over a 1 foot high wall to no doubt find a convienient spot to relieve himself.

After 10 minutes had passed and still no sign of him I went to look, there he was lying in agony having fallen the 30 odd foot the other side of the wall, lucky sod only fractured ankle.

I dont know how I manage to be one of the clumsiest accident prone people yet have never had any serious accidents, only broke my first bone at age of 36

gingerfurball    pirate
18/11/2007 at 17:13

Forgot about MrGFB...(good old Norn Iron!!) during the Northern ireland troubles MrGFB's family home was near a bit of a hotspot.  There had been rioting near the end of his street and the family were looking out the front door to see if things were ok or should they get out...just then the army came in and started trying to sort things out...MrGFB was shot in the side of the head with a rubber bullet.  He was taken to hospital where her nearly lost his eye (and suffers persistant migraines to this day.)

101 to 120 of 153 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.