Accidents - What have you broken and how?

Most serious? Most funny?

141 to 153 of 153 messages
19/11/2007 at 22:10

Finished my finals in the rain in Scotland and in a fit of glee (maybe after a bottle of pretend champagne) ran down a hill with my crush of the moment - slipped and broke my elbow - much merriment as post-exams party drove me to casualty and casualty staff were asked whether the painkillers prescribed for me would interfere with my planned alcohol intake....

Don't you just love students?

Blisters    pirate
19/11/2007 at 23:52

The first car my Mum bought from new was a Metro. Very practical. She kept it for ages and then we kids became teenagers and students and started to drive.

I borrowed it one day (it's OK, it had plenty of fuel in it) and was taking my girlfriend to meet some mates. At one of those acute angled T junctions I set off for a gap in the traffic, except that the car in front didn't. One clanged bumper, but the other car was old and heavy and they couldn't see any damage. But what to do about the Metro? Arriving at my mates, we decide to nip over to Sheffield, buy a bumper, fit it, and thereby have a jolly good blokesy afternoon. To this day Mother doesn't know.

Sister managed to borrow the car on extended loan to take to Uni. Extended as in perpetuity. She pulled up at this hick little forecourt and got confused by the pump that said Unleaded/Diesel. Yup, she topped off the petrol tank with diesel. By crikey it didn't half smoke for a few hundred miles. She called me to ask for advice. Not liking my first answer, we agreed that she should drive it and burn out as much of this 2-stroke as possible, then fill it and dilute it away over a few tanks full. To this day Mother doesn't know.

A few years prior I was painting my Airfix models on the outdoor step, and spashed a bit of enamel paint on the concrete. The more I wiped, the more red the step became, so I painted the whole step. Mother knew.

21/11/2007 at 15:17

When i was 13 years old i was out for a run with a friend who was much faster than i. I crossed a busy country road and was hit by a car at 60 mph. Broke left leg in 4 places, left a dead patch on my right leg (that i still cant feel anything on to this day), cracked my skull, broken ribs, severe laserations on back, face, arms all over really.

Took about 6 months to fully recover. Oddly enough i stopped running for a few years after that!

21/11/2007 at 15:19

ps. the guys car was a right off. thankfully i went over the bonnet and not under otherwise id been fertilising the daisys right now.

21/11/2007 at 15:28

Was in a car accident when I was 26 which is squillions of years ago now.

14 fractured ribs (flail chest)

fractured left humerus.

Fractured right scapula

4 fractures of the pelvis

Broken foot (where the accellerator pedal went through).

7 months in hospital. Surgeon said I only survived because I was fit, thanks to running!

Started running again this year but don't intend to test the fitness theory again!!! 

21/11/2007 at 19:15

oooooooooooooooooh

this has GOT to be a thread for me

collar bone, falling out of bed, when I was ickle

L5 veterbra fractured, twice.  once falling off a pony, and then again getting crushed under a tree by another horse

shoulder in three places, thrown off a horse, after getting back on after being thrown off once already

finger, requiring pinning in an op, dragged by a horse

rib - crushed by a horse

toes - countless breaks,  trodden on by horses

jaw and teeth - head first over the handlebars of a bike, courtesy of a pot hole

21/11/2007 at 20:46

Loon

I get the impression horses are dangerous beasts... 

21/11/2007 at 21:06

I needed this thread! Have laughed so loud the kids are now awake.

Not much to report injury wise here.

Broke 3 toes when pregnant by clipping the door frame, winter and flipflops dont work too well and no painkillers.

Tore a disk in my back when I sneezed, off work for 2 months.

When copying Kenny Everet "All in the best possible taste" I gave myself a black eye.

I think I'l snigger at the burning of forehead on radiator whilst putting on knickers for a few days yet!

Blisters    pirate
23/11/2007 at 00:00

Of course I've been stupid enough to break bits of me, but I don't like gore. The construction industry produces enough injuries and deaths, so when the wife wanted to watch Casualty I had to escape into the garage. An urgent handbrake to grease or something.

Which reminds me of the typical sort of garage escapade, when clearing old underseal off the bottom of the car. It's on blocks, so quite safe, and I'm lying on my babk under it, wearing goggles and a boiler suit. Only the goggles steam up easily, so periodically remove them for cleaning. That's when the grit falls off the car into my eye. And like a game of ping pong I react by leaning forwards only to head butt the car. Instantly recoil from that and crack into the concrete floor, and recoil to head the car again.

I think MG stands for Many Grazes.

31/01/2008 at 11:50

One morning after coming down stairs I stubbed my toe on an excercise bike my ex wife had stored in my hallway, whilst moving. Turned out I'd broke my little toe and teh one next to it. Half my foot turned black That'll teach me to wear slippers in the house.

Had 6 weeks before the Stockport 10 Miler and ended up with about 4 weeks to train for it!

31/01/2008 at 12:34

I'm still laughing at the Squirrel one at the start of this thread

I once impaled myself in the knee with a fishing hook.  Because it was barbed I had to thread it through the flesh to get it out.  Very hurty. 

31/01/2008 at 12:54
  • Dislocated shoulder - fall coming off Scafell Pike in a fell race
  • Broken ribs - ditto on Skiddaw
  • Cracked ribs - kicked by a sheep (yes it was one of mine)
  • Slipped on ice and fell into water trough knocking myself out and almost drowning (rescued by youngest daughter)
  • Stitches in right hand after getting bitten by one of my own dogs (it was after the rat that was already hanging off my hand)
  • Occupital haemmorage (thats a bleed on the brain) after falling down a disused mine shaft whilst out training.
31/01/2008 at 12:56

I have broke a fair few bones

Most of these from when I used to race Moto-x bikes.

collarbone, ribs, left wrist twice (once complete carpal dislocation which required wiring) I have permanent pins in my left index finger also I have broke  left hand, left thumb, right wrist twice. I always had a habit of putting my hands out in front of me when getting chucked off the bike which gave me a lot of wrist/hand injuries.

if you brake both your wrists at the same time I gaurentee you will be amazed how much you take things like the ability to wipe your own ass fro granted.

Most serious accident was a ruptured spleen - Moto-x agian - badly mistimed a double jump and hit the face of the second jump -  its a really unpleasant thing to have  - at one point I thought i was going to have all of my birthdays at once.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 153 of 153 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.