Adventurous vegetarian recipes

i'm so bloody bored of pasta and potatoes

1 to 20 of 45 messages
24/02/2011 at 14:50

Ok,

So it has to be said that I'm not the most 'adventurous' vegetarian where food is concerned.

You've have thought 9 years without eating dead animals, I'd have become adept at this..

I'm not fussy - I just know what I like and what I don't like and am lazy in trying new things.

So my main dinner staples go a little something like this, on a bit of a rotation:

- Pasta/pesto/mushrooms/sun dried tomatoes/balsamic & bread/salad
- Vege spaghetti (vegetables with dolmio, wholewheat spaghetti) & bread/salad
- Vege calzone (again, vegetables with basil and pineapple - odd but good) and salad
- Vege lasagne
- Jacket potatoes w/ mixed bean salad/leaves and cheese
- New potatoes (or roast potatoes), veg, stuffing (this is a bit like a roast I guess without the meat)

Although they are pretty tasty, I've eaten them so much that they've become a bit bland.

I've looked online for vege recipes but haven't found anything really good. And please don't suggest anything by Jamie Oliver - I can't stand him and his self-righteous preaching. It's a bit hypocritical seeing as he's a heffer himself.

And I don't like couscous, lentils or fake meat substitutes.

I'm thinking a gratin might be nice...

Edited: 24/02/2011 at 14:51
24/02/2011 at 14:58
do you like indian food?

i generally eat a vegetarian curry for lunch and dinner, ok some are made with lentils but a lot aren't. usually use greens / curly kale / sweet potato / chick peas / tomatoes or anything else that comes to hand

24/02/2011 at 15:03

I like bruschetta and falafel too - I forgot to add them to the list.

No, I'm not keen on Indian at all - in fact, the smell of it makes me feel sick.

I think maybe I need to just accept that there are only so many ways to cook vegetables and so many things that compliment them!

Never satisfied, am I?

24/02/2011 at 15:04

Chickpeas? Butter Beans?

Vege Moussaka

I know you dont like meat substitutes but tofu is not a substitute in the traditional sense in that it tastes nowt like meat. Its amazing fried or with chilli and ginger

Here's a tofu example: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/412629/ginger-sweet-tofu-with-pak-choi

Soup with amazing bread? I love making soup - especially pumpkin

Which reminds me butternut squash makes an amazing main course, especially in risotto nommmm

If you can make pastry then you can do amazing things with slices (like cheese and onion) and quiche

(am making myself hungry now )

24/02/2011 at 15:08

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/

there is a roasted butternut with goats cheese and tomotoey something or other in.

C'mon use your loaf the amount of carp you find on the net in other areas would have thought you could at least look for some recipes - just substitute the meat in many of the dishes for a pulse.

24/02/2011 at 15:09

Soup is a good idea, I like soup too

I think I've overlooked Jamie Oliver's stuff too - there are some marvellous looking recipes on there...

I think I might have mexican bean wraps tonight - that's a bit different isn't it, with sour cream chive dip mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

24/02/2011 at 15:10
Nick L wrote (see)

C'mon use your loaf the amount of carp you find on the net

Don't eat fish.
24/02/2011 at 15:12

Questions:

How good are you at cooking? Do you enjoy it and don't mind spending time over it, or do you want quick and easy to prepare meals? Do you eat beans/legumes? And am I right in remembering that you don't have a lot of dairy, and if so would you want dairy free recipes?

24/02/2011 at 15:18

I'm doing this one tonight - Pear and Celeriac Soup with some nice crusty bread

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/european/pear-j.html

The only diverion from the recipe is to use real cream or creme fraiche as I don't much care for soya cream

24/02/2011 at 15:19

1) Ok-ish when my boyfriend lets me in the kitchen... usually he just ends up making tea though - will shove some pasta in a pan and then do some chicken to go with it for him and some mushrooms for me

2) Time is never on my side!!

3) Beans/legumes - not really... I'm not overly keen on the taste but maybe with a sauce over them or something?

4) I'm not anti-dairy but can't stand the taste of milk. I eat cheese but only really like a nice mature cheddar - nothing exotic or fancy. And I'm not keen on eggs either but will eat them if they're cleverly concealed in something else

Are you some kind of vege meal generator now, Sarah?

24/02/2011 at 15:20
Thanks pony
24/02/2011 at 15:25
Devoted2Distance wrote (see)
Nick L wrote (see)

C'mon use your loaf the amount of carp you find on the net

Don't eat fish.

ha ha ha ha ahem.

get a slow cooker - you can make large batches of veggie casserole type things, have with spuds, or quinou (sp?). freeze what you dont use for future meals....which will save a lot of time.

Homemade pizzas are a piece of piss, and you have whatever you like.

There are plenty of easy yet nice recipes on that BBC link if you bothered to look.

24/02/2011 at 15:30

This goes down a storm with my mates and takes no time to make, obviously just leave out the prawns, replace with tofu, or even leave that out altogether, the packet of sauce is even on special in Waitrose at the moment. 

Pad Thai

Otherwise risotto is super easy, just read the back of one of the branded packs and it'll show you exactly what to do, you can add anything to a risotto.  Roasted veg, butternut squash, mushrooms....

If you look on the same website as the Pad Thai, it's Delicious Magazine and they have heaps of nice things.

24/02/2011 at 15:30

Hello!

I am not a veggie - my dad's a butcher, so I wouldn't get away with it even if I wanted to...but I have the *best* pizza recipe in the world.  It takes 20 mins from start to finish, and my mates have been known to use me as a take-away service. PM me if you want more details - although I don't do measuring

24/02/2011 at 15:31
BigPony! Blimey, it's been ages since I met you at Doggett's - how's you?
24/02/2011 at 15:33
Oh - and you can't beat a nice Aubergine Parmigiana and a rocket salad. 
24/02/2011 at 15:36

Hazard of the job

You don't like Indian food, so does that mean you're opposed to spices? Or is it a specific spice that you don't like? Or curries? Because there's a lot more to Indian cooking than curry

Vegetable chili (with or without beans added - good protein though, so recommended)
Vegetable bourguignon (like beef bourguignon but with lots of veges and no meat - very delicious)
Vegetable stir fry - add egg noodles/rice and some nuts
Risotto - needn't be time consuming and can incorporate pretty much whatever veg you like. A personal favourite is mushroom
Vegetarian kedgeree - substitute the fish for a smoked cheese (which doesn't taste cheesy but adds a nice smoky flavour)
Ratatouille
Soup - whatever your imagination can dream up (within reason of course...)

For a change from pasta, why not try bulgur wheat or quinoa?

There are thousands upon thousands of vegetarian recipes out there. You just have to be adventurous and actually try them...

24/02/2011 at 15:43

All sound delicious - thanks for the suggestions all

24/02/2011 at 16:02

Roasted vegetables such as squash, red peppers, carrots sweet potato, mushroom, aubergine, courgette, red onion. (harder veg will need to be in smaller chinks) Just bung them in a hot oven with some olive oil for about 45 minutes then spritz with balsamic vinegar. Really filling. Tastes even better cold.

Or just roast the red peppers in the oil with a red chilli and some chunky red onions. When cooked add them to a saucepan with vegetable stock and seasoning and blitz with a hand blender for soup.

Or do the same with the squash and the carrots.

Veg chilli: Aubergines, courgettes, tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of beans of your choice plus chillli powder. Dollop some sour cream and chives on top to tickle it up. Eat with or without rice.

Cous cous with sultanas, chickpeas grated carrot, maybe some walnuts and a nice dressing.

24/02/2011 at 16:05

Can you get a disciplinary for drooling at work?

1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.