Airfix - Son's Christmas Present

Girls' aren't supposed to do airfix!

1 to 20 of 51 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 11:32
HELP!!!

Gnome who is 8 has been given a 1:72 Airfix of Concorde for Christmas

Now I've looked at the instructions and yep it's gonna be a nightmare but I think we are up to the challenge but I do have 1 question!!

Now I have this sheet of graphics that get attached to the plane where highlighted but it doesn't give any further info!

Do we paint 1st then apply the graphics and how do we get them off and apply them! They aren't stickers so I guess they are like transfers but the instructions say nothing!

Please can anyone help this Pixie in distress!!

Cheers

Pixie
27/12/2005 at 11:41
Ooooh, Airfix kits!

<recalls many a happy hour with Muttley Jnr, before he was seduced by this Games Workshop warhammer nonsense>

Pix, sweetie - they're decals. They go onto the finished model (so if you're gonna paint, do that before decals). To use each one, cut round it then dunk it for a moment or two into a bowl of LUKEWARM water. The symbol will float off, whereupon you take it carefully (they crease and fold easily) and slide it, still soggy, into position on the model. Then allow to dry.

You could practise with a decal you think you might not need, or, if I recall, even some of the text on the sheet.

Enjoy!
27/12/2005 at 11:42
<searches the mental archives for airfix kit instructions from childhood>

The graphics are the last thing to go on the plane. It should be completed and painted first (or you can paint each part then assemble it, which can give a better finish)

The graphics are transfers so you use water to separate them from the backing paper. If I remember correctly, you float them in a saucer of water and the transfer will float off the backing paper. You then pick it up with tweezers or something similar and place it on the plane. Be careful then it doesn't fold up when you pick it it and use a bit of cotton wool to smooth it down. I think you might be able to use more water to move it slightly if it isn't in exactly the right place.

It's been a few years since I made an airfix kit so you might want to search on the net to make sure my intructions are correct.
27/12/2005 at 11:43
A good way of getting the decal out of the water is to let it stick to a finger, btw. Takes a bit of fiddle and faff, but your nipper will quickly get the hang.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 11:52
<hangs ignorant head in shame>
I knew some nice lads would come rescue me!!

Ok so paint, make decorate!

Cool!

Right
now it came with paint and acrylic and glue and some brushes but doesn't say how to clean them! Water OK?

Dad has kindly lent me a sharp knife and small bit of fine sandpaper but do I need anything else??

<wibbles at the idea!>
27/12/2005 at 11:57
Pix, Muttley Jnr tells me that paints for Airfix models are oil-based, so you'll need white spirit to clean the brushes. He says water will work, but it's nowhere near as good.
27/12/2005 at 11:59
White spirit to clean the brushes.
Matchsticks or toothpicks to apply the glue (Squirt a bit of glue onto a piece of cardboard then use a matchstick or a toothpick to apply it).
Patience!
27/12/2005 at 12:02
There used to be a really good modelling shop in Reading, in Harris Arcade by the station, called Rebed Troop. Thousands of kits, they had. But then they closed down <sniff>.

Me and Muttley Jnr made a great Hercules once, we had it hanging from his bedroom ceiling.

And all those tanks, planes and boats I made as a kid ....

<eyes mist over in nostalgia>
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 12:02
Patience??
Not sure either of us have that!

Fanks guys!
Mwah
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 12:04
this is our 1st
and possibly last!!
depending on how much of a mess we make
hubby is usless at making breaking or DIY stuff so it's my job!
27/12/2005 at 12:06
Ahhhhhh......

The memories

:o)

Hi Pix - You are going to have so much fun!!!!

I remember making the 1:72 Concorde as a kid..
..and that was %&*@ty years ago

;o)
27/12/2005 at 12:06
Airfix kits are great for quality time with kids. The box should have a difficulty rating on it, so if this one is too hard you can always find a beginner's model.

We used to do a couple of steps and then do something else, then come back to it. A fine way to while away a cold winter's evening. Even if the house ended up stinking of modelling glue after.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 12:08
why fanks Leon!
I think it may be a nightmare!
Off shopping tomorrow
will also get a cheap picnic table so I can leave this thing "in progress" in the conservatory as I suspect it won't be a 1 day job!
27/12/2005 at 12:08
The best one I ever made was a Canadian pick-up truck with a snowmobile in the back. My Dad and I spent hours working on it.

The key to making the kit look good, Pixie, is not too rush it. Prepare all the parts and paint them first. If Gnome isn't happy with any of them, paint them again. Then take great care with the glue because it will damage the paint. Glue the model in stages, making sure the previous section is dry before gluing any more bits onto it.

I hope it goes well :-)
27/12/2005 at 12:09
I made a few boats
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 12:10
it just says 8+ adult supervisor required Muttley!
I remember my dad spending hours (he stil does!) making model planes to fly so I hope it doesn't lead to that!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 12:11
gnome wants it made like yesterday!
27/12/2005 at 12:12
Mister W is right - and so is Muttley
Take your time with it and the finished article will be Gnomes pride and joy....
and it is brilliant for quality time
Lots of it - in small chunks

:o)
27/12/2005 at 12:14
I had a great selection of WWII planes all badly painted of course
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/12/2005 at 12:16
and now he wants to join the club!
he isn't too impressed with the "takes hours" bit mind!
1 to 20 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.