Alcohol in the UK

21 to 40 of 46 messages
20/09/2013 at 12:59
mattywarr wrote (see)

I'm 30 and still go out and get twatted. But I dont behave anywhere like the people on those sorts of shows.

Alcohol just exacerbates a wider scale problem - a general decline in respect and discipline with younger generations.

At 30 you ARE the younger generation

20/09/2013 at 13:03

At £3.99 a pint last night (I had one) I can't be having too many and besides, when I was a student I could drink 10+ and feel fine the next day. Now as I approach, well as I approach my next birthday, I feel as rough as anything if I have more than about three or four.

Spitfire was on 99p in a pint in 'Spoons near the bus stop home in the mid to late 90s before a wife, proper job and children came along there were many a night I missed the bus, don't recall that many brawls though. The odd top hat yes but not like what's on t'telly now.

20/09/2013 at 14:55

Can't blame 'em. Most people spend more on their tellies than anything esle and when all they see that it's ok to be semi-naked and perform simulated sex acts on stage in front of millions of under-age kids, then it' nosgreat surprise they turn to drink, drugs and violence when they find out that luxury lifestyle is just out of reach.

20/09/2013 at 14:56

i think this general lack of resepct for each other and oneself is down to shit role models. they should all be lined up against a wall and shot.

20/09/2013 at 15:23

This is hardly a new problem - gin was the choice of drink in the early 18th century and was thought to be the cause of serious social unrest in London until the Tippling Act of 1751 which effectively put the price of gin up by stopping the distillers from selling direct. Then there was absinth in France in the late 19th century.

20/09/2013 at 15:37
Snap! wrote (see)

i think this general lack of resepct for each other and oneself is down to shit role models. they should all be lined up against a wall and shot.

yes, we can all look back to 70s Top of the Pops for real family values and role models.

20/09/2013 at 15:38
Snap! wrote (see)

Can't blame 'em. Most people spend more on their tellies than anything esle and when all they see that it's ok to be semi-naked and perform simulated sex acts on stage in front of millions of under-age kids, then it' nosgreat surprise they turn to drink, drugs and violence when they find out that luxury lifestyle is just out of reach.

just out of reach?

20/09/2013 at 16:23

It's a constant source of amazement to me that so many people can't seem to find anything more imaginative (and cheaper) to do on a weekend than go out and get shit-faced.

kittenkat    pirate
20/09/2013 at 16:35
Peter Everitt wrote (see)

This is hardly a new problem - gin was the choice of drink in the early 18th century and was thought to be the cause of serious social unrest in London until the Tippling Act of 1751 which effectively put the price of gin up by stopping the distillers from selling direct. Then there was absinth in France in the late 19th century.

I'm going to be really impressed if you actually new that and didn't just Google it. I'm going to look up the tippling act now.

20/09/2013 at 17:04

What's this thing you call "Google"?

20/09/2013 at 17:14

There's a famous picture by Hogarth on the gin problem:

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/338242/gallery/gin_lane.jpg?width=350

20/09/2013 at 17:52

Under age drinking was a problem at the start of the 1900's, although they did leave school at 12-14.

20/09/2013 at 17:57

I think under age drinking was a problem when it was safer to drink beer then water

kittenkat    pirate
20/09/2013 at 17:59
Peter Everitt wrote (see)

There's a famous picture by Hogarth on the gin problem:

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/338242/gallery/gin_lane.jpg?width=350

I'm impressed he was sober enough to pay attention to the detail

Edited: 20/09/2013 at 17:59
21/09/2013 at 21:53
Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

I'm not much of a beer drinker these days. Can't handle the feeling of being bloated around the tummy. Only time I like one is after a long Sunday run on a hot day.  

bloated round the tummy?  feeling a bit grumpy too?  irrational?   you've got all the symptoms.

21/09/2013 at 22:03

I did see this programme and the two girls who were talking about buying three trebles and then were shown being totally off their faces were frankly hilarious to watch.  and yet they had no idea where they were or what was happening, so frighteningly vulnerable.

22/09/2013 at 11:00

I'm staying off the beer until after the Robin Hood Half Marathon next week.

22/09/2013 at 11:28

I hear that the beer goes stright to your head.

22/09/2013 at 13:48

But Rickster, it's not till next Sunday. 

Blisters    pirate
22/09/2013 at 22:13

One of the reasons why the beer houses in Victorian England were so popular, was because a lot of the workers' homes were, to be honest, complete hovels. Cellars housing two families, why? to increase the income of the 2 up 2 down property owner (or tenant). Diptheria and cholera were rife.

Where did I get this information from? Bolton archives. The local newspapers of the time. From researching family history. GGGrandfather ran a Beer House. Ah, those were the days. Child mortality, death in childbirth, industrial accidents, holidays at the discretion of the mill owner, filth, lack of vitamins. The need for 6 children.

21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.