Alcohol in the UK

1 to 20 of 41 messages
20/09/2013 at 08:13

Happened to see the first 10 minutes.... Thought it was a scream, and that all the clubs should be shut down....

I was at Old Trafford for the cricket last Sunday The bars were open from 10am. Lots of happy people but no trouble,  just seen on breakfast TV that because 2 local wendyball teams are playing each other on Sunday in Mancland all the pubs for a radius of 8 miles are being shut.

this therefore leads to the conclusion that intelligent people watch cricket and understand how to behave and cope with alcohol, and morons watch wendyball 

20/09/2013 at 08:37

I'm not much of a beer drinker these days. Can't handle the feeling of being bloated around the tummy. Only time I like one is after a long Sunday run on a hot day. 

20/09/2013 at 08:52

When I was young I used to go out and get twatfaced most weekends.  The world did not end.  I don't do it any more: though I was a little tipsy after a very naice dinner party last weekend don't you know.

What makes you think the rest of Europe is so different?  I once had the pleasure of a night out in Hamburg and there were more than a few who'd clearly had one over the eight.

20/09/2013 at 09:27

Isnt it usually Anna RW who starts threads like this?

20/09/2013 at 09:44

or vomining.

20/09/2013 at 10:03
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Happened to see the first 10 minutes.... Thought it was a scream, and that all the clubs should be shut down....

I was at Old Trafford for the cricket last Sunday The bars were open from 10am. Lots of happy people but no trouble,  just seen on breakfast TV that because 2 local wendyball teams are playing each other on Sunday in Mancland all the pubs for a radius of 8 miles are being shut.

this therefore leads to the conclusion that intelligent people watch cricket and understand how to behave and cope with alcohol, and morons watch wendyball 

Same could be send with rugby too. I don't think the problems with football are linked too alcohol, more the mindset of football fans. But some Sunday lunchtime matches can have the same problems and the same risk of trouble even though all day drinking is not involved. Equally countries that supposedly don't have the social problems the UK has with alcohol still have problems with football.

Edited: 20/09/2013 at 10:08
20/09/2013 at 10:09

If its not linked to alcohol with wendyball, why are Mancland plods shutting pubs for miles around ? 

20/09/2013 at 10:16

nanny state.

usual OTT policing.

20/09/2013 at 10:22

But they feel they need to do it, didn't have to do it round Old Trafford last Sunday, and I bet they don't round Welford Rd tomorrow 

20/09/2013 at 11:00

I have been at the cricket at Old Trafford and seen many a retard pissed up and start a fight. So cliched for Dave to bang on about wendyball it is boring.

Once had a group of Swedish guys over for a work placement trip and they very much painted a picture that in most cities in Sweden Saturday nights would be young people getting pissed with the odd fight or two. Also, remember being in Naples on a Saturday night and that was feckin scary with mad Italians pissed and starting fights all over the place.

Edited: 20/09/2013 at 11:01
20/09/2013 at 11:07

May be a cliche, but they didn't force the pubs to close did they ? 

20/09/2013 at 11:22

Dave the wendyball joke, which was Fat Budahs I think, is really losing its impact. It has become your Peter Kaye cheesecake line and you must let it go.

20/09/2013 at 11:26

Is it a joke for GMP to force pubs to close because of football matches ( I heard it called wendyball some 10 years before I knew FB existed) 

20/09/2013 at 11:54

I'm 30 and still go out and get twatted. But I dont behave anywhere like the people on those sorts of shows.

Alcohol just exacerbates a wider scale problem - a general decline in respect and discipline with younger generations.

20/09/2013 at 12:05

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/50272_22100364319_4610_n.jpg

A pint and a fight: a great British night

20/09/2013 at 12:40

The thing that gets me is the fact that these days if  you get so off your face and do daft things and can't remember what you did it is something to be proud of. On the rare occasions when I have had one too many  I feel embarrassed and ashamed not proud.

20/09/2013 at 12:51

When I left the army 2 years ago and started studying to do what I do now I still needed to earn money so I did security work at pubs and clubs, I did a bit of this in my early 20s so I had had a break of 12-15 years, I had noticed a big change in attitude not so much the drinking side I was no angel when I was younger and used to get into the odd fight and Friday and Saturday night was for one thing getting wasted and finding women, but I think the changes is just the way it's gone about now days and the lack of respect for each other especially amongst younger people and the way they conduct themselves towards the older generation 

20/09/2013 at 12:59
mattywarr wrote (see)

I'm 30 and still go out and get twatted. But I dont behave anywhere like the people on those sorts of shows.

Alcohol just exacerbates a wider scale problem - a general decline in respect and discipline with younger generations.

At 30 you ARE the younger generation

20/09/2013 at 13:03

At £3.99 a pint last night (I had one) I can't be having too many and besides, when I was a student I could drink 10+ and feel fine the next day. Now as I approach, well as I approach my next birthday, I feel as rough as anything if I have more than about three or four.

Spitfire was on 99p in a pint in 'Spoons near the bus stop home in the mid to late 90s before a wife, proper job and children came along there were many a night I missed the bus, don't recall that many brawls though. The odd top hat yes but not like what's on t'telly now.

20/09/2013 at 14:55

Can't blame 'em. Most people spend more on their tellies than anything esle and when all they see that it's ok to be semi-naked and perform simulated sex acts on stage in front of millions of under-age kids, then it' nosgreat surprise they turn to drink, drugs and violence when they find out that luxury lifestyle is just out of reach.

1 to 20 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.