Allotment News

201 to 220 of 1,307 messages
26/03/2009 at 22:32
kwilter...waddling less wrote (see)
Wonder if there's a gardening version of Fetch?

Sort of.  There's a woman on this forum who keeps rambling on about running
Blisters    pirate
26/03/2009 at 23:02

Brassica dammage: typically by cabbage white larvae (lge & sml), gooseberries get annihilated by sawfly. Pick 'em off if you are sad and addicted, but spray if you want to be effective. Of course there are preventive measures such as netting. (Or global DDT). I tried feeding the caterpillars to the pond fish but they weren't fussed and I wouldn't be surprised if the little bstds crawled out again. No, not the fish.

27/03/2009 at 08:39
I love butterflies but hate caterpillars- it's a real conundrum; what if I grow them some nasturtiums? Would they prefer those?
27/03/2009 at 15:09

Foxy Lady

purple sprouting is lovely and the caterpillllars eat the leaves rather than the broccoli bit. you have to wash and check it VERY well though.

vulnerable to pigeon damage but you can net it if that starts happening.  Just be vigilant and respond quick to whatever is attacking and you should be ok.  It is such an expensive veg it is well worth growing your own!  good luck

28/03/2009 at 09:38
Mine end up covered with whitefly every year, anyone got any suggestions apart from pesticides that sound so horrible on the instructions they may as well just write "do not use"?
28/03/2009 at 09:42

Tomato plants on the go and spuds chitting - will plant some out today I think - the spuds, that is.

The Rhubarb That Died appears to have been resurrected. Hallelujah!

28/03/2009 at 13:59

Afternoon all!

Sh1te weather we've been having up here! 

Spuds chitting nicely - think I might  plant some tomorrow.  Also got a load of onion sets in a Jiffy bag through the post from my mum, so they can go in soon.  Should really get on with the broad beans - I seem sooooo behind!

Don't think I'm going to do any brassicas this year.  Brussels sprouts were more or less a complete disaster last year (although actually the tops from the plants were delicious!) - just too much effort for me really.  Although I do love purple sprouting...

Have got loads of interesting-sounding heirloom varieties of various vegetables that I got from a seed catalogue - for most of these I don't have to worry about doing anything until April.  Roll on the Easter hols - far too much work for me right now to get out there!

28/03/2009 at 14:01

Somehow I never imagined Johnny B as being the gardening type, can't think why.

Is that not what rhubarb does?  Do you have proper rhubarb pots to force it along?

No idea about the whitefly but will ask my organic veg delivery peeps.

28/03/2009 at 14:11
Lady P- not doing anything until the Easter week, too cold to be bothered, and I need to be around to scare the cats off what they think is a new and oversized poo tray, otherwise it will all get dug up.  Must nip out a get some onion sets though.....................byeee
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
28/03/2009 at 16:44

Peas in pots in greenhouse

Money maker toms indoors in warm to sprout.

Will pop some lettuce in raised bed tomorrow.

Bliddy cat has sussed out my potato drills make good poo trays

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
28/03/2009 at 16:47
Hashette wrote (see)
Mine end up covered with whitefly every year, anyone got any suggestions apart from pesticides that sound so horrible on the instructions they may as well just write "do not use"?

Planting Nasturtiums in the greenhouse will prevent whitefly infestation.

Found this on Dr Greenfingers site

Blisters    pirate
28/03/2009 at 21:07

Only you get over-run with nastutiums, Nicko.

Father in Law heard that co-planting marigold in the toms acted as a sacrificial crop for the whitefly. With all the tomato feed he got a great crop of marigolds.

Personally, we use those yellow sticky fly papers. They are actually quite useful, especially if you go in and shake the plants, the pests fly up, head for the yellow and GOTCHA.

Yup catpoo in the potato holes. I send it back to where it came from. If I could stuff it literally then I would. Otherwise it's over the relevant fence.

28/03/2009 at 21:17
Sadly it's my cats Blisters, but I chuckle at the thought of lfying cat poo, where should I avoid?
Blisters    pirate
28/03/2009 at 21:21

The face end of the cat is generally OK.

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
29/03/2009 at 11:39

Same here, my bliddy cat too. The little fekker

If the Nastys are in pots they can be controlled as there not in the open like mine were .

29/03/2009 at 12:40
I only just put the rhubarb in and it promptly wilted and died. But a new shoot has emerged - will get some next year I reckon.
31/03/2009 at 13:12
Advice please. When is the best time to plant french bean seeds directly in the ground? Is it too early or have I missed the boat. I'm looking to plant the taller variety, not the dwarf type.
31/03/2009 at 13:47
too early for beans straight into the ground - it needs to warm up more yet so more likely May at least depending on where you live. but you can raise them in pots now and plant out when they've hardened off in a cold frame
Blisters    pirate
31/03/2009 at 17:45

I thought that the only reason we grew runner beans was because the children had already germinated them at school. The logic being that if they had some ownership they **might** even try eating them.

Anyway.
The first beets are now sowed. I've no intention of eating the beetroots, only harvesting the leaves for salads.

I also discovered from other sources that chard bolts in year 2, so I've sowed some more of that. Both are in the raised bed, under glass.

My plan is to raise carrots in a bucket of seed+potting mixed 50/50 with sand. Anyone tried this? Is the soil still likely to be a bit too rich?

31/03/2009 at 18:06

Not eating your beetroots?- criminal. harvest some when small, don;t even need to peel them. Put in foil with loadsa cloves of garlic and dollop with olive oil and balsamic and bake until tender. Oh boy YUM.

(It's a Jamie so the proper version will be on the net somewhere.)

I've got some orange beetroot seeds that I'm going to try this year and Mr FL wants me to grom purple carrots; world gone mad and all that!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.