Allotment News

21 to 40 of 1,307 messages
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
17/10/2007 at 11:38

Sheds are cool

17/10/2007 at 11:44
many a true word young Barly
17/10/2007 at 14:34

Apart from garlic and chinese salad stuff I'd not bother now. Put your energy into planning and preparing your soil.

We tend to let the chickens loose on our veg patch in winter, where they have a fine old time killing off all the slugs and doing some free manuring.

Then in spring I run over it with the tractor and harrow.

Dont forget not to manure where you're going to sow root crops, otherwise you'll end up with carrots that look like those ones you used to see Esther Ransen gurning at in Thats Life.

17/10/2007 at 14:38

cheers FR,

run over it with the tractor and harrow.

17/10/2007 at 15:23
Can you fit a harrow on your Chelsea Tractor M1?
17/10/2007 at 15:25

oh god yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i already checked

17/10/2007 at 15:47
Then in spring I run over it with the tractor and harrow.

not your average plot size then FR??
06/11/2007 at 13:59

Have just had the man from the allotment society on the phone - would I be interested in taking on half a plot? 

Apparently the lady who has the plot at the moment is struggling to keep the whole thing going as she is now on her own and wants to share.

The man from the allotment society thinks she and I would get on so am going to meet them on my way home from work at the pub - her suggestion not mine.

06/11/2007 at 14:03

go for it !!!!!!!

mine is only half a plot and it is more than enough to keep me going

06/11/2007 at 21:51

Yes, garlic and broad beans would be best.

Possibly try some japanese onion setts and see whether they work.

Plus put bits of old carpet over weedy bits to save on work in the summer. 

best veg to grow:

Spuds

Peas

Sweetcorn

Leeks

Onions

Rhubarb is a good investment as v little care needed.

Tomatoes - gardeners delight is v good. 

I always found brassicas tough except for sprouts, and carrots and beetroot were beyond me. 

06/11/2007 at 21:52

ooh mark

grow sprouts

i love sprouts

M...eldy    pirate
06/11/2007 at 21:58

Oooh

We have decided to have a 'plot' at the stables so I have carte blanche where to dig ....  the area is totally 100% organic which is an even better start and we have horse manure coming out of our ears

and we have a tractor and a harrow

all I need to do is find a suitable spot!!

07/11/2007 at 09:32

Am now the proud 'owner' of half an allotment.

The man from the allotment society was right and the current owner and I got on like a house on fire.  Am going to meet her at the plot at the weekend.

07/11/2007 at 10:00

we have horse manure coming out of our ears

Kinky

11/08/2008 at 08:52
One of the best things I've ever done.  We have enough strawberry jam to keep Mr G going for a year, raspberries, blackcurrants  and gooseberries in the freezer.  House full of sweet peas. Courgettes, broad beans and so many other goodies.  Freshly dug potatoes - a taste revelation. I've met some really lovely people.   Why didn't I do this years ago? Interesting idea from one of the older allotmenters - every time he takes produce home he weighs it and puts 30p per pound in a jar in his kitchen - means that his plot is self-financing.
11/08/2008 at 09:04

Hasn't gardening become retro cool all of a sudden???

I love my garden & I love sitting in my poly tunnel of an evening talking to my chillies,peppers,aubergines & water melons.

I also turned over 1/3 rd of lawn for extra veg production & built two large raised beds out of old scaffolding planks in area that just become a mess & a bit of dumping ground,it's now producing more carrots,radish & baby leeks than I can shake a stick at.

Your own spuds are truly a taste revelation just as Mrs G say's.

11/08/2008 at 10:36
I've been given some wooden pallets which Mr G is going to turn into compost bins.  What I like is the fact that everyone shares their money saving ideas and the fact that when it rains there is always a shed to shelter in with a cup of tea!!!!    As the guy on the plot next to me says - nicer that prozac and much more useful.
11/08/2008 at 12:03

Pallets for a compost bins are excellent Mrs G.

I've spent the weekend part burying large old yogurt pots,put an up turned plastic flower pot over the top(one with a few holes in) & 1/4 fill with cheapest nastiest beer you can get .

Slug traps,they work a treat & much better than putting down pellets or chemicals.

11/08/2008 at 12:37

Nice to read about other people on here growing their own veg.

We've been in our current house for just under two years, and I've given over our back garden to growing veg - in the past year I've converted it single-handedly from a weed-infested wasteland to my own little sanctuary, full of delicious things!  No chemicals used whatsoever in my garden; just a lot of satisfying hard graft.  Our garden is probably the size of about half an allotment.

Homegrown potatoes are an absolute revelation, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of the excitement of unearthing the spuds from the ground - my buried treasure!  The idea of going out, picking my own salad leaves, peas and broad beans and using them straight away in the kitchen is also wonderful.

We've just started harvesting courgettes, red onions are still growing but will be ready to pull up soon, tomatoes are beginning to ripen, and we'll be having baby carrots shortly.  Perpetual spinach plants give us more green leafy stuff than we know what to do with!

Soon I'll be planting/sowing kale, leeks, spring onions, turnip and lamb's lettuce (also known as corn salad; an excellent salad vegetable which still does well in cold weather).  We've got a couple of Brussels sprout plants growing well (covered with fleece to protect them from cabbage white butterflies and other nasties).

Beer-filled slug traps are great.  Other things to deter the little buggers - they don't like having to slither over fresh coffee grounds and broken pistacchio nut shells.  

The Joy Larkcom book is excellent.

I'm between two lots of neighbours who are also into growing things, and it's lovely to swap and share seeds, plants and gardening tips!

Being out in the garden does wonders for my mental and emotional well-being - if i'm in a bad mood, just a few minutes tending to plants, or even just admiring them, puts a smile on my face.

Next year I want to turn the bottom of the garden into a lovely little fruit patch.

11/08/2008 at 13:18

There is an old boy in my local who I love talking veg with.

His answer to everything is paraffin

i finds it totally amusing that I persist going down the organic route when you could just 'spray em with bit of paraffin'

He always says he 83 & it's never done him any harm.

Maris pipers that have been rubbed in paraffin before sowing?? No thanks.

21 to 40 of 1,307 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.