Allotment News

81 to 100 of 1,307 messages
14/08/2008 at 11:24

Thanks FB.

Got a mountain of Swiss Chard as well,take a chance & plant it out ?

14/08/2008 at 11:30
yep - chard also winters well. if you've got any spare when you harvest it - please send it down my way. it's a cracking underrated veg
14/08/2008 at 12:21

No problems mate.

Can post you some plugs,if you would like any?

14/08/2008 at 13:32
nah - s'alright - haven't got enough space in my garden for veg! I only grow toms/chillies/cucumbers/courgettes these days - all in pots outdoors.

I've had big gardens in the past but when we moved last we decided to go with a smaller plot that needed less maintenance so we could get out a lot more - we wouldn't have been able to mix Ironman and all the training needed for that with managing a big garden, specially with 2 of us training. the last thing you feel like doing after a 5hr ride is a few hours breaking the back in the garden!

BUT saying that we are looking to move sometime and as we are reining back on long distance tri will look for a bigger garden as we do miss growing lots of our own veg......
18/08/2008 at 11:04

Woohoo!  Ate our first carrots yesterday!

I'd sown an early variety suitable for 'finger carrots' - whilst most of our soil is absolutely wonderful, there are a fair few stones about so thought it best to keep 'em small to avoid forking/weird shapes.

Germination from the first sowing was a bit erratic, although successive sowings mean there are plenty more to come.

Just pulled several out of the ground, gave them a cursory scrub and ate 'em all raw (seemed a shame to spoil the crunchiness).  Absolutely delicious - small but perfectly proper-carrot-shaped, and so, so sweet!

22/08/2008 at 11:33

I have really have had a tomato disaster of the highest order.

Most of my plants are beyond redemption due the bruising they have suffered from the rain.

Lost most of my crop & what has survived has been turned into a chutney,for fear of losing them if they were left on the plant.

Really annoyed

Then to cap it some blighters have only gone & eaten most of chard & sprouts.

22/08/2008 at 13:50

Oh no, BRT - that's awful!

I've got two out of three Brussels sprouts plants still intact, but some little buggers have gone and nibbled the middle plant to smithereens too.

I've had very much a can't be arsed attitute over getting rid of it because of the rain and working really long hours this week - hopefully this weekend I'll face up to the damage and remove the offending plant before the others are affected...

My tomatoes are still (just about) okay - only one fruit is showing any signs of ripening though, and that one's on the most pathetic-looking of all my tomato plants!

At least you made use of yours as well as you could - I may yet be doing the same...

Edited: 22/08/2008 at 13:50
22/08/2008 at 13:55

Definitely not a good tom year LP.

I have acouple of tons of manure coming next week which will need barrowing about 100 yards before digging in

22/08/2008 at 14:18
shite news on the veg front there BRT - luckily my toms are still OK and ripening well now......2 courgette plants are showing signs of mildew now but frankly not too bothered as I'm getting a bit fed up of them!! and I still have 2 others that look good.....

and it wasn't me that snaffled the chard...
22/08/2008 at 14:20
Maybe you didn't snaffle it, maybe you zuffled it.
22/08/2008 at 14:25
stupid boy - you need curtains to zuffle
22/08/2008 at 14:25
... or chard.
22/08/2008 at 14:37

The Chard rustler you've been rumbled FB,I'll send my mate Gary G & his sidekick DM to pinch it all back & sort you out.

Even on the plants that are in my poly tunnel I do not have a tomato near the ripening stage,all bloody huge but green & as hard as conkers.

22/08/2008 at 14:41

Erm  how do people get rid of the drownded slugs swiming in the beer?

The buggers have been at my strawberries which qualifies for a drowning but I don't know what to do with them after

22/08/2008 at 14:45
HC...keep them in an empty margarine tube till refuse collection day then dump them in your rubbish bin. 
22/08/2008 at 14:46
Or chuck em in field behind my garden for the birds
22/08/2008 at 14:55
snails and snugs go over the wall into the road - something for the birds to pick up after the cars have mown them flat......
22/08/2008 at 15:00
Blisters    pirate
23/08/2008 at 00:07

Something's been eating the inside of my chard leaves - some kind of leaf mining caterpillar perhaps? But most of them are thickening up nicely.

The runner beans are better this week than last week, it's been quite good for them.

Tomatoes? We're still buying them, despite 24 plants.

The apple tree (James Grieve) looks absolutely fantastic. It's on a small root stock and usually we struggle to get enough water to it, judging from results. The apples look good enough to harvest already, 6 to 8 weeks early. We'll wait though.

23/08/2008 at 16:14

are you still in sheltered accomodation FB?

i've been pondering converting a rather tatty lawn into a vegetable patch. the previous owners had a dog which basically used it as a toilet....should i do something to the soil or will it be ok with just adding some fertilizer etc.

i'm thinking i'll be digging it over and preparing for next year....any suggestions for the types of veg for the numpty would be appreciated

81 to 100 of 1,307 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.