Allotment News

1,201 to 1,220 of 1,307 messages
24/03/2012 at 15:57

I am digging over the veg patch at work. Well not right now but inbetween stints of sitting at the pc I'm digging over the veg patch at work and doubling it in size. Onion sets went in a while back. Am going to plant some peas as they work well. Brussels from last year are still in. No one uses them much but the rabbit likes them.

It's going to be a slow process getting this veg patch sorted. It was a flower bed lrft to weed. I'm trying to encourage composting but that's not going too well. At the staff meeting yesterday someone mentioned compost bins and I said I wanted bins and kitchen caddies for all the houses. Maybe we can improve the soil a little here at least.

This house has a very large mature garden but it needs a complete overhaul. Job for life.

25/03/2012 at 17:39

Veg patch at work? Unusual, is it a massive mansion or stg?

Jerusalems, garlic and asparagus all planted to join the onions which are starting to recover from winter. Strawbs planted and terraced beds built for rapsberries & fruit bushes.  Bit of a bonus to get all this done before April thanks to good weather.

Anyone else with advanced planting plans?

25/03/2012 at 17:51
Domiciliary care.
02/04/2012 at 14:53

Yet another daft gardening question - how do you know if compost is "done". And how do you fill & empty those dalek shaped bins? I have more than one, so I presume one is being filled while the other is doing it's stuff.

There's a limit to what you can get to through the little hatch, is it better to, when it's fully cooked, remove the entire bin & take all the contents out? then reposition the bin itself?

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
02/04/2012 at 14:58

Stop Press... We shared our first asparagus spear of the year yesterday.......

Just wish we could grow more than one at once

02/04/2012 at 15:18

One between the family doesn't sound like alot, Dave! But it tasted divine, it's one of my favourite vegetables. It's on my list of things to grow, but I keep missing the planting window... Oh, and don't quite know where to put it.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
02/04/2012 at 15:21

There's only 2 of us....

We have planted a dozen heads, But even after 6 years they seem to arrive one at once

03/04/2012 at 03:25

One is better than nowt.

My allotment neighbour has planted 20 crowns in a 3ft x 7ft bed....hmmm.

Still finishing the cabbages and kale from the winter - the crop that keeps on giving

Not sure about compost but when it's done it presumably doesn't seem much llike raw composty stuff any longer?**

**(displays monumental gardening ignorance)

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
03/04/2012 at 03:47
Compost looks like the stuff you buy in bags when its ready but with lots of worms
10/04/2012 at 09:06
Just installed another two raised beds plus two seed beds in the garden. Spent all day yesterday planting seeds. The greenhouse is full to bursting. :0).

Love this time of year
10/04/2012 at 09:13
We're back again to carrots and i'm trying tomatoes for the first time (from seed). The first bits of green have appeared but I made the rookie mistake (again) of forgetting to label the pots
10/04/2012 at 09:59

We have rhubarb. Lots and lots of rhubarb. Better start collecting jam jars and get that bucket ready for the next rhubarb wine.

Quite why I planted 4 plants I'll never know. They are all different, 3 are small but the 4th is huge no it's HUGE.

10/04/2012 at 10:47

Please can I have some of your Rhubarb.  Despite being one of the easiest plants to grow it always dies in my blooming garden.  I've resorted to putting it in pots this time.

hehehe Emmy-bug.  I got label wotsits this year.  They're fab although it does take the element of surprise away.

10/04/2012 at 11:25

@Happychap... I did it last year thinking "i'll remember which one is which...." until I moved them out of the way and they got jumbled together.

I wish i could grow rhubarb - it dies in my garden too...

10/04/2012 at 13:21

My rhubarb isn't looking elephantine, but it only went in this time last year, so I'll not pick too heavily. might manage a stalk or two though...

I bought those black stick things with a white marker. So I can tell the difference between carrots & parsnips. not much in it at the moment.

10/04/2012 at 18:59
Helen Liz wrote (see)

Yet another daft gardening question - how do you know if compost is "done". And how do you fill & empty those dalek shaped bins? I have more than one, so I presume one is being filled while the other is doing it's stuff.

There's a limit to what you can get to through the little hatch, is it better to, when it's fully cooked, remove the entire bin & take all the contents out? then reposition the bin itself?

Having had compost heaps for many years I've always got the best results from open heaps, as large as space allows. I only ever use bins for kitchen waste in the winter months but remove the bins as soon as the temperature warms up in Spring.
12/04/2012 at 09:41

Any experts with cherry tomatoes? Im a novice gardener to say the least and have planted seeds which have now grown in the conservatory and are now about 3-4 inches high in their respective pots. When do I transfer them to a growbag in my garden? I have one of those small poly greenhouses but im desperate for them to not die!!! any guidance from expert gardeners appreciated!

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
12/04/2012 at 10:01
Wait until they are about a foot tall, that way they will have less chance of getting killed by an early morning frost. When using gro bags make sure to cut a small leakage holes in the bottom. This will help ensure the root system doesn't get water rot by allowing excess water to drain off.
12/04/2012 at 10:50
I'd also put the toms outside during the day as that will be cooler than the conservatory so it will slow down the growing process - bring them in at night as it's still pretty cold/frosty overnight. they'd probably also be OK in the polytunnel overnight now

that's what I'm doing with my toms at the mo as I don't plan to plant them outside until the end of this month when the risk of frost is pretty much gone.
12/04/2012 at 14:28
Cheers both, hardly an allotment but you've got to start somewhere haven't you!
1,201 to 1,220 of 1,307 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.