Allotment News

141 to 160 of 1,307 messages
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
11/03/2009 at 17:21
Blisters wrote (see)

Potatoes

This is my first attempt at them. we have got a dozen seed potato tubers of International Kidney (aka Jersey Royal) and placed them on the window ledge in egg boxes to grow chits. They came with short purple sproutlets on them, but nothing seems to be happening. I WANT ACTION! Dear Mr Titchmarsh, am I doing anything wrong?

Seed pots should be in the dark

Yours

Mr Titchmarsh.

Blisters    pirate
12/03/2009 at 23:04

Really?

I suppose that there are two options.

Blisters    pirate
12/03/2009 at 23:08

BBC advice

Unwins advice

It seems like 7 degrees and plenty of light is called for. If no action, then a bit of warmth for a week.

Blisters    pirate
15/03/2009 at 23:33
Impatiently waiting
16/03/2009 at 09:38
There was a test on Gardeners' World a couple of years back where they just planted the spuds straight away and didn't bother with chitting.  The non-chitted ones didn't do too badly, so you could just shove half of them in the ground, and then see what happens with the rest?
16/03/2009 at 13:43

What a lovely weekend for being in the Garden especially as there was nothing on the TV worth a look

Finished constructing large two raised beds this weekend  from old scaffold planks

Had a panic attack this weekend when I realised how much damn soil would be required to fill the bloody things

Gonna have to speak with a local farmer & get a couple of JCB buckets worth me thinks.

Blisters    pirate
19/03/2009 at 23:23

What I've done so far has been in the garden here.

But today I went to the local allotments and spoke to a chap there. A couple of emails and my name's on a waiting list. Don't hold your breath though, there's 30 ahead of me, and the death rate is only average. Perhaps it's a retirement project for 15 years' time. I could hardly believe that the annual rent is only £15.

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
21/03/2009 at 11:12
I always put my pots in the dark for a while first as they force easier as they look for light. Then I put them in the light for a few weeks and now ready to plant. Have done the put them in the ground thing before with decent results too.
21/03/2009 at 11:13
Has anyone planted their spuds yet? I usually do mine first week in april (Warwickshire).
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
21/03/2009 at 11:14
Not yet(East Sussex) but mine are main crop maris pipers not earlys.
Edited: 21/03/2009 at 11:15
21/03/2009 at 20:17

No but I'm a creature of habit (Easter weekend)

Yes I know it moves by several weeks each year, but there you go.  I roll naked in the dew on 1st May whilst planing my parsley as well.

Blisters    pirate
21/03/2009 at 20:29

Why wait until the 1st of May, Hash? I'll roll naked in the dew with you, and we'll see what grows.

A nice day.
Spuds were showing signs of movement. (Jersey Royal) Greeny purple sprouts 1/2" long, so that's 3 in the ground, and 3 in a planter bag. I'm apparently waiting for 4 weeks before starting the rest in bags. Somehow I expect that they'll all come at the same time.

Onions sowed last week are already sprouting. Talk about the childish excitement.
Rocket seems to be growing from the ungerminated seed last year. That makes me happy.
Strawberry plantlets are in and seem happy.
Parsley already germinated from the propagator.
Glass is on the raised bed planter as well as a dozen bay yearlings.
Much savagery on some more bushes that had had the indecency to grow too large and woody.

Last year's chard looks quite happy. Some research tells me to expect that it will bolt this year, and I should plan replacements.

21/03/2009 at 20:59

My Dad says potatoes should be planted on Good Friday. Hi Hashette btw!

Very excited to find a running gardening thread.  Just exhumed my veg patch from under the weeds today (it was that or start mowing it).  There was loads of rocket, both self seeded and from the old plants but ripped it all out regardless.

Grow my potatoes in pots, so much easier.  Has anyone ever grown Sweetcorn in pots. I grew some on a friend's allotment last year but not an option this year. It didn;t seem to like my veg patch the year before.

After a year of crap tomoatoes have decided to give 'em a miss this year and wondered whether I could use the pots for sweetcorn.  Any thoughts oh wise ones?

Chard will probably bolt with longer warmer days (ie any minute now except it is getting colder again next week).

I had a very exciting session with my compost heaps as well today, slightly worries to see I wrote that, I really need to get out more!  But there were soooo many red worms in the active one, it was awesome!!!

21/03/2009 at 21:07

Evening all!

Time to re-bookmark this thread, methinks!

I'm really behind on doing anything in my garden so far this year, thanks to a very intensive amount of postgraduate study. But I've now prepared the soil throughout my entire plot, so time to get going!

I'm in two minds about tomatoes, FL.  I love homegrown tomatoes, but last year's were a complete waste of time. And yet I still cling to the optimistic hope we might have a decent summer!

TBH, you might want to give the sweetcorn a go instead as an experiment!  Can't be any worse than a really rubbish tomato crop!

Blisters    pirate
21/03/2009 at 21:09

The Good Friday thing is a load of old baloney, obviously. Easter can move by 4 weeks, and whilst Scotland can be 2 weeks late, the southern coastal counties can be 2 weeks earlier than average. So that's a 2 month window. I suppose that it acts as a reminder though- uh oh it's Good Friday and I've not planted my spuds...

Good news on the worms BTW, that's a really healthy sign. I've only got space for one heap in the household garden, so that means it's time for the dreaded harvest. (Remove new stuff, mash old stuff and use it, replace new stuff at bottom). A real back demolisher.

22/03/2009 at 13:42
i've started some lettuce, radish and beetroot in seed trays which are coming along nicely....is it ok to go ahead and plant them on in the garden yet?
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
22/03/2009 at 13:52

I would wait till after this cold spell we are sposed to be getting Haille dont wanna lose them straight away.

I tried the sweetcorn in a large pot (30" dia) but it was really small when it actually grew, only half normal size and not really edible. They have to be planted close together so they can germinate each other.

I've just planted my potatos as the soil is warm, and put my seedlings out in the sunshine.

22/03/2009 at 14:07
cheers mate, should i thin them out a bit or pop the seedlings in little plug trays?
22/03/2009 at 15:23
So you reckon potted sweetcorn not worth it?
22/03/2009 at 16:19

There are a couple of mini-sweetcorns that may like being grown in a pot better than the normal sized stuff, but they'll need a lot of watering

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/755/1.html

Not really the same as a big fresh cob that you can cover with butter and stuff your face in though!

141 to 160 of 1,307 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.