Amputees in Races

21 to 27 of 27 messages
06/08/2012 at 08:37

Behave Seren, it all depends on level..... i was often beaten by 43/44year old lady a couple of years back, she was a powerhouse,  1hr 15 for half , running for Britain at either half or marathon.

Really disappointly I've heard she's just packed it all in now! But I suppose the training must have been epic and sh not unreasonably wants to do other things now.

06/08/2012 at 09:14

@seren nos - experts have shown that he has a 25-30% advantage in a straight line.

06/08/2012 at 11:06
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

He was last in his 400m semi-final - so how can he be judged to have an unfair advantage over able-bodied athletes who all beat him fair and square?

In fairness, this doesn't really prove anything as we don't know what difference the blades made to his speed. It's not about whether he wins or looses, it's about it being a level playing field.

06/08/2012 at 20:30

imho the guy has lost the lower part of his legs and has managed to overcome running on prosthetics and be successful at it. I dont' suppose for one minute this has been easy and I would imagine the toll taken on his stumps is quite considerable. I would imagine there are considerable disadvanges, such as cornering, starting from the blocks etc. Until it's proven that a prosthetic is on the market that actually considerably improves natural running ability to the point where it is significantly faster than able bodied runners, I don't see a problem at all with people with prosthetics on their legs competing against able bodied athletes. 

Prosthetics that enable someone to actually run equivalently to an able bodied athlete derserves applaud, why should someone who has a disability remain at a disadvantage if there is equipment out there that can raise their ability to bring them more in line with able bodied. they still have to train to become acustomed to the prosthetics and I would imagine the journey isn't an easy one. 

08/08/2012 at 09:40

IMHO I think he's done a fantastic job getting to where he is but I feel a little uneasy about him being allowed in the non paralympics. He is a paralympic competitor for me and as such I think he should compete with his peers.  If he beats the lot of them then so what? He's the best of people comparible to him and rightly deserves his medals.

To me this has elements of positive discrimination and I am against discrimination in any form.

08/08/2012 at 10:12

booktrunk wrote (see)

In 32 years when the paralympics are going around in times half those of the "able" bodied athletes then we will know something is a bit wrong.

Umm... It already happens in the marathon. The wheelchair WR is something like 1hr18...

08/08/2012 at 10:15

True I didn't make it clear but was thinking more along the lines of those running upright with artifical legs.

Mind you by then we might just be growing new arms / legs in a big vessel of goo. But then could you get better replacement parts...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.