Andy Murray for SPOTY

He did it!!!

1 to 20 of 82 messages
11/09/2012 at 02:04
And now I can go to bed. What a day.
11/09/2012 at 07:56

I think SPOTY will be a hard one this year due to Team GB and Paralympic GB.

Not only that but you have Wiggo winning the TdeF too

11/09/2012 at 08:06

Very hard one, a lot of people who maybe previously have never considered it will now take part and vote, so it could throw up a loose one.

11/09/2012 at 08:08
Depends how much they take in the personality bit
11/09/2012 at 08:17

True, well Wayne Rooney it is then

cougie    pirate
11/09/2012 at 08:19
Noooooo ! Wiggins of course !
11/09/2012 at 08:21

Bradley Wiggins, Mo Farah, or maybe even Seb Coe?

11/09/2012 at 08:27

Wiggo or Farah.  Has Coe got a personality?

11/09/2012 at 08:36

Murray??? You are having a bloody laugh. Weir, Storey, Wiggins, Farrah all are far higher up the pecking order than Murray.

11/09/2012 at 08:46

Wiggo for me. If its not it would be a travesty

11/09/2012 at 08:48
As a runner I would normally say Mo but sorry it has to be wiggins for me.
11/09/2012 at 09:01
Anybody who doesn't vote for a parylympic woman is a complete bigot!! Seriously though I do wonder after last year, how much PC politics will come into it? Personally I would go for Wiggins but how do you compare Mo Farah's two golds to David Weir's 4 golds? Or Sarah Storeys's 4 golds.
11/09/2012 at 09:03

it is good to have so many sporting winners to choose from.

a big change from the days where main contenders for the SPOTY hadn't actually won anything.

11/09/2012 at 09:35

There will be losers this year that would have won it hands down in the past 20 years, which is unlucky but great for British sport. My vote would be for Bradley Wiggins, for his overall personality, quirky style and his dominance of the event, agree with The Vicar and others, however I fully expect (as does Sussex Runner by the looks of it) that sentiment will take over. My own personal view is that true sporting excellence is about being the best overall, and not just being the best in your category.  

11/09/2012 at 09:38

I've done a list this morning of potentials....14 names !!!

Not one footballer or cricketer.

How about Laura Trott ?

With only 2 races left in the ITU series...Jon Brownliee is on course for world champ plus bronze olympic ?

Also Rory Mcllory. Us open major, world number 1, more US tour wins than anyone else, and quite likey to be part of Ryder cup winning team in two weeks time !!

too many good people...well done

WiB
11/09/2012 at 09:46

There are many far more deserving people than murray.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 09:46
WiB
11/09/2012 at 09:46

Like most awards, it will go to whoever has spent the most time in the limelight in the run up to the voting opening.

11/09/2012 at 10:05

It's a close call between Wiggo and Mo for me. It's almost impossible to call on the achievement/landmark front - first ever British Tour winner + Olympic gold medallist vs. first ever British Olympic long distance champion/double Olympic gold medallist.  Wiggo possibly edges it for me but I wonder if he's at a disadvantage with Cav having won it last year?

And the thread was about Murray - hats off to the fella, great achievement.  He's not necessarily up there in the public's eye on the "personality" front, although he did come out with some quality blubbing at Wimbledon. 

11/09/2012 at 10:07
The BBC will be under pressure to give it to Jess Ennis after having no women on the list last year
Edited: 11/09/2012 at 10:09
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
11/09/2012 at 10:23
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
The BBC will be under pressure to give it to Jess Ennis after having no women on the list last year

Its voted for by the public.

Going to be a tough tough one this year, I think Jess is in with a shout, she's got the personality and appeal that the award needs (completely opposite to Murray).

I was also thinking about this last night there are so many contenders its going to be very very interesting who wins.

From the top of my head the shortlist shoud include:

Mo Farrah
Bradley Wiggins
Andy Murray
Jess Ennis
Laura Trott
Chris Hoy
Sarah Storey
David Weir
Ellie Simmonds

Their are a lot more worthy winners like Alistair Brownlee but they/their sports are not high profile enough

If I was pushed to choose, I think Mo Farrah deserves it most, he also has the appeal and personality.

1 to 20 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.