Any good pumpkin recipes???

14 messages
31/10/2006 at 17:48
My daughter has grown 2 huge pumpkins and we have just made them into lanterns. As a result I have tons of pumpkin flesh and not sure what to do with it.

Does anyone have any good tasty ideas on what to make with it ????
31/10/2006 at 17:52
I did a pumkin risotto last year.Anthony Worrel Thmpson recipie.I don't hve it any more but it is on the BBC web pages.Go there and search the BBC web.
Just tpe in pumpkin,recipie.
31/10/2006 at 18:19
spicy pumpkin soup ??
pumpkin pie??

Sorry got no real recipies but i'm sure good ole internet will provide !!
31/10/2006 at 18:32
1 large pumpkin
1 large hooded trick or treater
a few onions

chop ingredients into mouthsized chunks and bake in oven with jiblet gravy.
31/10/2006 at 19:31
Thanks for ideas guys

Hoose - my oven not big enough for a hoody :o)
31/10/2006 at 19:34
lav to cut 'em uin chunks GE

tbh -never had pumpkin:o-
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
31/10/2006 at 19:37
Had a Belgian in Spain, she was nice :-P
31/10/2006 at 20:08
Pumpkin soup is gorgeous, unfortunately my recipe is in Italy and I am not :o(
31/10/2006 at 20:14
Current issue of BBC Good Food has some good recipes including pumpkin bread.
Duck Girl    pirate
31/10/2006 at 20:29
Pumpkin soup:

chop up & fry onions, garlic, fresh ginger (if you like them), and / or a dollop of curry paste.
add a bit of boiling water, some veggie stock/marmite, tinned tomatoes, orange juice, carrots, red lentils ('cos they don't need soaking), & contents of last week's vegbox - and the pumpkin, peeled & chopped.
Boil for a few mins, then simmer for a while (30 mins at least if lentils).
When everything's squidgy, then either serve as is, or stick in food processor.
Ladle into bowls, serve (I like tahini drizzled on top).

WIth the pumpkin seeds:
pull off stringy orange stuff
roll in salt (optional, but much nicer)
bake in oven 'till shells are crunchy (~10 mins)
take out, use your teeth to crack open the white husks & eat the seed inside. Tastes a bit popcorn-ish.
31/10/2006 at 20:29
Pumpkin jam is good.

3lb pumpkin flesh cubed and boiled till soft, drained, then mashed.
Add 3lb sugar, juice and grated rind of two lemons, a couple of inches of ginger grated, a couple of dried chilies crushed.
heat to disolve sugar, then boil 'till set.
31/10/2006 at 20:43
my boys made lanterns at their holiday club over half term

there are three of my boys and probably another 20 kids
all made lanterns

they threw ALL the pumkin flesh away!!!
i couldn't believe it

i would have had some and put it in the freezer
31/10/2006 at 20:51
approx 1kg of pumpkin. Peeled and diced, 1 onion roughly chopped. Fry onion, add tablespoon of red thai curry paste. Add pumpkin and enough stock to just cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Blend, add can of coconut milk, warm through, season and serve with fresh coriander.
01/11/2006 at 11:17
Here's one for ickle pumpkins:

chop off the top and scoop out the seeds. Chuck them out. Into the hollow, add some basmati rice, grated gruyere cheese, chicken or veggie stock, ginger/coriander/curry paste/bit of chilli powder (depends if you like them)some cream and a splash of white wine. The stock should about half fill the hollow. Wrap your pumpkin in a double layer of tin foil and put it onto a baking sheet that has a lip all round it (in case of explosions)
Bake for around 45 minutes or until everythings cooked and smelling yummy. You can serve it straight from the pumpkin and just scoop the flesh from the sides with some of the now soupy gloop from the middle, or you can be posh and liquidise it all before using bowls.

Guess which version I go for?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.