Any vets around?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
26/04/2013 at 17:26

Could you ring your vet or an out-of-hours service?

26/04/2013 at 17:32

what's up with him? 

26/04/2013 at 18:08

Probably worth taking him to the vets to get checked out, but I'm sure it won't be anything serious.

One of ours can be a bit stiff sometimes when he gets up from being asleep, but it's when he's curled himself up into a little ball (even though he's bloody huge) and i think he ends up with a dead leg from sleeping on it.  Could it just be the way he's lying while he's asleep?

26/04/2013 at 18:23

kk, does your dog have problems running around? Like its dragging its back legs. Could be the trapped nerve, then again could be something else like arthritis which can hit any dog of any age. Contact a vet, ask for their opinion, then you can decide to get it check. I would ask a vet whether physio and maybe cod liver oil would benefit. Just like a human with stiffness, these can help a dog too. But worth asking anyway.

26/04/2013 at 18:36

Would suggest physio. I remember my German Shepherd. His back legs got stiff and it become harder and harder to move. One day in the park, a women look at my dog, started doing physio on its back legs, then suddenly he was running around. She showed me what to do and it gave him years before giving up at 14. Arthritis is the worst thing but there are ways around it in helping.

26/04/2013 at 18:39

(((KK))) feel for you totally. I'm dreading Grace dying - not that she shows any signs of doing so thankfully and is only just coming up to eight years old.

Get the insurance - we found M&S the best, I think it's only a four week wait as long as they wouldn't see it as a pre-existing condition due to the former trapped nerve - and then get him to teh vet for x-rays, nerve conduction tests, whatever and set your mind at rest.

26/04/2013 at 19:48

Just be aware that as I found out the hard way, taking on insurance after you have already had treatment for 'something' could make future claims invalid. I am sure you can work that out, but .... was the trapped nerve ANYWHERE near where he is stiff?

If it is, insurance could well be a waste of money.

Better not to do it than get stressed when they refuse to payout on a 'possibly' related problem. That is sooooo stressful.

I now use petplan for my cats, bit more expensive, but worth it.

Just sayin

26/04/2013 at 20:09

kK, years ago I had a Labrador who suffered from canine hip displasia, similar symptoms to what you describe, with a pronounced wiggle when he was running down hill. Good news is that he responded well to anti inflammatory medication. I'm sure there will be loads in this on t'interweb. 

26/04/2013 at 20:13

My husband a dog trainer and we have 5 dogs - agree with Jen, hip dysplasia sounds very similar symptoms.  Has he had his hips scored?  Sorry you are worried, animals have a habit of bringing out our emotional side (still traumatised from finding our cat on road after being knocked over). 

26/04/2013 at 20:15

I have always had pet insurance. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't TBH.

They all get ill or get into scrapes at some point,

26/04/2013 at 20:21

((KK)) I hope its nothing serious. We noted it of similar thing with out dog but it was as Saffy suggested - his leg was dead from laying on it in a weird position!

it might also be worth seeing how the chap is after a long run/walk and if there's anything different on the back end? We recorded ours to make sure that we were being overly dramatic Or emotional (And to show to the vet)

26/04/2013 at 20:29
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Because it's expensive.  

26/04/2013 at 20:31
CheesyRider - Born to be Mild wrote (see)

Just be aware that as I found out the hard way, taking on insurance after you have already had treatment for 'something' could make future claims invalid. I am sure you can work that out, but .... was the trapped nerve ANYWHERE near where he is stiff?

If it is, insurance could well be a waste of money.

Take it to a different vet who doesn't know what previous treatment it's had ?   

27/04/2013 at 11:52
popsider wrote (see)

Because it's expensive.  

Too right - when the cat began to cost more than the car to insure I went for a cheaper version.  Very annoying you don't get no claims bonus with a cat, he's never been ill in his life but they know we are all suckers... the insurance companies that is, OBVIOUSLY cats know we are suckers that's why they domesticated us in the first place.

KK hope your dog is better soon, maybe he needs sports massage?

27/04/2013 at 11:58

What breed /size is your dog ...........have you looked into hip dysplasia?

27/04/2013 at 12:41

popsider wrote (see)

Because it's expensive.  

But not as expensive as when your pet gets a serious injury or chronic condition, that's the whole point.

If KK's dog does have an arthritic condition, long term management of it could cost a fortune.

Still, I suppose that sort of thinking is why some people don't bother with home or travel insurance either....

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 12:52
27/04/2013 at 12:57

"It's an expensive gamble"

Spot on.

But I'd rather pay a manageable monthly or annual bill I'm expecting than a massive one I'm not.  The worst case scenario is that you have to choose between giving the animal treatment and having it put to sleep because you can't afford it - I'd never want to be in that position

K80
30/04/2013 at 15:12

How's Cole KK?

We used to rescue / foster Great Danes. The first one crippled us financially with vet bills so we got the others insured the minute we picked them up.

Petplan were fabulous but pricey. Nowadays we have a lurcher and Argos pet insurance. We haven't needed their services but i've heard good things.

30/04/2013 at 21:01

Hi there,

If the dog exercising fine and having no trouble with general mobility then it's likely to be more a soft tissue problem - perhaps a pulled muscle, strain or sprain.  Rest and painkillers (NOT human ones) often sort it out.  It could be suggestive of a spinal problem as well though, so that would need to be investigated if conservative management didn't work.

Arthritic dogs are usually a bit slow and stiff on getting up then warm out of it with exercise so things get better with activity.  Collies aren't that prone to HD but it's not impossible.

I would definitely recommend insurance.  I work at a vets and all staff pets are insured.  We can do so much more for animals nowadays but the technology and expertise doesn't come cheap and it's nice to have all options available for treatment and not just be limited by finances.  For those suggesting go to another vet, that doesn't work because you need to declare it to the insurance company and a good vet will always get previous vet details to ensure there are no issues to be aware of with the pet's health.

It is a gamble but it's also peace of mind.  I knew a lady who took out insurance for her older cat.  He developed a thyroid condition and needed radioactive iodine treatment which involved 3 weeks hospitalisation (because the cat is radioactive!) and a lot of blood testing. The total cost of treatment was about £2000.  Two days after being released from hospital, the cat broke its leg and was promptly sent back.  It was a complicated fracture and cost a further £2500.  I would say that the £12/month on insurance was well spent! 

Hope your wee dog is back to full speed soon!!

30/04/2013 at 21:17

My insurance is up for renewal around 340 for a 6 year old Labrador, does that sound about the going rate?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.