anyone speak Finnish?

I'm after a quick translation for a friend

12 messages
21/01/2009 at 08:24

One of my quilting friends has had one of her pieces shown in a Finnish quilting magazine (who even knew there were such things?), and she wants to know what the commentary next to it says. I know this forum is full of people with a wide range of skills and talents and wondered if anyone can tell us what this means:

Kangas kasinvarjatty, [with umlauts over each A] tikkauksia ei ole merkitty etuka-teen [word hyphenated but at the end of a line] Antaa menna vaan.

Ta!

21/01/2009 at 08:32
Cloth blah blah, ,  the quiltings have not been marked, blah blah blah......... I have no idea really but used online translator
Edited: 21/01/2009 at 08:33
21/01/2009 at 08:34

Tell her it says....

This piece is truely outstanding in it's workmanship

21/01/2009 at 08:35

It is...but is that what it says?

21/01/2009 at 08:40
I'll let you know in a few hours
21/01/2009 at 09:30
try Google Translation Tools - link just to the right of the search box on the Google home page
21/01/2009 at 09:38

I got pretty much what Pig got: fabric blah blah not marked, pre teen blah blah let go.

Possibly not what my friend was hoping for

21/01/2009 at 10:19
I have a Finnish friend. Have emailed her.
21/01/2009 at 10:48

Finnish - arguably one of the toughest languages out there along with Hungarian.

The Scandinavians all speak each others languages except nobody really speaks Finnish. The Finns do speak Swedish for instance.

So Don's Finnish friend is your best bet !!

Edited: 21/01/2009 at 10:51
21/01/2009 at 13:05
The fabric quilitings have not been marked in advance...... The last sentence means "let go, but" or "come on", which doesn't seem to make sense in that context.
21/01/2009 at 15:32
oh! Could the "let go" mean something along the lines of "free motion"? That would make perfect sense. Thanks for the suggestions so far
21/01/2009 at 20:39
Brooks the beast wrote (see)

The Scandinavians all speak each others languages except nobody really speaks Finnish. The Finns do speak Swedish for instance.

Swedish is the 2nd language of Finland - all officla documents are available in both languages.  Sweden occupied Finland for quite a while....all Finnish schoolchildren learn Swedish for most of their school time, though they all seem to conveniently forget it soon after. (I work for a half Swedish half Finnish company, and the politics is entertaining)

Swedish / Norwegian / Danish are very similar languages - more like dialects of each other than wholly different.  Finnish is totally off the wall...in five years I've learnt enough Swedish to manage daily basics and understand/write simple emails.  Finnish - I've learnt 3 words including hello!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.