Are there any topics that shouldn't be discussed on a public forum?

21 to 36 of 36 messages
08/07/2012 at 17:37

Personally, I might accept that they wouldn't necessarily expect some very "adult" material to be on "Runners World", so I would be willing to exercise some restraint

Other sites are available

Edited: 08/07/2012 at 17:38
kittenkat    pirate
08/07/2012 at 17:46
MikeFrog wrote (see)

Personally, I might accept that they wouldn't necessarily expect some very "adult" material to be on "Runners World", so I would be willing to exercise some restraint

Other sites are available

Yes, we don't have it on here but I still think that there should be parental control on exposure, for example if you don't want your kids to read the word fuck, don't let them on any forums.

This forum is very tame though, which isn't a criticism, it's a nice aspect. It's just when anything controversial does come up it gets blown up to be such a big deal. And in the big scheme of things, it probably wasn't that controversial in the first place!

08/07/2012 at 19:08
kittenkat wrote (see)
This forum is very tame though, which isn't a criticism, it's a nice aspect. It's just when anything controversial does come up it gets blown up to be such a big deal. And in the big scheme of things, it probably wasn't that controversial in the first place!

Spam Wombles? 

kittenkat    pirate
08/07/2012 at 19:14
Sean G wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Spam Wombles? 

They are fine, user mods aren't.

08/07/2012 at 20:13

There seem to be a small section of the forum that like to take offense at things and another small section that like to stir up the debate so that it will inevitably become offensive.

As for topics, I don't think that anything should be out of bounds as long as it is discussed with consideration for other peoples views and it isn't personal to any one specific forumite.  Keep the discussion general and interesting rather than attacking individuals.

kittenkat    pirate
08/07/2012 at 20:21
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

It's good to have your thoughts/opinions challenged. Infact I'd say it's absolutely paramount. There's too much bigotry and ignorance around. I'll disagree/agree with whoever. It's why I'll never join groups or factions. Pretending to agree with someone because of peer pressure is the ultimate sin as far as I'm concerned.

I love nothing more when my ideals, or opinions are challenged in a way that makes me think, "maybe I'm not right on this one"...Unfortunately that very rarely happens

That's my point in a nutshell.

kittenkat    pirate
08/07/2012 at 20:36
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

About your earlier post about diagreeing with mates etc. That's fine, but if you disagree with them more than you agree, maybe you should be looking for different mates!

About respecting a different opinion... Well no I don't, unless they can substantiate that opinion. Sometimes people will have an opinion, and they don't even know why they hold that opinion. It was basically given to them, because they are too lazy or stupid to think otherwise. I don't respect this, nor never will.

I think that happens more in the virtual world than it does in the 3D world in my opinion. I've never really fallen out with people until I came online, but it's fun and weird in the same breathe.

kittenkat    pirate
08/07/2012 at 20:37

Or key stroke...

09/07/2012 at 10:07
Sean G wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Spam Wombles? 

Ha! I was going to say that, how many pages are those threads running at now?

There are lots of things that I wouldn't discuss on a public forum, but have no objection to other people discussing it. At least it helps identify who the people with bigoted Daily Mail reader-type opinions are so that I know who to ignore in future

Edited: 09/07/2012 at 10:08
09/07/2012 at 12:00
I think we all need more controversial subjects. I like finding out about things that are not widely discussed. I often challenge my way of thinking as well as other peoples thinking, and lot of people do find me weird in that way but I am, like anyone else, also guilty in settling in my opinions at times. I get upset too easy too and perhaps getting different perspectives in subjects will help me develop myself as a person.

I could throw some meaty subjects out there but after the recent hostile reaction I got I'm quite scared of doing it now... Don't like to upset people in any way.
09/07/2012 at 12:52

Elli, I wonder if those people really were upset or just pretending to be in order to get a reaction from yourself. Rhetorical indignation if you like.

09/07/2012 at 12:58
Well if that was the aim they definitely succeeded.
09/07/2012 at 13:27

Elli, be brave and keep the controversial subjects coming.  Issues like the one you raised need talking about otherwise how are those of us that are new to the ideas able to accept and understand the issues of others.

You will always upset someone, but to be honest that is their problem.  As long as you are respectful of others (i.e. not bigoted) then there will always be plenty of people around to support your right to ask questions.  Some people seem to like being offended.

09/07/2012 at 13:33

+1 with SuperCaz 

kittenkat    pirate
09/07/2012 at 13:37
Elli of the North wrote (see)
I think we all need more controversial subjects. I like finding out about things that are not widely discussed. I often challenge my way of thinking as well as other peoples thinking, and lot of people do find me weird in that way but I am, like anyone else, also guilty in settling in my opinions at times. I get upset too easy too and perhaps getting different perspectives in subjects will help me develop myself as a person.

I could throw some meaty subjects out there but after the recent hostile reaction I got I'm quite scared of doing it now... Don't like to upset people in any way.

I'll start them for you

09/07/2012 at 13:40
Vixx76 wrote (see)

+1 with SuperCaz 

+2.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.