Are you odd?

What makes you think you are wierd?

81 to 100 of 102 messages
10/11/2012 at 18:30

Most of my CD collection is classical not pop/rock (which probably makes me pretty weird in itself); within composer I tend to do symphonies (in order of composition), then other orchestral music (tone poems, etc.), then concerti (again, in order of composition; violin concerti go first because I'm a violinist); then chamber music (sonatas first; then string quartets, then anything else); then anything else (cantatas, etc.).

IronCat5    pirate
10/11/2012 at 20:58

My wife binned my CDs as we now have then on the IPod.

Volume on the car can be any number in town, but should be 7 on the motorway. It does get louder as speed increases. It is acceptable to turn it up for a good song.

I can't hear very well when I wear my glasses.

seren nos    pirate
10/11/2012 at 21:01

cat.i thought you said it was acceptable to turn it up for a good snog..................snogging whilst driving on the motorway would be odd..........

IronCat5    pirate
10/11/2012 at 21:18

I guess you need a third person to tell you when to steer!

10/11/2012 at 22:56
sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

I studied neuroscience as part of my first degree 

Today Cake informed me that I always walk on his left hand side. I hadn't realised that I did. 

Are you sure it's not cake always walking on your right hand side?

11/11/2012 at 08:38

When OW swimming with just one other person, they have to be on my right.  If I'm with a group then at least one of them has to be on my right.

This generally works well as the person I swim with the most likes to have her companion on the left.

11/11/2012 at 15:08
Oh dear!

I think I have a very unhealthy relationship with my CD collection....1500 of the little b*ggers all shelved up in alphabetical artist number, with separate shelves (shelves!) for the compilations which are in alphabetical order by title. Spaces at the end of each shelf to enable new additions to be added without having to reorganise.

In addition they are all ripped to hard disk - lossless, none of this MP3 inferior bit rate, so that they can be streamed to various rooms in the house. This was a huge task but essential (honest!)

I use itunes to catalogue and play them, but I have my own genres and use the itunes grouping feature to further categorise the albums into essential, memorable, current listening, etc

So far not obsessive....just a natural attention to detail.

I've got the cover art for every album, downloaded from the applestore, copied from amazon or as a last resort scanned from the original cover art work.

I'm currently about halfway through rating (1 to 5 stars) every song on every album (16200 in total...gulp!) and have also made a tentative attempt to download the lyrics for each song, to be displayed every time the song is played.

Fortunately I can only be obsessive about one thing at a time so the lyrics project is currently on hold as I am at present running injury free.

Oh Dear!
12/11/2012 at 00:26

Congratulations Tom - that is indeed weird! My record collection of vinyl (dance music) is in no particular order, however sort of nearly grouped so that the good ones are nearer to my decks than others. The thing is, I can spot a record I want to play next in a mix from just the 5mm edge of the cover - is that weird?

12/11/2012 at 15:55

I run. 

12/11/2012 at 16:33

I was with you Tom until the star ratings for every song. I have 18000 or so similarly shelved although the compliations are not alphabetical but genre sorted.

Very fond of sherry and madeira

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 16:42
12/11/2012 at 23:33

I walk on my OH's left. What does that mean? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???

I also tend to group colours in sweets such as Skittles and M&Ms. In groups of 3, obviously.

flyaway    pirate
13/11/2012 at 08:20

There is nothing weird about Tom's thorough, logical system.

I sieve baked beans once they're hot, because the sauce is nasty and makes the toast soggy.

13/11/2012 at 09:02

Good grief you lot, seems like odd is the new normal!

13/11/2012 at 13:35

Oh nononononononononono! Normal is boring!

13/11/2012 at 20:57

I see similar traits to Tom in myself as far as the CD collection goes.

Everything is lossless and has cover art attached.  I also have the bpm of every track.

I make sure the title of the same tracks are encoded exactly the same on each and this also extends to groups. This goes so far as punctuation in the track title or artiste name I use the Guiness Book of British Hit Singles as my bible

13/11/2012 at 23:50
flyaway wrote (see)

I sieve baked beans once they're hot, because the sauce is nasty and makes the toast soggy.

That's just common sense.

(I.e. I do that too)

14/11/2012 at 00:07
Elli of the North wrote (see)
PhilPub wrote (see)

All people and personalities are associated with a certain colour to me. I have a green brother and a red sister. My mum is pale pink and my dad is dark blue.

My best friend is yellow and a man who-things-are-complicated-with is burgundy

Sounds like a form of synesthesia.

Any neuroscientists in the house?  They must be loving this shit. 

Yeah have heard of that. All my weekdays, months and numbers are equal to certain colours as well. And words get a slight tint as I read them on paper/screen. 

I was thinking Synaesthesia when I saw your post too. Out of interest do you I actually see colours associated with people or is it more the concept of the colour? Always thought Synaesthesia was fascinating, and then found out that having shapes for things like number lines or the alphabet is a type of Synaesthesia. I just assumed that everyone did it! I remember as a child arguing with my sister as to whether our shapes for the months of the year went in a clock wise or anti-clockwise direction (the answer is obviously clockwise!).

14/11/2012 at 00:09

But more weird is that I noticed I don't poo for  the first couple of days when I go on holiday. No idea why - it's not like I have trouble going when out and about. It's like my body says "ooh holiday, better avoid the toilet!"

14/11/2012 at 11:30

One of the effects of modern telephony is to change a marker for oddness.

It used to be that talking to yourself on the high street would be seen as a sign of madness. Now you can safely talk to yourself as others will assume you are talking on a phone.

14/11/2012 at 21:47
Catalin Bond wrote (see)
PhilPub wrote (see)

All people and personalities are associated with a certain colour to me. I have a green brother and a red sister. My mum is pale pink and my dad is dark blue.

My best friend is yellow and a man who-things-are-complicated-with is burgundy

Sounds like a form of synesthesia.

Any neuroscientists in the house?  They must be loving this shit. 

Yeah have heard of that. All my weekdays, months and numbers are equal to certain colours as well. And words get a slight tint as I read them on paper/screen. 

I was thinking Synaesthesia when I saw your post too. Out of interest do you I actually see colours associated with people or is it more the concept of the colour? Always thought Synaesthesia was fascinating, and then found out that having shapes for things like number lines or the alphabet is a type of Synaesthesia. I just assumed that everyone did it! I remember as a child arguing with my sister as to whether our shapes for the months of the year went in a clock wise or anti-clockwise direction (the answer is obviously clockwise!).

I'm not really sure. I just think of a colour when I think of a person, or a month, or a weekday. So I guess I see it in a way but then when I try to just pay attention to the colour, it fades and I can't really make my mind up whether it's actually green or blue.

Unless its a friend I know well. Months etc that keep repeating are self explanatory colourwise. 
I always thought everyone did that too. Both my sister and brother do so I also just assumed its normal.

I've read about that shapes and 3-dimensional stuff. I find it interesting but I'm not really sure I get it. What sort of shapes do you see? For example, what does February look like to you? Mine is white with red outlining to emphasise it on a grey background. Funny I just realised that my iPhone is like February. It's a white one with red case around it

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 21:49
81 to 100 of 102 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.