As an aid to someone who is a few stone over-weight, which is better...

running or cycling..?

21 to 24 of 24 messages
06/07/2012 at 14:54
Tom77 wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)
How does cross country skiing burn more Kcals than walking?

See here for calories burnt doing various activities.

Cross country skiing is damn hard work, that's why they have ski lifts.

I can confirm that x-c skiing is hard work.  It's also rather boring, until you come to a downhill section, then you have no edges with which to slow yourself down.

06/07/2012 at 14:57

Duration, intensity, enjoyment. So when it comes to exercise, think DIE 

07/07/2012 at 13:36
Tom77 wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)
How does cross country skiing burn more Kcals than walking?

See here for calories burnt doing various activities.

Cross country skiing is damn hard work, that's why they have ski lifts.

Looking at that link the place to be is the forest, chopping logs

Lee the Pea    pirate
07/07/2012 at 14:39
Supercaz, when someone talks about wanting to lose weight, surely they mean fat though? As ou said, best way to lose fat is via weight training. I you're losing weight, but not fat then it is either water or muscle mass, and you certainly don't want to lose the latter. I'm not advocating no cardio at all, but just trying to say that weight training is better at shifting fat. While endurance /cardio will help you lose weight (i.e. when you go from doing nothing to doing something), longer term you plateau a lot more, and the more cardio you do, the harder it is to shift the fat. Obviously not eating crap is required too....i've lost some weight through strength and conditioning training, but mostly my lack of weight loss is due to being unable to stop shoving cakes in my mouth.

of all the folk i know who have lost a lot weight, they've lost more through strength and conditioning (i.e. weights) with some cardio than through cardio alone. Weights works your heart too, so it isn't as if you're sacrificing one for the other.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.